Homework!!!

:) I am sure there are many of you that have done your homework and finished your net study courses but there will be worlds of folks that could not be bothered.

It had been AG and my sincere hope that DFI would get the 754/NF3 boards on out to us before they hit the retail channels but as usual that may be only a pipe dream.

For that reason I have been doing a good deal of reading on other forums and studying to get some of the terminology a little straighter in my mind. You think 7MystX was fun well there is a lot more to decipher with A64 built to clock.

NO I am not blind> I know where this site is!!! Newbie/spincut> ask a bunch is answered by CodeBlue. A very good get accustomed read.

I was very enlightened and in that thread are a number of links that 'burst' apart many myths and rumors by virtue of testing.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster>:nod: quickmath

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice linky.. Im gona be sticking with my current rig for a while..haha, a while probably means a few months for me..lol.. But my freind is considering a a64 soon and that gives me a good base on knowing how that HT stuff works for him..

:confused: ...are you babbling about 'slavik'?

btw, for DDR memory, don't use "effective" speed ...
I have not seen any mention of speed? I am gone to the house and get some sleep it must be ghosts.

RGone...

:D :nod: :D ... you got to get with it!!!

glad I bought my LPB... all those A64 changes... maybe in a couple years when the A256's come out
Heheheheheheheehehehehee... I have a very good friend that can 'only' run 238x11 with CPC on and dorky CH-5 memory. I ask him every time we speak; how in hale you gunna stand JUST 238FSB. That brings to mind pore ole EMIL^TT^ that can ONLY do 240FSB. Such a crying, dying>>>>>>>>>>>laughing shame. Hehehe.

238FSB. Man, I tell him, you need to spend another 4 to 500 dollars to get some mOe FSB. How in hale you gunna stay with ONLY 238?

Flash forward> How in hale you gunna run dat POS NF2 thang when the A64 is fore shore 3 to 10% faster right out of the box. If you ain't going forward> you backing up. HEheheheheehehehehe. I hang my head every time I crank up my LPb or HOFINITY and only run 250X10.5. Dang em A64.5's will do a jillion FSBski's. Gotta go. Go do get raddy fer Hay64. Eheheheheeheheheheheheheehe. I dun siked me onselves out.

:nod: RGone....nutso:nod:

...might want to take a look at this thread. It takes them a little to get going about the cache amount and what is going to be left for desktop but they get it sorted at the end it seems. And actually it tells what has already happened and what will be left to get. Don't get lost in the shuffle.

1mb cache desktops about gone...

Sincerely, RGone...

Just wait till the LANPartyUT nF3 250Gb gets into our hands and you get the same question for the 100th time:

"Where the HALE is the memory speed setting ATCH?? A ratio watzz? rofl

I had to do a quick A64 setup for a friend on the weekend and it took me 2 whole days to figure out that you can't set the memory speed directly, you do it by a ratio that acts on the HTT (fsb). AND that it can be explained 3 different ways (166 bios setting/200 stock HTT x CPU HTT, or 5/6 ratio, blah, blah, blah). AND some bioses you had the setting as a DDR speed in the bios (333) and you had to use half that in the calculation. AND they just HAD to throw in that even that's just a user setting and what's really happening is a DIVISOR on the total CPU speed. (Did I really need to know that to change the settings?)

I Finally had to take all that info and realize what's new is just, now we got a divisor as well as a multiplier acting on the CPU! Once I finally clicked into that it all made sense. lol. The HTT is common to all in determing; Hypertransport, CPU speed, and indirectly memory.

But my head is still hurting.