Reboot\freeze - usual cause for these behaviours

Hi I'm having trouble getting much further on my 2500+ mobile, it can do 2.5 fine tested it for hours and hours in prime95games

I've invested (stupidly it would seem judging by the noise) in 2 tornado fans, 1 blowing air directly on mobo and one on my cpu heatsink (a thermalright AX-7)

I'm having some success getting further.

It would seem that the case temps will not ever rise above 32c whatever is going on at any frequency and I have also put another passive heatsink on the southbridge.

The cpu also will never go above 46c under full load.

However I'd like to get to 2.6ghz and I think it will do it (getting an SP97 heatsink tomorrow)

So this is what happens...

I run prime95 at say 13x200 = 2.6ghz and at first the system would just hang after a minute or 2. That means I need more vocre right? OK, so bumped up the vcore abit to 1.9v (it acutally give out about 1.84-1.89) then it would conk out after 5 mins with an error pretty sure it needed more vcore, so chucked in 1.925 and also tried 1.95 (is that stupid most likely abit too high for air in any circumstances?):O

Anyway when I did that it was all gud for about 12mins and then the computer just rebooted itself, the thing is the temps were the ones I specified about (32c46c) thats not very high, I think the fans are doing a super job of keeping it cool and a reboot is a sign of a high temp (I thought it was anyway?) so I'm kinda stuck there because this cpu's been WAY hotter as has a the chipset temp and still gone fine.

I've come to the conclusion that although I might not be ever able to get 2.6ghz stable out of the chip or ever 2.55ghz its pretty likely that the heatsink although not anceient its most likely just can't handle the heat disspation quick enough so no matter what fan is on it it just can't keep up.

My SP97 comes tomorrow.

what are your thoughts on this, whats going wrong, will I be dissapointed tomorrow?

so what do ya think?

hi people!

well ok I was starting to be sure that the cpu had reached its peak but now I can get it to run much longer at 2.57ghz (198x13)

at first it would crash after 4mins in prime

when i took the chipset voltage down to 1.6v from 1.8 it lasted 20mins wouldn't that imply my nb is overheating?

or am i a chump and lost it?

sounds OK....Mine runs better with the vdd on auto than anything else....

many have found that higher chipset voltage is counterproductive, while it has helped others....

Ahhh the joys of overclocking,,, there are no blanket answers!!

Keep going...keep going!

:confused: really a lot of things can cause your problem. To me for sure you are going at @ssbackwards for sure. The horsepower is in raised FSB and not the increase of multiplier. You can actually get the cpu clocked too fast and the memory does not keep up with it because the FSB is too slow and it dies because of that. In your case where reversing the 'usual' overclocking method and going with multplier upping (useless to me)>it would be my guess that your processor has soundly tried to tell you it has reached a limit.

And yes heatsink and cool to your hearts content but the cpu has likely reached an air-cooled limit as evidenced by the fact your CPU temp is not going very high now. All the other is just BS and guessing.

No one thing is causing it to die off except it has reached the top.

Sincerely, RGone...

:( sob sob sob

hmmm, your right both of you, but then we already knew that ;)

I'm going to have to accept it then - well for now, I really don't think Im going to be able to help myself giving it 1 *last* go tomorrow (yes I promise its my last and my fingers aren't behind my back) with the heatsink and nb1 cooler - your right about the fsb its very low, i need new ram.

I#ll leave it there then, pestering over 4 tonite :)

cheers lads