Sign in to follow this  
winc87

Any idea on how to clean the dust between the fins of heatsink ?

I'm using Thermalright SLK-900A. I found that the fins all turned black because of the dust. How can i clean it ?

spray can of compressed air for electronics.....

purchased at hardware store or electronics store.

do not use a compressor as it usually has water in it...and I do not recommend a vacuum cleaner as they create large amounts of static electricity

I take my pc's out to the garage and give them a good blow job with my 20 gallon air compressor... true they may have water in them if you don't maintain them... I leave the drain open when not in use...

If you can take the Heatsink off,,, then just put it in the dishwasher... turn on the dry cycle... this also removes oils from your finger which impead thermal contact between the die thermal paste and the heatsink...

In the US compUSA and OfficeMax regularly have free cans of compressed air after rebate. I always make sure that I have at least one new can in advance so that I can wait till the next free after rebate sale.

I use a soft paintbrush and an airzooka!!!!!!

My accountant had a hard time believing that an airzooka was a "tool"

Tis a real nice toy - specially coupled with some butane :D

Originally posted by mnkyboy

I use a soft paintbrush and an airzooka!!!!!!

My accountant had a hard time believing that an airzooka was a "tool"

Tis a real nice toy - specially coupled with some butane :D

haha, i never thought of using it as a tool either... i could see how it would though, it's amazing how much air comes out of that thing. i don't have one myself, but i've had friends/family with them etc.

if you use an air compressor please make sure you have a means to make sure the air is dry (im at a loss as to exactly what the darn thing is but the old shop you see in the ag.com screens has one on the air compressor). Its just good practice to not be lazy and say to yourself 'oh it will be dry when i put it back on'.

cans of compressed air are usually the best deals at Costco/Sam's Club where you can get packs of 3 or 5 or 10 for a great deal. Check sunday paper for Office Depot/Max or Best Buy too as they have specials.

one can of compressed air should be able to fully blow out an entire rig. Make sure you get within the fins of all heatsinks, under the sink at the cpu's surface (same with GPU's etc). Also blow out your fans and wipe them with a cloth...and when you do the psu, dont be afraid to stick that long red tube from the can of air all the way into the psu and really 'dig around' while blowing. This can disloge a great amount of dust that might have been sorta heat-caked on...then blow it from both ends (you'd be surprised at how much crap stick to the inside of a psu).

best of course is to pull the psu apart and do it manually but I hate pulling a psu out that is all pretty and wired up hehe.

I also like to apply a light coat of Pledge to a cloth and rub it around the inside of the case and across fan grills ;)

everyone has their own technique though, but just make sure if you use an air compressor that you are not using one without some sort of filter/device to remove moisture (even if you keep the tank drained)