Sign in to follow this  
Katch

BIOS Shadowing

Just a quick question. BIOS and video shadowing, is it best enabled or disabled. I've done a little googling and understand the principles and in theory enabling it should be a good thing.

I am sure however, that I heard at some point that is was better left disabled. Can't seem to find support for this, can anyone comment.

I've read several times here and there and especially in Rojack's ??? extensive discussions on Bios settings, that shadowing was better left disabled in newer generation computers. The older computers tended to function better when these were enabled; but not in the case of the newer ones wherein enabling will be a "waste" of resouces (more or less) and if my memory serves me right?!?

Now if only I can remember the exact technical explanation.....:confused:

Reason it's better to leave Video shadowing off is because the vid card memory is much faster than system memory now a days...

BIOS shadowing is only good to be enabled when you are working under DOS, if you don't, then it's better to be disabled. Actually, it's a feature of the northbridge+southbridge.

Originally posted by Katch

Just a quick question. BIOS and video shadowing, is it best enabled or disabled. I've done a little googling and understand the principles and in theory enabling it should be a good thing.

I am sure however, that I heard at some point that is was better left disabled. Can't seem to find support for this, can anyone comment.

Shadowing is a relic from the DOS days and extremely slow bios memory.

From Win95 and later Windows, when running in enhanced mode doesn't do any

calls to system bios or use any bios functions. You can remove the system bios chip

after booting into Windows and it will just keep doing it's thing.

The bios on modern Video cards is faster than system memory as well so that is

a looser as well even when running DOS now.

Viper