will tornado run from 3-pin connector?

am planning on getting the thermalright sp-97 coupled with a 92mm vantec volcano... can i run it from my 3-pin connector on the motherboard, or is it from the PSU only?

edit: i found my answer, feel free to ignore this thread and delete it or something, lol

heh, ok then. by reading around i found that it's the best to not use the 3-pin connector of the motherboard as it sucks too much power from the motherboard. it's best to put the load on a molex connector not to upset the current in the motherboard ;)

Interestingb ubt doesnt the mobo need to sense a cpu fan to post? I could be wrong but I thought I'ld run across that somewhere in my readings. The idea of stealing too much of the mobos juice seems a good one though. I've got and SLK900a and a 92mm fan on the way(60cfm no tornado) and maybe I'll check into that for mine.

Originally posted by nebuchanezzar

Interestingb ubt doesnt the mobo need to sense a cpu fan to post? I could be wrong but I thought I'ld run across that somewhere in my readings. The idea of stealing too much of the mobos juice seems a good one though. I've got and SLK900a and a 92mm fan on the way(60cfm no tornado) and maybe I'll check into that for mine.

I could be wrong, but I think the tornado comes with a lead to connect to the three pin header for speed detection while still drawing power from the power supply.

tornado on the Mobo..... very bad....

and some boards do have a feature that requires a fan be plugged in.... most of the time this can be disabled in the Bios...

that is not the case with the sisters...as in...it will run without fans plugged in

I have nothing plugged into any of the headers....

Got Tornado and run it off the molex from the psu, yes its got a sense wire so just plug it on too the mobo header and you will be set. Good idea to get a speed adjuster fitted as well as those Tornado's are howlers.

Just my tupence. ;)

i was thinking about putting a fan controller on the tornado, but a guy made a good point; if the fan controller dies so does your proc and probably your socket. of course, there's plenty of protection esp if you use the fan monitor in the cpu fan slot, but still kinda risky.

you can 7V or 5V mod the tornado and get much quieter operation from it while still pushing a lot of air from what i hear (switching the +12 and the +5 so it's running +5 -12).

i don't know, however, how true all of this holds. i know personally i'd much prefer turning a knob.

yeah...me too I was thinking about connecting my Ys-Tech 92mm (I have to receive it with Sp97) to AerogateII to turn up & down the rpms as I want...anyway the fact that if the controller dies so does cpu and socket...it is true...I'll think about that...if 33db of this fan will be too much for me...I'll connect it to Aerogate...if not I'll use motherboard's 3-pin connector