which CPU to get for best overclock?

Kamel

hey guys... first post here, looks like an excellent place. i've been trying to find a place for overclocking for a while now and all of them have sucked... this place looks excellent though :D

anyway, here's my problem. i've got a nice system, but i can't really break 200mhz fsb. i've hit 223FSB, but it wasn't stable (not even a little), and it required some really dangerous voltages, lol (2 at the core, 3 at ram).

right now i've got an xp2500 overclocked to a xp3200. it really can't go over 200mhz fsb, and the multi is locked :(. i am looking to get an xp2500 or xp2600 mobile cpu to overclock, but i'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. does anyone here know what i should do to figure out some things, such as "will this cpu indeed work with my motherboard?" and, i also need to know if i will need anything special along with getting a mobile cpu, i mean are they the same socket? and... will my current heatsink work well with it?

sorry about my newbism... i'm not the biggest newb ever, but i certainly dont think i've become an "advanced" overclocker yet, hah.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: ... mobile 2400,2500 and 2600's all work on the DFI sisters. Will a new mobile, let you overclock past 200FSB? My gut reaction is nO. When you mention scary 2.0Vcore and wildly outrageous 3.0V on the memory as also scary> I see that you do not want to go fast. My memory runs 3.2V and Cpu 1.95V all day every day to run 248X10.5 on my unlocked mobile XP2400 or the mobile XP2500. Normally I run 2x256 Kingston PC3200, old style which is BH-5 and have run a 512 stick like yours but at 3.2/3 volts depending on if I wanted to go past 220FSB or not.

So yes, we do overclock in here. But we do run volts on the stuff most of the time when we plan on getting on up there. Most of these guys who are the real hotshoes and use prommies and ice water do so that they can 'even', in effect run more volts thru the processor and such. No they don't raise the volts anymore but cooler equals less volts needed so the 'same' volts actually will push the cpu etc higher. Volts and cool is the king ding dong.

Get you a mobile and then practice overclockign by raising the voltages to get increased performance with an eye to good case and chipset cooling. THat is where the whole thing starts. Well maybe a jam up power supply to start the ball rolling when you turn the computer on.

Sincerely, RGone....

thanks... i don't really care to push my hardware at all, i guess i feel those are just scary because i hit some high temps when i do it. i'm all for upping my volts as much as i need to to hit the place i like (of course, understanding the risk of hardware failure etc), but unfortunately, i am not able to get water cooling ($$$). if there's a cheap solution to good cooling, i'm all ears.

basically i'm asking what i should do in order to get the best results from my current setup. i've seen people who state they've hit 250mhz FSB with the same HSF as i have (the thermaltake silentboost). or, if there is a fairly cheap solution to getting higher overclocks than i am... i'm interested.

basically i'm just saying i don't want to spend as much on overclocking as i would have just getting a processor that could do that to begin with. anything $150 or less i'm all ears, i may even pay $300 or a bit more, depending. just want to find out what to do.

appreciate your reply though, heh.

:confused:

i don't really care to push my hardware at all,

Then you should not overclock at all because overclocking by the very name and nature> is pushing components out of specification.

The rest of your post I do not understand at all. If you want a faster processor; then certainly get one but you first asked about getting more FSB and that is overclocking. Sort of confused me.

Sincerely, RGone...

hmm, i think you're confused by the statement "i don't really care to push my hardware at all" -- which means in other words, i'll up my voltage until my hardware bleeds and makes funny noises/smells, lol

There were certain runs of XP Bartons that just didn't

like to play too well.

Some run hot as he!! just for something to do.

Some couldn't stand high Vcore and high Vdimm at

the same time.

If I were you.... I'd sell that XP Barton to my little

brother and get myself a 2600+ Mobile and never

look back. These are the pick of the litter.

eXcaliber has 2600+ mobile chips, guaranteed stepping,

so drop by their website and see what they have. Or

you can roll the dice and get one from NewEgg.

Pops.

Hope this mini FAQ helps.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=88575

I look at a lot of forums to feed my need for knowledge and I would suggest you do the same. Google overclocking or something and just start reading the old posts or do a search. Most, but not all questions have already been touched on at least once. We still don't know if it was the chicken or the egg though:shake:

thanks, great link.

i've done searching on google, but it's really been hard to do because sometimes i have a lot of trouble coming up with a search string.

i've not done much in the way of overclocking my processor yet (i have overclocked... buuut, you get the idea). i only found this place by chance, lol -- i searched for "DFI LanParty Ultra B" review; i was hoping to find a picture of thermal throttling to prove to my friend that the motherboard does have it (and i was successfull in my search).

other than that, i visit many forums, but generally for my video card.

thanks again for the help, looks like i've got some reading to do :D

get one of the thermalright SLK series ... and geta smartfan2 ... that will work real well ...

get the 2400+mobile instead of the 2600, since it's rated at 35watts instead of 45watts, which means the Vcore at stock is lower and if you run it at stock, your temperatures will be VERY low ...