degraded performance of the M cpu's

mnkyboy

A couple of us here in Mordor (NZ) have noticed that our mobile CPU's dont have the same ability to run at say 166*11 @ 1.475 - I used to be able to do that fine - but in all my burning in and toaster making :rolleyes: I find my CPU needs a little extra in volts nowadays to keep it stable :(

Is this to be expected, cause I wasn't expecting it. I always thought it would be the same. It sort of rings a logical bell that it should degrade but on the other hand ...................... meh I dunno........... Im getting old; like sound98.........OK im not that old :D

I have a 2500m, my mate has a 2600m both AQYHA and we have noticed the same thing.

Originally posted by Popcicle

The power company that sells you electricity in NZ

is cheating you M8.

They are now selling you low-grade bunko

electricity!

Notice, he said Mordor.

And as Gandalf said, standing on the walls of Minas Tirith, "The darkness has come. There will be no dawn."

mnkyboy's electricity company obviously stealthy tries to follow these words :D

Btw, my Mobile does 2.5 Ghz for over half a year now with 1.85 Vcore. And I know, I definitely do not have the best electricity in my house. But in Latvia, we have the choice of only one electricity provider, so I'm living with that.

Originally posted by mnkyboy

A couple of us here in Mordor (NZ) have noticed that our mobile CPU's dont have the same ability to run at say 166*11 @ 1.475 - I used to be able to do that fine - but in all my burning in and toaster making :rolleyes: I find my CPU needs a little extra in volts nowadays to keep it stable

:(

Saruman's rising again !!!! :eek2:

Sorry, U asked a serious question....just wanted to lighten up things !

I guess running our bartons, desktop or mobile at speeds and voltages over 10% of their ratings will take a toll on some cpu's. It is but a logical consequence of abuse (remember electro_ _ _??? migration as an explanation). However it can also be another explanation like deterioration of some parts in the mb, again a consequence of moderate to severe overclocking...... so many things may not be functioning as well after 6 months of it ; but, my guess is as good as yours!!!

Lastly it might just be SARUMAN rising and wreaking havoc on your electricity !!!:shake: Who Knows !!!!!:nod:

wuahhahh...i think i did notice such thing with my 2500 which i've sold on ebay...but the buyer told me that that cpu rocked!!!:D wuahahahah...isn't that cool..and FYI, he has just bought that off my hands like a week ago and i sold already used, oced, sodomized, whateverized barton mobile barton to him for 81€ and i think it's about $100...nice eh??? doesn't include shipping..and now, thanks to him, i'm living happy with my 2600-m...wuahahaha :D life is indeed beautiful.

Being old and stupid in mnkyboy's opinion, I'm prolly way off base here. But I think mnkyboy is saying that his mobile doesn't like to run at the low "default" voltages anymore.

ie, 133 x14 on XP2500. (Think 166x11 is about the same.) And although the processors can operate correctly with 1.45 volts per AMD. Pretty sure that they default to 1.575v (need to) when in a desktop environment where "Power, Now" is not present.

Long, long time ago - pre-war mod days. I remember booting to 2000Mhz with like 1.49 volts. Kinda kewl, but a much different land than 250x10ville which I need 1.95 for these days. It can boot to windows at 250x10 with much lower voltages (1.8 or 1.85) but the stability isn't there. Don't feel like pulling the war mod out to check the "kiwi theory" at this time.

That 260x10 screenie you posted was very impressive mnkyboy so I would have to assume that the CPU is more than "OK". Like Emil, I would have to suggest that other system components are coming into play here.

Or it might just be the "Orcs" slacking off on their job at the power factory. Throw them a little more mud and a Hobbit's foot or two and see if that helps.

I had a similar problem with my T-bred B... It used to be prime stable 2200MHz @ 1.70v but after time it required 1.75 then 1.80v

I didn't understand what the problem was untill a friend sugested I try using a different power supply, so I tried his 550w antec and it worked like a charm... It once again became prime stable 1.70v.

It seems my old skyhawk 400w PSU just couldn't cope with the extra power required for overclocking.

Stuff breaks in, thats why alot of people burn in their stuff at stock or overclock. For alot of people settings will never be the same from a few months now. One day you will shut down your rig to go outside (whats outside?) and come back to turn it on and it will not be stable the last time you used it.

This has happened to me and I had to adjust to it. Sometimes it also means its time for a check up to clean the heatsink, reapply thermal paste etc.

Some of the prior mentioned points are valid.

Heavy heatsinks may move due to gravity over time and with the AS3-5 there may be dislodgement of a perfect seal. Thus hindering optimal thermal transfer.

I've noticed at times the need for more volts with some processors as well. With one it seemed to be due to taking it in and out of the socket. Slight wear seemed to occur on the pins. It seemed to be more prevalent with the older packaging.

The OS can also have an impact on stability. Through general use JUNK files build up, usage tracks etc. These all help to cause bloat. A good program that cleans the junk or a Clean install may help.