moral of the story, NEVER use winflash

Switched from a finity to a lanparty ultra b yesterday. Switch went fine. Decided to flash the bios this morning. Got lazy, used winflash. It said it flashed properly... lies. 4 leds of death. :( pulled out finity, cpu of another system, and ram from another system. Cracked the bios socket for the lanparty (only plastic corner) hot flashed (surprisingly, I was calm?) Success. Moral of the story, never use winflash. I wanted to save the two minutes in creating a bootable floppy, instead I wasted an hour. :( First hotflash though! Complete success, minus the whole cracking the corner. :O

Socket repair.... use some superglue to glue the crack... use a tie wrap to go AROUND the socket and clamp it TIGHT. TIGHT. That will prevent it ever doing that again.

I have PLCC sockets from 14-16 years ago that you would need a HAMMER to break, These days the stuff is so chinsey it breaks if you look at it.

Originally posted by uwackme

I have PLCC sockets from 14-16 years ago that you would need a HAMMER to break, These days the stuff is so chinsey it breaks if you look at it.

that's what i call "DEADLY LOOKS":eek2: :D

I've had a bad flash once with Winflash, it was actually just the bios that was giving alot of people problem. I think Winflash is the fastest way to do it, but you gotta remember that you are working in Windows *ick* and do not overclock at that time haha.

I've also flashed using Awdflash a few times and once it also went bad. Nothing is perfect so be prepared for this to happen. Get a bios saviour and/or get a extra bios chip for a hotflash.

Kinda think the moral of the story is "Don't flash without a BS".

or "it never hurts to know how to hotflash". Fact, hotflashin can be a lot of fun. Sort of a cheap rush if ya know what I mean. Props once again to SAE fer walkin me through my 1st hotflash.

Knucklehead that I am, I use WinFlash :nod:

And yes, I've dorked a board or two flashing when overclocked. No more. Swear to God. Waaaay too much hassle having to recover.

uwackme - you give good tip dude. like da tie wrap fix:)

:D :angel: :nod: ...the thrill; the addrenalin rush and just the plain out right drama of beoos flashing. Such a thing to be experienced.

"Don't flash without BS".

All my flashing is done wit plenty of BS. I hartly navuh flash wit out plenty and even sum mOe BS. heheheheheheehehehe.

I had to learn the SAE flash method. Flasher wit duh pedull to duh medull so she don't haf no time to get dorked. HEhehehe. Hit is em long beoos flashes whut keels. HEheheheheheheehehe. Jus winderup an let rip chip.

Winflash huh? HOkay iffen you want tuh. Me flashez wit dors. Hit have pEElenty of switches fer to usezup to confuze the issue and gat any kinduh flash yuh needz. HEhehehehehehe.

You know if Nvidia ever dragged their head out and made beoos corruption a thing of the past like say wit the new NF3 or maybe the NF4> then whut in hale we gunna do fer citement. Lost a hole new coined phrase outen the vocab in a heartbeat. Jus seams a shame not to continue their pattern of beoos coruptedtion. IOSS will go under so you beta sale yore stocks now cuz iffen we go back to the real world of bios flash on demand then their stock gunna go weigh down. Hehehehehehe.

Nuttin lak a leetle beoos corruptedtion two liven one's day or well nite.

Me is shorely gunna miss hit. RGone...1ster>:shake:

I look at it this way; I have seen the winflash process itself cause corruption many more times than the DOS flash process. The keyword here is PROCESS! PICNIC can screw either one up beyond belief, but the DOS flash is ultimately safer as there are a lot less variables in the equation.

Originally posted by uwackme

I have PLCC sockets from 14-16 years ago that you would need a HAMMER to break.

These days the stuff is so chinsey it breaks if you look at it. [/b]

That's what happens been when the consumer wants it cheap lol. Price sells now days

not high quality and durability. Winbond is a CLASSIC example of that. They produced

the best memory chips made but the cheap garbage from Micron and other "big boys"

won out in the end and Winbond threw in the towel. Now instead of good OC'ing

fast memory with tight timings you see mountains of marketing spin telling you how

great the new PC4000 memory is with timings so loose your 90 year old grandmother

could probably run faster if you could figure out how to stuff her in the Dimm slots.

You see the same thing in clothspins lol. Did you ever see a wooden clothspin break???

Have you ever seen a new plastic one that didn't??? It's called "progress".

Viper