Sign in to follow this  
Katch

New Mobile Barton 2500 - IQYHA 0408 RPMW

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Actually if his sticks are Kingston PC2700 HyperX (KHX 2700) they will be BH6 chips.

Viper

Exactly my point with the Vdimm! They may be binned @ lower speed but it's the same raw material that routinely hits 240+ and the winbond stuff loves the volts!!!!

Ok, in the interest of overclocking science I'm playing with my memory at 3.3v to see if elts_drac is right.

Running at

180mhz x 13.5 1:1

Vcore 1.7v

Chipset 1.7v

Vdimm 3.3v

Not stable. 3dmark 2001 competes but upon completion keyboard and mouse are not responding (both usb)

Pressing the power button starts to shut down the OS but hangs on the way out. Force to hard power off.

I will play some more...

Any thoughts?

:confused: You went to all the trouble to get a mobile cpu to be able to adjust the multipliers and you trying to clock on multiplier which in most cases is counter-productive to the reason we all run mobiles on the DFI sisters.

Lower the dang multplier as 180x13.5 is 2430mhz and is too high for many cpu's with only 1.7 volts on it. You gunna have to drop the multiplier and take to an extent the max mhz of the cpu out of the equation. Drop to 9 or 10 multiplier and put some dang juice on the CPU so 'lack' of cpu voltage is out of the equation as well.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

RGone...

what voltage do you suggest?

I far as I can tell I'm not gonna be able to stabalize this RAM past 178mhz, its just not designed to do it.

I far as I can tell I'm not gonna be able to stabalize this RAM past 178mhz,

Then there you are! End of experiment. Dead in the water at the speed you have attained. Good show while it lasted. End of conquest. 2430mhz jolly good run.

Sinerely, RGone...

Listen carefullt to what we are telling you because you aren't getting it. The same chips that on on your ram are also on ram as high as PC3700. The chips will go fast irregardless of what they are rated at with 3.3v of Vdimm. Drop the multi to 9 and crank the FSB. 10x240 will in real terms offer much more performance than 12x200. You want to primarily obtain the OC by increasing FSB rather than multiplier. The only guys that can run both are the guys running phase change.

Originally posted by elts_drac

The only guys that can run both are the guys running phase change.

I run 255x11 for card test with my lowly XP2600 Mobile and a WC'ed 226W TEC.

Viper

Dracs, I do understand what you are saying. The whole point of the mobile bartons is to achieve high FSBs and low multipliers.

However, even with the voltages turned up and the Vdimm at 3.3, if I set a low multi, 9 or 10, and try and move the BUS speed up even 1 more MHz, the system will not boot.

Are you telling me I'm better running 178MHz x 9 or 10 with high voltages than 178MHz x 13.5 with low voltages stable as a rock???

As soon as I get some better ram I'll be able to play with 3.3vdimm and low multi on high BUS clocks.

:) sadly...I think you convinced me!

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I far as I can tell I'm not gonna be able to stabalize this RAM past 178mhz,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there you are! End of experiment. Dead in the water at the speed you have attained. Good show while it lasted. End of conquest. 2430mhz jolly good run.

And so I wrote that. What most are saying is that although rated at only PC2700 or say 166FSB that they presumed BH-5/6 memory and most of that stuff no matter that it was PC2700 would go a great deal higher than 178FSB. Fact ViperJohn showed his PC2700 to be clocking 255FSB for his video card testing; albeit with a cpu that was consdierably cooled and that helps the memory for some strange reason.

Now the tough part. If you are not going to search the ebay type affairs and do a world of legwork> the only memory that will run any FSB on the DFI sisters and being made *new* today; will not need much voltage but will require that the timings run somewhat looser or as in the case of say Kingston PC3200A which is still seemingly available, be found only at a greater cost as is some of the newer stuff being hyped now.

The other side of that coin is that the EB stuff of OCZ is able to do pretty good up high but at a really high cost to the pocket book and it at no gaurantee of success that was more likely when BH-5 was on every street corner at reasonable price and such.

This then brings you to the next place I find that is strange but true and don't know if it only has come to pass because of the NF2 chipset or not but if you cannot speedUP the memory the max mhz from a cpu seems to langish at a lower speed also. Almost like the cpu can go no higher until the memory speeds up to supply information at a rate great enough to allow for the faster cpu speed. Sort of like if the one goes up or is desired to go up = the speed of the other must also increase. I know I have seen this symptom but not sure I know why.

All that said; you now find yourself at about 2430mhz it seems and that is that. We only wanted it to be faster for you, but you have got me convinced it ain't gunna happen. When and if you ever do go for memory to try and speed up your toys> be careful and get something that stands a chance of getting up there otherwise you are better off to accept what you have now and the fact it is stable and run it. That way you don't spend more to get less.

That is just life and it is full of compromises and such. Run it and have some fun is all I can say. It seems quite the done deal to me.

Sincerely, RGone...

Tnx for all the input guys. Gonna be popping some $$$s on a new graphics card next month and evict that nasty FX5200.

I'll dig up this thread the month after when I pick up some new RAM. I will probabaly go for some OCZ or Corsair.

...agreed and here is a link for you to a thread that is in fact a 'user' not review of the EB stuff on Infinity mobo. A number of things I read between the lines as it were. Maybe you will see what I mean.

Real Infinity use...

It gets harder and more expensive each day to run the DFI sisters at accelerated rates due to the lack of memory that is easy to find and consistent. But this should leave you with a real live user and his results.

Sincerely, RGone...

So real BH5, is it tough to find these days? Read the topic you posted to. Interesting results but I wouldn't be happy with that. I'm determined to shoot for 250 FSB with the RAM I pick up.

What's the deal with the Kingston Hyper X available at the moment? Is it no longer BH5?

My memory will probabaly come from either

Overclockers UK

CPU City (They had some Mushkin 222 specials a few days ago.... all gone now :(

Overclock

any advice?

My thanks to everyone who has already taken the time to help me learn the subtleties of OCing MB2500s on DFIs

EDIT - Do you think this is BH5?