Sign in to follow this  
Booster

Need help selecting speakers and more!

Hey guys, I got some mula from selling some stuff :nod:

Anyways, I first planned to get a RC monster truck, but I figured summer was about to end and I won't be able to run it as much as I thought I would.

So I have $700 bucks to spend, about $100 will goto two games I'll be reserving to get later this year.

Already on my list is the NEC 2510A dvd burner, now for speakers, I've been wanting the Logitech Z-680 for a while now and since I have the money I can get it, or should I get the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1. I know with the Ultras I won't be getting DD decoder but the sound will probably be much better. If your wondering, I listen to music, watch movies, and of course game on this rig so I'm kinda stuck on which one to get.

I was planning to get the Audigy zs card too but I'm gonna give the Soundstorm a chance since I've never heard how it was, if you guys read my past topics from the other forum. I have and still occurs problems with my sound where it will just stop working, all the bars in the nvmixer will be maxed out and sooner or later the comp will just act like crap. I'm hoping this won't happen if I do get the Z-680s to use the Soundstorm.

I guess typing this out kinda answered my own question of what to get. So if I do get the ProMedia I will need to get the Audigy zs since it has its own DD decoder, or if I stick with the Z-680 I can use the Soundstorm with the DD decoder.

Anyways I need your feedback guys, if you guys have any of these things mentioned, please tell me how it is. The dvd burner is on my "must buy it" list since I need it badly to back up some of these files, to bad the dual layer disks cost so much right now.

the sound is slightly better on the Klipsch, but my money would go to the Logitechs. Its the set I plan on getting for my Xbox/HTPC ;)

i have the 2500A dvd burner and the 2510 will be great for you. It brought this whole giant relief over me when I got it...sorta like when I bought my first 160GB drive...now there was nothing too big for me to save in case something bad happened!

plus I can use mine to keep mint condition movies from ever having to be played and scratched (let someone's kids scratch the hell out of the disk, I can make another heh)

Audio guy here:D

i bought my gf the logitech speakers and i must say i was impressed. the klipsch tend to have a heavy coloration toward the low end, while the logitechs seemed well balenced. For me i like the klipschs for what i would be doing on the computer. Also consider a "theater in a box" package. you tend to get better quality components and a decent amplifier and decoders. You are still in the low end of the audio market so it takes some looking to seperate audio quality from cool looking lights and buttons that plague the market to attract the budget buyers.

anyway, if you only choose between the klipschs and the logitechs, angry is right, get the logitechs and save yourself the money. Remember too that with the logitechs you dont need the sound card to do any real processing for you, you can run a straight digital out right to the speakers.

Yep thats why I'm gonna get the Logitechs. I can't order them right now since I have my cousin order for me, hes out of town right now. :(

I have the Logitech Z-640's and they sound excellent for about $50-60 depending on where you get them. The bass isn't as tight as one might want but they are LOUD! and do an above average job on music, excellent on DVD playback, and they rock on Doom3!!!!

Got my speakers an hour late of what fedex said I would recive it yesterday.

Got it setup, noticed they kinda went cheap on some stuff comparing with my z560 set. Alot of bass, sounds great, I have the latest one with the 1.1.2 firmware but has the white noise hiss in the background but you cannot hear it so its good.

Took me about 4 hours to figure out that I needed to unmute the spdif to get digital working heh. Now I need a good movie with DD to watch and see how it goes.

im using the 680's with the soundstorm and all i have to say is GO GET A DIGITAL COAX FROM MONSTER CABLE ive been using a regular coax cable and just yesterday i got a digital coax and OMG its nearly a night and day difference the sound is MUCH MUCH clearer..the bass hits a lot smoother and the highs and mids really come out, then youll start to hear things you havent heard before :D

my roommate has an audigy2 and his 4.1 kilpch's sound top notch with it..id definitly recommend one... i need to hook his comp up with my speakers now ;)

I bought my 4.1's about 4 years ago because maximum pc picked fo their Dream Machine in 2000. I still think they sound great. This year though they picked the Logitech Z-680's for their 12,000 dollar dream machine so I would imagine you would not be dissapointed with them.

Yeah, I was thinking of using the digital coax but then I would need to get the expansion thingy for it. Oh well it works great now, if I have time and want too I'll try the digital output and see how it goes.