A-DATA ram....any good for DFI LP B?

Right, I ain't even received the board yet, but eager to buy a gig of new ram for the board asap.

OK, so the good BH-65CHS stuff is hard to come buy, but I've seen some mushkin level 1 stuff in the UK (where I live)

I've also seen some ADATA at varying speeds, upto DDR500 which is the speed I want. Few questions tho.

1. Is adata just a dodgy "generic" kinda ram company - like say "m-tec".

2. Is it likely that I'll get DDR500 speeds with this ram on a Lanparty rev b. - assuming other components in system are up to it.

3. Would it be possible to looses then timings abit, or is this ram too crappy to get some nice tight timings at a high fsb?

4. Is the DDR500 any different to their DDR3700 etc etc.

5. I won't be using a matched pair, it'll be 2x512 mb sticks but can't find a "matched pair" for them.

6. Basically, am I fool for buying these sticks?

If it looks bad I'll get the mushkin, its almost 3 times the price tho, so if this will do the job I might as well use it.

thanks for your time :)

Used to have Adata 450ddr 256mb x2 sticks in my Shuttle SN45G, Asus K8V and DFI infinity 865pe. Superb memory, decent timings and runs well at low voltages. Pretty cheap as well.

Rob H

Well there are two product lines of A-Data. The one you most often see here in the US from Newegg would be considered the non-performance line. In Asia you can get the A-Data performance RAM and it cooks pretty good, you just can't find it here for the most part.

Given the right circumstances it can hit a really decent FSB, but the timings will never be 2-2-2-2 no matter how much Vdimm ya throw at it because it just won't run.

There are some VERY good deals on Mushkin 222 special at Newegg(bh-6 ram) that you would be MUCH happier with.

To PCWORKS, you will have to be careful giving advice in this forum based on any experience you had with an Intel setup. It just doesn't apply for the most part to those of us with AMD's and NF2 Chipsets. RAM that runs like a scalded dog on an Intel rig probably won't even be able to lick it's own nuts on an AMD due to differences in the memory controller architecture.

I would snap up the mushkin 2-2-2 but the cheapest I've seen it for 2x512 is £240 Vs about £150 for the DDR500 adata!

I live in the UK and don't know anyone from the US at all, so can't get anything from newegg :(

ADATA is a safe bet... Mine ran exellent in three DFI boards not to mention an Abit and Biostar NFII board...

Read the last post of the link posted above... you would be hard pressed to see a performance difference with the naked eye between BH5 and ADATA... Economical,High FSB--- win/win IMHO

Originally posted by ClockMaster

ADATA is a safe bet... Mine ran exellent in three DFI boards not to mention an Abit and Biostar NFII board...

Read the last post of the link posted above... you would be hard pressed to see a performance difference with the naked eye between BH5 and ADATA... Economical,High FSB--- win/win IMHO

I would say that a few of you are the exceptions to the rule. Of the people with adata who posted to that thread, yourself, dippyskoodlez,and mobsters, are more skilled than your average user. I've seen plenty of people from nforcers and pcper that had problems with it and that couldn' t get it to run fer squat. Maybe you got a pair of the performance ones and everyone else got the "value" type. I just haven't seen a lot of good luck with it other than the ppl I mentioned. As a general rule though something like the 2-2-2 special is easier on average to work with.

Originally posted by elts_drac

I would say that a few of you are the exceptions to the rule. Of the people with adata who posted to that thread, yourself, dippyskoodlez,and mobsters, are more skilled than your average user. I've seen plenty of people from nforcers and pcper that had problems with it and that couldn' t get it to run fer squat. Maybe you got a pair of the performance ones and everyone else got the "value" type. I just haven't seen a lot of good luck with it other than the ppl I mentioned. As a general rule though something like the 2-2-2 special is easier on average to work with.

It probably is, but as long as you dont mind 3-3-3-11, it will run happier than a kid in a candy store with any FSB you can throw at it :D

I run 2x 256Mb and it runs great. Have to get the Performance, Vitesta DDR500 if you want the good stuff tho. This stuff may not have the latencys a lot of people want, but for the $62 a stick that I paid for the stuff, I am FAR from complaining. What does BH-5 cost? $120 a stick?!! :eek: More? And 260fsb at only 2.7V :D