Sign in to follow this  
Mort_Lupus

Problems with overclocking NFII B

Hi Guys,

Ive had my NFII B for a couple of months now and I just got my new memory and cpu. Put the chip in and booted fine but if I try to modify the ram timings it will hang before it get to windows.

If I try to raise the FSB to 200 then it will boot to windows but crashes when i try to prime. If i try to raise the vCore to 1.6v then it will crash and wont post till I reset the bios

I have tried putting the memory in differenct dimm's, different timing's.

Even tried putting my old Barton 2600+ and raising the FSB but still the same problem.

Any ideas?

:confused: a good deal more back ground on what you were running 'that worked' and what you are 'now' trying to run.

LOgic says you had a working rig before and now you don't> so the question is did you put pieces in that are marginal or defective or do you now have something or some setting that is not correct for the current parts and pieces. So what worked and on what bios and now details of what does not work.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster>:cool:

also , if you are having problems taking big steps, take smaller steps, make 1 change at a time, start from stock speeds and then go up little by little until you start to have issues, then raise your voltages a bit and try again. overclocking doesn''t come with garunteed results, every board, every chip is different. take your time. patience is the name of the game.

I do all my overclocking fast and cheap. I set all of my bios options at once, then save and exit. Usually, the comp will do a no post, so I just press the reset button and hold down insert and !viola! the comp's back up and running at the overclocked specs. I have done this many many times on every bios I've ran so I know that it does not cause any harm to the board in any way and plus I can be a pretty impatient person. I'd much rather get things done at once than make two settings, reboot, and repeat (especially since the bioses of these boards are so extensive).

If for whatever reason you get into windows and the settings do not save correctly just reboot again and you'll be fine.

deception``

My fist NFII Infinity cant run more than 200Mhz..

No matter what settings i run.. isnt stable..

So i made a RMA and the actual DFI with the same parts (font, memory and etc) run at 240Mhz FSB ;)

:confused: are you sure?

press the reset button and hold down insert and !viola! the comp's back up and running at the overclocked specs.

Holding down insert for me and pressing reset gives this everytime I do it.

you get into windows and the settings do not save correctly just reboot again and you'll be fine.

and that is not saving a lot of time to me but rather perhaps deceiving myself. Because when I hold down the insert key and push reset at the no boot from bios after saving too many things> the insert key press gives boot at default and it does and then to continue that boot will get to windows with the bios in default speed settings for sure. That is unless you do something else that I am not able to perceive.

No it does not hurt anything but the save a few, reboot and re-enter the bios and save some more will be less confusing to understand for one having trouble than pressing reset&insert at the same time and getting to windows underclocked and him wondering why. IMO.

@ NoOne

Yes, but he had a working board and made changes and now he is has trouble. He did not say> "oh my gawd, this board never works". Your board apparently never worked stock or such and you 'should' have RMA'd the thing. However this user is not at the same crossroads you found yourself. He needs help to determine what he installed that is faulty or what he has mis-set that took him from a working position to a 'non-working' position. Two different scenarios. IMO.

Sincerely, RGone...still waiting on the original poster to add enough information to make a realistic endeavor to help.

My original set up was a barton 2600+ and some generic pc2700 ram, I was waiting to get the new ram and cpu before I started to overclock

Working speed is 166x11 which is stock for my cpu, but even at this speed if I try and tweak the memory timing tbe system becomes unstable.

I have tried 200x9 which posts but after a short time it will power off and won't come back on till i reset the bios, raising the voltage seems to have no effect on this. If I raise it to 1.7 the computer just powers down almosts immediatly.

@ Lombard, I understand that overlclocking is a gradual process and that not all mobo's are the same. I am just a little annoyed that it seems incapable of reaching even 200 fsb.

I am going to try and overclock in increments now and see how long I can hold stable.

Update:

It appears that the problem all along was my waterblock as it just fried my 2600 mobile when i tried to raise the voltage to 1.75. I had tried repositioning it multiple times but this didnt seem to have an effect on the cooling.

I am now back on my volcano 9 and running 200x11.5 @ 1.75 on my 2600+ barton and I can prime stable.

Ill have to work on the waterblock to see what the problem is.

Thanks for the help, I'll see what this setup can do while i wait to get a new chip. Damn takes so long to get stuff shipped to Aus.