Help with AWDFLASH please!

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I've been considering flashing my RevA Ultra II Infinifty for a while, I'm still using the last official BIOS. Basically, never having done this before, I'm pretty worried that if I flash without using either a spare BIOS chip or a BIOS saviour, it could all end in tears.

While I've been researching the whole thing, I've downloaded a couple of different versions of awdflash to my desktop, so if I were to flash, everything would be at hand. Now, I can't get rid of them. When I try and delete them, I get the 'being used by another process ... ...' error message. I've tried deleting from command prompt and tried going into safe mode but neither makes any difference. Also, when I boot my computer, I get a message that comes up at the bottom saying 'press alt + F2 to enter awdflash'. How is this happening? It seems to know awdflash is on my system even before the BIOS searches for a boot record.

Can anyone help me with this? Apart from telling me to grow some cojones and take the plunge with the flash of course!

Thanks

James

Also, when I boot my computer, I get a message that comes up at the bottom saying 'press alt + F2 to enter awdflash'.

the AWDFlash routine is built into the bios. You still have to have AWDFlash on a floppy along with the bios bin to flash, but this command automatically lets the bios know you are wanting to flash the BIOS.

only use the AWDFlash 8.30, or better yet wait a couple days and use the Diamondflash image that automatically creates a floppy image with everything you need (already out for LanParty boards)

Thanks for your help chaps. I finally got rid of the awdflash file from my desktop. For anyone out there who ever gets this problem, I removed it by doing the following.

- Windows normal mode

- open command prompt (start>run>cmd)

- open task manager

- cease explorer process

- delete awdflash from prompt

- restart explorer

Don't know why explorer seemingly 'needed' awdflash. Anyway, it's gone now, so I'm happy. Cowflab (love the name), you said you reformatted? Is that a necessity? I would rather avoid having to do that!

I'll check out that diamond flash thingamajig now.

Thanks again for the advice

James

:) so-called official status , now, is what all have been jumping up and down about.

Yes.

Sincerely, RGone...

Edit: Since the advent of the NF2 in my knowledge and buggy chipsets turned out by many chipset manufacturers, the fact that more and more bioses seem necessary to get some bugs worked out is/has become a reality that was not so in the olden days. Hehehehehehe. Some people have used their boards quite "fine thank you" they say and would nOt flash a newer bios and some have and 'then' gone back to the 11/27/03, last official bios. So just bios flashing for the sake of flashing is not a recommended sport. More easily doable on the 6/19 official is my guess over the many beta's in the last half year or so, but never the less a bios is really only a 'repair' procedure and if you don't have problem that the bios claims to fix> do not flash. Bioses have bugs the bios is intended to try and repair and if you don't have that particular bug> it will not help to flash in the normal course of events. That said it is sure that folks will flash to see. Hope they all have fun. Hehehehehee. RGone...Again...

Ok I see where you're coming from mate, I understand that flashing is not to be done lightly. I am really new to the whole affair and have been to other forums which suggest that flashing the BIOS (the precise BIOS version seems to vary between people) increases the chance of getting a stable overclock from your system.

This is the reason for my desire to flash, I have no specific problems, no boot problems as such. Ok so my PC gives me hassle from time to time, but that's just computers for you isn't it? I don't think the motherboard has much, if anything to do with the occasional screw up. So all I want is more bang for my buck from my chip and RAM, and going on other people's recommendations a BIOS update is just one of the many factors that may enhance my chances of doing so.

Please someone tell me if this is not the case, I regard this forum as the most 'techy' that I visit, and if anyone can tell me otherwise (and/or other suggestions for better OC performance!) you will make me one happy chappy.

The last thing I want to do is render my computer unuseable, but if I can make it better (i.e. more stable) by doing something as simple as making a bootable floppy from a pre-made image and flashing my BIOS then I am happy to take a little risk!

Thanks

James

:D ...we are sort of techy on the DFI sisters and also on the forum. One of the Techies of the forum is a signature with your system specs included. Not so shallow as mine but P/s, memory and how much of it and bios these days are what I look for. I really don't care normally if you got a LPb or UI or more than it says mobile barton less than a dang 3000+.

P/supply and memory are the keys. The board and cooling will generally do the rest. Bios savior is seriously recommended when anyone says> OH I just want a few more MHZskis. Hehehehe. Many many folks when they buy these boards know actually diddly about overclocking NF2 boards and they think> well umh? Let me see how fast do I want to go and bingo no more booty. That ain't how it is done. Finesse and a knowledge of expected and or known limits is a must. The newer 619 bios from the DFI site is now official and it is a 'lot' more relenting on the banger over the finessee. But I have had bios savior on 'every' NF2 chipsetted mobo that I have owned. Why? Because I overclock a lot and I know better than to leave home without a bios savior with overclocking on my mind. Hehehehehehe.

So get out front in the forum and see AG's description of how to put up a signature and do so. You get 3 times the help that way and about 4 times as fast. A good concise description of what you think you want to do is good policy in a post and using search first at least acclimates you to the terms and how we use them. Adherance to logic like this will enhance your experience by a good 300% or so. HEhehehehe. Live and learn.

Mostly me is RGone...1ster>:D