Sign in to follow this  
RGone

Ok my ignorance...

:confused: to the forefront.

Been over in the HellFire bios modding thread and looking at LAN drops and such. Well I put a Lpb behind a 604D-Link router and shared files easily with the original computer and both accessed the net with ease. Thought crap nothing to this so drag new #3HOFINITY in and hook it up to the third router port. Now we got fun again. Now two DFI's and one Epox. Hehehehe.

Got see this, not see that and round and round I was going. Ran network wizard and made floppy and ran on both 'other' computers and still the new computer hookup sees none of the other computers but all 3 can acess the net. I said crap and went to 'google' school. Got to checking on MAC addresses as that seems to be a hot topic in places and it is said that no two NIC devices should have the 'same' MAC address. Humh? Well my 5 month old LanPartyB and my 2 week old UltraInfinity, both have the same MAC address. Humh? Is this correct. I am betting that every onboard Nvidia ethernet has the same MAC address. Is that correct?

Now is there a way to easily educate this MS red-nake? Yes, in google school it was said that many onboard LAN's had provision in the bios to change the MAC address. Yes, DFI sister bioses have this option. But is it necessary to have different MAC addresses? If I wanted to change the MAC address on one of the DFI sisters>what would I change it to? I know the first 6 hex characters idenitfy the manufacturer. The next the serial of that LAN device.

I am now even more confused than ever since it is supposed that LAN devices should have different MAC addresses and it is said when they do not have different MAC addresses that the devices begin to function as if they were 'hub' linked and will drop one or the other, of the LAN devices. Humh?

Two reasons for this is I want to learn and I also wonder if this is all related to 'mongoled' having to use only the 1/21 bios and is why I quickly hooked two DFI's to the net. Now I got my own brand of fun. Hehehehehe. Any clues about why two computers' LAN devices would have the same MAC address?

Edit: Forgot something. Originally the D604 router saw the LPb computer with the MAC address of 00-04-4B-80-80-03 but now it only sees the newly added UI mobo which has the same MAC address as the LPb. I am finding this all rather odd.

Sincerely, RGone...

:cool: ...the router wanted to see two different MAC addresses. Just turned first two computers on and they were fine. Turn on third computer and it would assume the spot on the router of the second computer which was DFI LanPottybHO.

Went into Genie Bios of LanPottybHO and change the MAC addresss in last two Hex from 03 to 04; save and now we rocken.

Thanks guys as I know how important them beoses is. Hehehehe. My learning curve is always better when I dig anyway.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster>:nod:

I find it very interesting that you have 2 mobos that have onboard NIC's that have the same MAC address, MAC addresses are supposed to be unique to each and every peice of hardware. You are correct in stating that the router wanted to see different MAC addresses, the MAC address is what the router binds the IP address to. MAC addresses are "physical addresses" and IP addresses are "logical".i dont' know that DFI is allowed to re-use MAC addresses. This is very interesting

:D well thought it rather strange as well. Or in other words, not quite correct. Being new to networking, it took some study on my own to come to the conclusion that the MAC addresses should in fact be different and 'what' was causing my problem. Fact in flashing the various of the four DFI boards I have now> I think I now remember 'seeing' all four in fact had the same address.

In all practicality, the study I did said that 'most' onboard NIC's "should" have the abilty to have their MAC address changed and surely I did do that. What is not so apparent for a 'real' network newbie is the need to research the MAC address and 'change' it on the motherboard. I was in fact a virtual newb to networking 2 weeks ago, but I suspect there to be variations on the term newbie. HEhehehehehehe.

Don't know man just reporting what I find so that those without a clue can come by a clue as it were. I think there are circumstances where you can force the same MAC address but it is not a highly rated situation as "if" it does work> the increased number of units being connected tend to make the 'whole' work as if it were a dumb 'hub' and not a switch or router and this can cause LAN drops. That exercise was my whole reasoninng behind the 3 puters hooked on up within a few days time anyway. I literally do not need 3 on the net, but wanted to see about the changing of MAC address in bios for AdNelson and do a little trial run for 'mongoled'. Hehehehehe. Just studying out the deal.

Thanks for the add that you as well believed the MAC address should be different.

Sincerely, RGone...:confused:

Originally posted by RGone I am betting that every onboard Nvidia ethernet has the same MAC address

I've built 4 nForce boards & they all had different MACs.

The MAC address should be printed on the board/component somewhere - do the addresses the boards are using tie up with those printed on them?

Yeah, I did the whole networked computer's thing...share folders, etc... FK THAT :nod:

Instead of getting myself entangled in MSoftland... I use (blatent plug) my sister's companies product... GROOVE. SO I can collaborate over the net with...MYSELF ;-) Also an AWESOME way to have a virtualPC communicate with the hostPC it is on, without breaking security that virtualPC provides....IE: surf/download with virtualPC, and virus's/spyware/etc can kiss my hairy wyatt arse!

Things get messy... DELETE and REPLACE the virtualPC-let with the original saved copy...DO OVER... DO OVER MAN :nod:

Like I said, MSoft is sitting on a monster application and are too fking stoooopid to even realize. Build the whole function, preinstalled and setup into WindowsXP-2 and people would buy it by the bazillions to end all the headaches.

But check out GROOVE... it is easier to setup than networking, keeps your WinXP/2K setup simpler, and allows you to share stuff anywhere with anyone YOU wish to share with....personal version is FREE too ;-)

Guest Spartacus

RG,

If you've been doing some hotflashing, that may be why you are getting the same MACs on different boards. You did the right thing though, just change the MAC so that each machine in your local network has a different MAC, that's how the router tells the machines apart.

It would not actually hurt anything if you and I had the same MAC on an UI because we have different IPs and are behind different routers. It only matters to the local network.

Just tried to reflash w/ nvmac and still ended up reloading the mac addy off the agp slot sticker (Been duped agin!. :nod: )

I used a workgroup for XP and the router as a DHCP server.

Network setup disk? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN SETUP DISK!!!!!:shake: Just do the workgroup w/ intnet through separate gateway. :D

Other notes: Last one on w/ a given mac addy is the winner and knocks the other one off sorta, this is what will drive ya nuts:shake:

:D @ "Spartacus"

It would not actually hurt anything if you and I had the same MAC on an UI because we have different IPs and are behind different routers.

Yep you are right on. I have not had to 'hot-flash' once but I have been HOT many times. hehehehehe. Foamed over a couple. Hehehehehe. Like when I scratched out of the same MAC daddy thing. Hhehehehehee.

@ "mad_mikee"

Last one on w/ a given mac addy is the winner and knocks the other one off sorta, this is what will drive ya nuts

AMEN bro. you speak straight words. HEhehehehehee. Wuz even what got me HOT a couple of times. Hehehehe. Nothing like a [email protected] newbie. hehehehehee.

Rat on RGone...1ster>:shake:

RGone,

u come up with some classic phrases 'Google School', that got me laughing :)

uwackme sort hit the nail on the head for me with regards to networking and MS boxes, its a place i dont like venturing into. Ofcurse as you well know the best way to learn is to do things yourself, their is NO substitute to getting your hands dirty.

Be4 my housemates left there were 4 rigs in this house, in the course of the past 4 yrs Ive lived in 4 diff households all with diff network configs, all with different problems.

The most disconcerting element of 'playin' around with network devices is that u dont know if you are doing somthin wrong or MS box is playing is silly games

:rolleyes:

Ive lost the amount of times friends of mine have asked me to look at network problems, the problems are usually along the lines that one day the network is working fine, the next day and without any changes the network is going amiss.

I have experienced this same thing myself and cant help but chuckle when peeps ask me networking questions. I try to xplain to them that even if you get the theory correct there is no guarantee that in practise it will work.

I mean you only have to look at how communication protocols work in general to see that when u start including things like 'timeout' parameters into a MS box across a netwrok of other MS boxes each with diff configs that problems are iminent.

Uwackme,

I think i have a look at this piece of software, thanxs for the headsup on that.

damn these threads are distracting me again......

:D and that sir is the other side of laughter and if not laughter>twould be tears.

even if you get the theory correct there is no guarantee that in practise it will work.

There are a number of threads with more truth spoken than I have seen in a long while. See you the guru, where you live and no matter that you hate networking> you are it. HEhehehehe.

Yes, as it were in google school they started talking layer 1, 2, and 3 and what was tagged and sent on and what changed but was linked back and I said>"wonder it works at all".

Then like a blind newbie idiot> I just look at the MAC address being reported and not the one on the PCi slot and change the address Windows sees by use of Genie Bios NVram and off I go. Just never really occurred to me to dig in the case for the number. Hehehehehehehe. [email protected] luck I guess. Next is a server setup for me and gawd I hope the google school classes start at 101 for real. Hehehehehehe.

Sincerely, RGone...1ster>:shake: