Sign in to follow this  
mrlobber

Disaster with 512 meg sticks on Infinity

Im sure they still have some chips for RMA repairs. It prolly is only 1-2 chips under-performing. I wish memtest was a bit more useful in pin pointing the exact point of failure. Some of the "error bit" reports arent always helpful. Most important thing is that the bus is 64bits wide...NOT 32bits, so WHICH 1/2 is that report bit in?

I guess offset xxxxxxx0 is the LSlw and xxxxxxx8 is the MSlw?

But basically wen you own a few sets of BH5/6 you will want to find a single 256M stick to hold as "repair" parts for the other sticks. TSOP replacement isnt too hard with the basic correct equipment. Lots of electronic assembly houses around that have the equipment and expertise to do a quick rework for you.

When going into the fsb range that starts erring on my ram the errors seem to occur consistantly @1004mb and 1014 mb which in my case is the stick in the #3 slot(closest to the CPU) and the last chip(pointing towards the AGP slot) on the CPU side of the PCB.

Originally posted by dreiu

So you are saying that this mobo is no good for 2x512 ram at a respectable fsb? Maybe that is why I have all these problems with my setup.

It is not the MB but the NB. Not all NB's will OC to the moon just like not all CPU's will.

All NFII NB's OC will go down with the increase capacitive load that comes with larger

memory size. Rememeber you are talking a chipset that is 3 years old and was never

designed or intended to be able to run a FSB as high as we do.

Viper

If it doesn't perform at the rated speed and timings. If it does and won't OC Then you'll have to lie aboput it for an rma. The fact that it runs @ 230 when only rated for 200 tells me otherwise.

it fails memtest @ stock timings and speeds, also at less than stock speeds and relaxed timings, (this is only on 1 chip)

anyway I called COZ and told them that I have 1 stick that is failing memtest @ spd settings and stock speed (which it is) and they are going to swap the set out for me.

I been in windows for weeks stable as a rock(almost) @ 230 fsb w/ cpc on running with a bad stick of RAM. so since I have the BH-6 I would assume that I wouldn't have any probs getting the same back from an RMA so is that what you guys would suggest? or are they running short on BH-6 as well.

If the one stick was failing that badly @ stock timings 200fsb, I would figure that windows would've dorked itself by now with both sticks running 230fsb as stated above for weeks.

you and me both, i am pretty surprised that I haven't been having any real issues. i guess it goes to show that you see new things in the computer world on a daily basis. . .

back on topic a bit, I can't wait to see if that burn-in is going to help me out, I haven't burned things in on purpose since the celery 366 days. . .:nod: