Disaster with 512 meg sticks on Infinity

Originally posted by SAE

Yeah... those heatspreader's "heatpads" are really heat insulators trapping the heat between the spreader and the chips... :rolleyes:

I never understood why kingston used that crap on their high speed ram... I made the KHX naked a while ago :D A fan suffices.

And the really great thing to see is the BH-5 chips 335WF on both of them :)

P.S. I never did this kinda burnin - 72hours+... :eek: Woah! My electrical bill would kill (me and my lil budget) ;)

Imagine what these sticks could do with a REAL burnin ;)

Unfortunately, regardless of my bill, I will be forced to do it. 185 fsb CPC on is not what you call an overclock ;) The frustration can be compared with my migration from Epox to Abit when it turned out that the particular NF7-S was unable to do more than 215 fsb stable (although no tictac's bios were available those times, only D1.0 and the later ones with the low multiplier bug).

Just got an e-mail from another member here whose KHX 3000 are doing equally bad. All the hope I could give him, was this thread and uwackme's responses. That's where I'm hanging to right now as well.

Speaking about lil' budget, SAE, that MachII GT is a birhday's present, right? :D

Sorry for counting your money :nod:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by mrlobber

Speaking about lil' budget, SAE, that MachII GT is a birhday's present, right? :D

Sorry for counting your money :nod:

Yeah. Actually it is :D

I got money, saved up some from too much work ;) and the sum made up for it... LOL (I got me one before NVentiv died... the last and only stock :D)

Originally posted by mrlobber

Ok, maybe I miss experience in something but here is the developing story:

My Infinity has run 240fsb stable on any bios tested so far with 2 kits of 2x256Mb sticks from Mushkin, both Level1 and LevelII as well (CH-5 and BH-5), and nothing more. That was so far.

Now, bought a 2x512 MB HyperX 3000 BH-5 kit from a pcper.com member. He has run them Pifast and Superpi stable at 235fsb 3.2volts on his Socket754 board, and I didn't have any reason not to believe him (as he provided a screenie too).

But now the most interesting part follows.

Received the sticks, put them in, 3.2v 220fsb CPC on 2-2-2. Got a BSOD in Windows. Hey I thought, not so fast man, do some testing with memtest first. Went to it - loads of 5th test errors. Then to CPC off. The same. Then down to 200fsb. The same. Then started to test the sticks separately.

CPU was ruled out with the 9th multiplier. I was running 6/19 bios with 7 additional RGone's stability timings, Vcore as needed, various Vdd (from Auto to 1.8), various AGP (from 1.5 to 1.8) tested.

One stick will run 200fsb memtest stable only at 3+ Vdimm :confused:, and its rated 187 fsb with 2.8 volts (not 2.5 as rated by Kingston). So it seems despite of the guy is telling me, the initial results lead to believe the stick is not up to its specs, if not simply bad?

Or has anyone heard about incompatibilites between HyperX3000 and DFI Infinity?

The other stick went memtest stable up to 225fsb 2-2-2 3.1 Vdimm CPC on. Any higher fsb gives errors but that might be attributed to the infamous CPC bug of the nForce2 chipset. So either I have to tweak more or live with that. That's acceptable and I didn't hope for the impossible. The same happens if I pair this stick with my 2x256 mb of CH-5 and try to run, for example 220fsb. It's memtest stable... but what confuses me in this case, is that Sandra bandwidth is 93%/87% instead of the usual 96%/90%? And that's with CPC on, CPC off gives 87%/77%. Wtf? I know that 512Mb sticks on nForce2 never are going to overclock to 256MB stick levels but do they experience some kind of performance hit regardless of CPC on/off in bios, as illustrated by Sandra and some other benchmarks I run as well?

I'm going to continue testing but any input would be appreciated.

Well if the heat spreaders are still on you do not know what the chips are. HyperX 3000

was built with BH5, BH6 and CH5 depending on what Kingston had laying around that day

I guess. My guess is you have one stick with BH6 and one stick with CH5. Pop the HS'es

and look at the chips.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Well if the heat spreaders are still on you do not know what the chips are. HyperX 3000

was built with BH5, BH6 and CH5 depending on what Kingston had laying around that day

I guess. My guess is you have one stick with BH6 and one stick with CH5. Pop the HS'es

and look at the chips.

Viper

Yeah. Seems to be the best wa to determine the limiting factors... :)

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Yeah those darn nagging "little" details. Ya just can't get around em.

Viper

Hehe... and additionally it gets him rid of these heatinsulating "heat pads" ;)

Man, This burnin has saved my LIFE!

I got 2x512 khx3000. My first overclocking expedition on my 2400m + infinity got mme stable 192FSB CPC:ON 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 2.7 all the weay to 3,.3vdimm. That was an extremely crap overclock!

Now I was referenced to this thread by one f the guys here and did my burnin for 62 hours at 190mhz 3.3vdimm.

Now I'm kicking memtest at 235mhz fsb 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 3.1vdimm. But CPC:Off.

I havne't taken off my heatspreads and dunno if really want the hassle, I figure I must have BH-5 to hold these timings at 235+ huh? Ya'll think I should really check?

But going from 192mhz to 235+ is awsome for just burning in!

Originally posted by Unoid

Man, This burnin has saved my LIFE!

I got 2x512 khx3000. My first overclocking expedition on my 2400m + infinity got mme stable 192FSB CPC:ON 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 2.7 all the weay to 3,.3vdimm. That was an extremely crap overclock!

Now I was referenced to this thread by one f the guys here and did my burnin for 62 hours at 190mhz 3.3vdimm.

Now I'm kicking memtest at 235mhz fsb 1:1 2-2-2-6 at 3.1vdimm. But CPC:Off.

I havne't taken off my heatspreads and dunno if really want the hassle, I figure I must have BH-5 to hold these timings at 235+ huh? Ya'll think I should really check?

But going from 192mhz to 235+ is awsome for just burning in!

That was me :D

Great *thumbsup*

After almost 40 hours of burn in, I'm still stuck at 170 fsb. Still time to wait though.

Well after some more stability testing I'm doing roughly 230x11 (2535mhz) 1:1, CPC: off 2-2-2-6 3.1vdimm, My 2400M is on good watercooling and doesn't do over 2550 at 1.95V :( 2.0v doens't help. I need a vdrop mod badly :( (but I havne't seen a good guide for it yet..)

and I'm sticking at 3.1vdimm for 24x7 use, unless someone says I should do different.