Guest Hellfire_merged

lol @ RGone,

Ok i will expalin my 'LAN dropout' :)

Swap bios, same settings.

Fire up mobo

Get into OS

LAN is detected fine

Fire up internet

Fire up a stream, i.e. audio from net (stress LAN)

Browse web pages.

Music stop (time for this to happens depends on bios, all three hellfire bios did this in range of 20-30 seconds)

Internet Stop

Adapter still showing up in device manager

Adapter still showing up in network connections

Try to disable LAN and restart LAN..... not possible

Try to reboot windows, it just hangs as if trying to resolve network connection

Need to force shutdown (pull power)

This is said 'LAN dropout' for me. Hope this make things clearer from mongs HO's. As for 1/21 romsip, you may have a point there of not existing, i have no experience of such stuff, i.e bios modding. All i can say is what i see in front of me. I wish i knew y 1/21 has been such a good bios for different Infinity brds for me, and just to confirm it isnt hardware, I have had Infinity brds which have been fine with other bios'. These were the first few brds I ever tried, the last lot i have been getting all suffer from the 'LAN dropout' problem.

Sorry for the intrusion hellfire.

:angel:

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) yes, Hellfire man we do not intend intrusion. Fact the problem is that when it is said >Ok back to 1/21 'and' how about mod of 6/19 using the 1/21> that I feel it is not an intrusion. I guess we could open a new thread and let folks chase that 1/21 part down.

I really do not intend to offend you Hellfire sir!

Ah, 'mong'> now at least I understand what you are experiencing and I too know that it is for you the 'later' boards showing the symptoms. I rather suspected that! Just a gut feeling.

Now to read all you just said sir 'mong' and wait on Hellfire and "Spartacus".

Sincerely, RGone...

Mong.... can you give me the lowdown on your entire setup? IE: router? Other computers on net? etc.

I ran into some weird stuff when I accidently had two of the same mac address connected to my router.

My windowsXP had mac hardcoded....and I used the mac from my NF7-S main. Swapped boards to DFI and forgot about it.

Later after setting up NF7 as backup, there it was....same old Mac addr. When I plugged it into the router....."lan dropout" within short usage of the DFI. I know its a long shot, but there are SO many interactions on lan situatons. Took me a while to notice :nod:

There are also possibilities where an incorrect resistor value or cap got put somewhere on YOUR board and it leads to a weirdness....aka a real actual error in the board. I hate to suggest it, but another board might a thing to try.

Im going to get another Inf I think, and do the OCP/vmod's to it rather than risk this one to "the knife".

:D :nod: :D ...ole sun> I "heard that". I was supposed to be able to get my 'first' personal UI back from TW. They say they lost it. Hehehehe. A bud of mine says someone over there is using it to run the 'orb'. hehehehehe. That was one fine mofo mobo. Fer shure.

Got a replacement for it and "no sir" IT is nOt going under no knife. Fine a board as I ever put me little paws on. Experimenting will be on something else. HEhehehehehe. I do not have the good luck of S.F.F.U in getting two or so rally rally gooduns in a row. Yep, buy you another one.

I posted all the long wind about the LAN above to get a picture. Just as soon as I got thru posting it> I cranked up my LpB and got into windows and it read my LAN shared stuff with the second computer and 'while' I was looking at it> the shared files on the other computer dropped out of 'view' and then it could not find or continue to show my "shared" even on itself. Deeyam, is it LAN drop out; I ask myself. First time to see this and only the 'second' week I have EVER networked.

So I said ok, shutdown my other computer and the LpB and turn off the router too and cable modem. Reboot the whole mess and back in business. I would have sworn I had LAN drop-off? Did I? Not sure but total reboot brought it back up. Oh no I did not have a locked computer. Guess I don't have LAN drop-off. Dang it. I wanted to see it. Why? Because I am a noob to networking and this stuff is over my head so far.

Sincerely, RGone...

Guest Spartacus

Sorry I'm late to the party here RG.... :)

Just to clarify, my UI is indeed one of the boards that likes 01/21 best, but I've never had any LAN drops or any other device failures on the board. Board was always fine except for cold boots (war mod fixable).

The whole 06/19 series gives my board warm boot problems that it never had before. Some of Hellfire's versions work better than the stock 06/19, but still have warm boots or even resets while Priming. Nothing about my rig is much different from the norm either (Mobile 2600, 2x256 Mushkin BH5).

I can beat the livin' tar outta the board with 01/21 w/war mod and no problems whatsoever. :)

RG, thanks for your info on the AGP latency dif. in 01/21, maybe something to toy with on other BIOS versions.

Originally posted by mongoled

Ok i will expalin my 'LAN dropout' :)

Swap bios, same settings.

Fire up mobo

Get into OS

LAN is detected fine

Fire up internet

Fire up a stream, i.e. audio from net (stress LAN)

Browse web pages.

Music stop (time for this to happens depends on bios, all three hellfire bios did this in range of 20-30 seconds)

Internet Stop

Adapter still showing up in device manager

Adapter still showing up in network connections

Try to disable LAN and restart LAN..... not possible

Try to reboot windows, it just hangs as if trying to resolve network connection

Need to force shutdown (pull power)

I also have a UI that suffers from peripheral drops and this is pretty much what happens when the LAN dies. But sometimes the LAN drops are immediately followed by the OS completely hard-locking, with no way of checking device manager or doing anything except killling power. BIOS 6/19 is especially prone to these drops and is the reason I can't use it.

Similiar to mong (and many others), BIOS 1/21 is the cure. Because 1/21 works and others do not, one can conclude that the problem is BIOS - related. The problem is not ROMSIP, heat, voltage, driver, settings, or hardware related. The culprit is the BIOS. Otherwise, with all else being equal, why does using 1/21 "magically" eliminate the problem?

mong, the 1/21 RS inserted into the 6/19 BIOS will not solve our problem. I have tried to do this with 4/29 and 5/5 and while it seemed to lessen the frequency, the drops still occurred. One guy at XS PMed me about a 6/19 w/ 1/21 RS. I thought if it didn't work before why would it work now. But I did it anyway because 6/19's RS structure (but not size) is more similar to the old-style RSes then either 4/29 or 5/5. In fact, the method I used was the exact same method as Hellfire is using (modding Tables 5-12 in the 6/19 RS alternately with Table 5-6 in the 1/21 RS). This is the most logical way to do it with respect to the old structure of pre-4/29 RSes and the new structure of the 6/19 RS. But the result produced no change because, again, the problem is not RS-related.

Originally posted by RGone

One such snippet is that I believe OskarWu said that the 1/21 is a bios that he felt not possible to add the 'cold boot cure' "into". Why? Hale if I know. I know that bios is not constructed like the others from what I can gather. Fact I don't think there is a 'romsip' that is swappable in a like manner to the others. Notice, that I said, I don't think it is. I did not say it was impossible.

RGone, I think Oskar was suggesting that the cold boot = no post bug might have been RS-related. And some testers requested that the 1/21 BIOS should be implemented with the fix. However, if the RS is responsible, then it cannot be inserted into the 1/21 BIOS (probably) due to the size difference. Now whether or not the 6/19 (or 4/29 or 5/5) BIOS can truly accept an RS from a pre-4/29 BIOS can only be answered by Oskar.

As you know, I have always doubted whether it could be done. Again, the 4/29 RS and the 5/5 RS are totally different in size and structure than any other. But the 6/19 RS is now very similar to the pre-429 RSes with respect to the first and last 4 Tables in the structure. So modding the 6/19 RS could very possibly be more "valid" than either the 4/29 or 5/5.

But having said that, there still is the uncertainty of the 8 additional tables in the 6/19 RS that prevent a "good fit". Perhaps it can be better explained this way:

1/21 ROMSIP (or any pre-429 RS)

Table 1 ABC

Table 2 DEF

Table 3 GHI

Table 4 JKL

Table 5 MNO (1)

Table 6 PQR (1)

Table 7 ABC

Table 8 DEF

Table 9 GHI

Table 10 JKL

6/19 ROMSIP (or any post-429 RS)

Table 1 ABC

Table 2 DEF

Table 3 GHI

Table 4 JKL

Table 5 MNO (1)

Table 6 PQR (1)

Table 7 MNO (1)

Table 8 PQR (2)

Table 9 MNO (3)

Table 10 PQR (3)

Table 11 MNO (4)

Table 12 PQR (4)

Table 13 ABC

Table 14 DEF

Table 15 GHI

Table 16 JKL

Hope that makes it clear what's going on. What Hellfire has done is taken Tables 5-6 from the (12/18 and 1/31) RS and inserted them alternately into Tables 5-12 of the 6/19 RS. This seems like the logical thing to do since it looks like Oskar just expanded that middle section. But if one takes a closer look, Tables 5-12 in the orginal 6/19 RS are not the same alternating Tables. There is a single bit value change when going from Tables 5-6 to 7-8 to 9-10, etc. What this bit value is supposed to identify, I don't have a clue. But apparently it has no adverse affects, since soundx98 and others are having no problems.

The truth is only Oskar can enlighten us about what is going on and either refute or verify. But I suspect he's under NDA with NV.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Adv, at least now I have a little bit better idea of whats going on with the bios's.

And to cure my LAN dropping issues, I went out and got a PCI network card. But now I just get sound lockups :rolleyes:

I do not have the good luck of S.F.F.U in getting two or so rally rally gooduns in a row.

LMAO

I get no LAN dropouts like mong (though I know them from some LANPARTIES among friends...) but SOUND dropouts even with my Audigy :(

At 267/268 LOL :shake: But if sound stays enabled at 261x12 I would be glad ;)

Did not have the time to test Far Cry as my WinXP install went corrupt some days ago.

Guest Spartacus
Originally posted by AdvModDev

However, if the RS is responsible, then it cannot be inserted into the 1/21 BIOS (probably) due to the size difference.

Are you saying there is a size problem in the sense that you run out of flash chip space, or just that the tables don't mesh correctly due to size?

You could dump the logo file to give you some extra room if that's the issue.

:) ...ignorance ok? No need to quote above down here.

Ok then A_M_D> why not take the 6/19 which you show above just below the 1/21 and removing the addittional tables and replace those 8 added with only the 2 originaly from the 1/21? Just the two tables in bold from the 1/21 into the 6/19 after removing the bolded ones you show. Reasoning from my meager intellect is the 6/19 is not fixing cold boot from the romsips. It is elseswhere in the bios so remove the 8 added tables and replace them with only the 2 tables from the 1/21 and send it to me and I will flash it and see what blows up. Hehehehehehe.

Is that possible? I am going to guess it will not re-asssemble and flash but that would get one of my ideas out of the way.

Did I speak to dang RGoneian? Let me know and will try to write more clearly.

Sincerely, RGone...

:) ...ignorance ok? No need to quote above down here.

Ok then A_M_D> why not take the 6/19 which you show above just below the 1/21 and removing the addittional tables and replace those 8 added with only the 2 originaly from the 1/21? Just the two tables in bold from the 1/21 into the 6/19 after removing the bolded ones you show. Reasoning from my meager intellect is the 6/19 is not fixing cold boot from the romsips. It is elseswhere in the bios so remove the 8 added tables and replace them with only the 2 tables from the 1/21 and send it to me and I will flash it and see what blows up. Hehehehehehe.

Is that possible? I am going to guess it will not re-asssemble and flash but that would get one of my ideas out of the way.

Did I speak to dang RGoneian? Let me know and will try to write more clearly.

Sincerely, RGone...

Hmm. Tictac tried that with an Infinity bios. Sounds good, did not work... but he may have overseen something. He maybe does it again.

P.S. I tried that bios on my LP B. No boot, 3rd LED as with the 5-5 21T10 by AdvModDev. Hotflash time it was ;) LOL

Just a quicky jump in and out:

Hellfire - will be sticking 1-31 in tonight, wish me luck. :D

Uwackme (mac duping)

I did the same w/ all the flashie-thingies bios-wise. Took me 2 days until I looked in the DHCP table on linky router. Will be flashing w/ mac switch and addy next time :nod: :shake: