Hellfire's 6/19 Bios With 12/18 ROMSIP

Guest Hellfire_merged

:D :D There is not time for me to become as good as those already fooling with the modding at this time, so instead let me merely continue in my line of ignorance then. Ok?

When I see table 5/6 as MNO and PQR>my mind says that they should be equal but A_M_D says not so as there is a bit difference. That bit differnce is telling the bios to again check user set speed. I said brainstorming.

So maybe then just remove 6 of the 8 and see if it recompiles and I will flash it? I don't think that is sound reasoning after a thought or two. Ok maybe A_M_D can try the swap I suggested and I will still to flash it>even if tictac has tried it and it did not work for you SAE?

One thing is relatively sure. We will not get any infomation from TW on this. So my next question would be for the...no no...this is getting too too complicated. It is not all LAN drops. "Spartacus" gets sound drops. Put them suckers back to stock and see if they drop the peripherals and if they do then RMA them as they bound to be defective. Now that is likely the quickest out. All the rest gets overly complicated. And we will never see a white paper to see what is what.

Sincerely, dumbfounded RGone...gone to get cable to extend to the TV as the wife has turned the house upside to down. HEhehe...:shake: :angel:

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hellfire
Originally posted by AdvModDev

I also have a UI that suffers from peripheral drops and this is pretty much what happens when the LAN dies. But sometimes the LAN drops are immediately followed by the OS completely hard-locking, with no way of checking device manager or doing anything except killling power. BIOS 6/19 is especially prone to these drops and is the reason I can't use it.

Similiar to mong (and many others), BIOS 1/21 is the cure. Because 1/21 works and others do not, one can conclude that the problem is BIOS - related. The problem is not ROMSIP, heat, voltage, driver, settings, or hardware related. The culprit is the BIOS. Otherwise, with all else being equal, why does using 1/21 "magically" eliminate the problem?

mong, the 1/21 RS inserted into the 6/19 BIOS will not solve our problem. I have tried to do this with 4/29 and 5/5 and while it seemed to lessen the frequency, the drops still occurred. One guy at XS PMed me about a 6/19 w/ 1/21 RS. I thought if it didn't work before why would it work now. But I did it anyway because 6/19's RS structure (but not size) is more similar to the old-style RSes then either 4/29 or 5/5. In fact, the method I used was the exact same method as Hellfire is using (modding Tables 5-12 in the 6/19 RS alternately with Table 5-6 in the 1/21 RS). This is the most logical way to do it with respect to the old structure of pre-4/29 RSes and the new structure of the 6/19 RS. But the result produced no change because, again, the problem is not RS-related.

RGone, I think Oskar was suggesting that the cold boot = no post bug might have been RS-related. And some testers requested that the 1/21 BIOS should be implemented with the fix. However, if the RS is responsible, then it cannot be inserted into the 1/21 BIOS (probably) due to the size difference. Now whether or not the 6/19 (or 4/29 or 5/5) BIOS can truly accept an RS from a pre-4/29 BIOS can only be answered by Oskar.

As you know, I have always doubted whether it could be done. Again, the 4/29 RS and the 5/5 RS are totally different in size and structure than any other. But the 6/19 RS is now very similar to the pre-429 RSes with respect to the first and last 4 Tables in the structure. So modding the 6/19 RS could very possibly be more "valid" than either the 4/29 or 5/5.

But having said that, there still is the uncertainty of the 8 additional tables in the 6/19 RS that prevent a "good fit". Perhaps it can be better explained this way:

1/21 ROMSIP (or any pre-429 RS)

Table 1 ABC

Table 2 DEF

Table 3 GHI

Table 4 JKL

Table 5 MNO (1)

Table 6 PQR (1)

Table 7 ABC

Table 8 DEF

Table 9 GHI

Table 10 JKL

6/19 ROMSIP (or any post-429 RS)

Table 1 ABC

Table 2 DEF

Table 3 GHI

Table 4 JKL

Table 5 MNO (1)

Table 6 PQR (1)

Table 7 MNO (1)

Table 8 PQR (2)

Table 9 MNO (3)

Table 10 PQR (3)

Table 11 MNO (4)

Table 12 PQR (4)

Table 13 ABC

Table 14 DEF

Table 15 GHI

Table 16 JKL

Hope that makes it clear what's going on. What Hellfire has done is taken Tables 5-6 from the (12/18 and 1/31) RS and inserted them alternately into Tables 5-12 of the 6/19 RS. This seems like the logical thing to do since it looks like Oskar just expanded that middle section. But if one takes a closer look, Tables 5-12 in the orginal 6/19 RS are not the same alternating Tables. There is a single bit value change when going from Tables 5-6 to 7-8 to 9-10, etc. What this bit value is supposed to identify, I don't have a clue. But apparently it has no adverse affects, since soundx98 and others are having no problems.

The truth is only Oskar can enlighten us about what is going on and either refute or verify. But I suspect he's under NDA with NV.

Thanks for explaining this to them while I was off taking my midterm for my English class at my CC. :eek: Ooo I hope I pass that class so it is transferable to my Univerisity

And I have tried adding the 1/21 RS to the 6/19 Bios but removing two of the tables from the main system bios will yield an incorrect size. The matter of the fact is that 1/21 bios and the 6/19 are different. These bios are totally different and like AdvModDev said the problem with the lan dropping is probably due to another culprit in the bios.

:) that is exactly what I understood as well. Problem is that folks continue to want to try the RomSip swap but I hope they have heard you this time. All we were doing was holding the fort while you tested. Hehehehehe.

HOpe you had a fine test result sir.

Thanks for the explanation again as that is what I was led to understand but the same refrain comes again and again. I wish they had fixed cold boot 2 months after the boards came out and none of the plethora of bioses would be out and the peripheral dropping boards would all be RMA'd and done with. However if wishes had been horses>beggars would ride.

Again, many thanks HellFire sir.

Sincerely, RGone...

Guest Hellfire

I have only created these bioses because some boards just seem to favor certain bioses but it all comes down to well the board likes it or not as each board is different. I've only created them because I have seen consistantly seen higher memory benchmark scores with the 12/18 bios over other bioses of the same settings. These bioses try to maximize performance and max fsb and are not tended to fix problems. So please use with caution as the 6/19 bios has been known to drop the lan.

Hellfire

Guest Hellfire

I have figured out the problem in the 6/19 bios and as to why the lan is dropping. I am working on the patch for this bios and should be out very soon. :)

Guest Spartacus
Originally posted by RGone

It is not all LAN drops. "Spartacus" gets sound drops. Put them suckers back to stock and see if they drop the peripherals and if they do then RMA them as they bound to be defective.

RG,

No sound drops or LAN drops.

You missed my reply with the messages moving so fast.

I'll hit the rewind button for ya. :)

"Just to clarify, my UI is indeed one of the boards that likes 01/21 best, but I've never had any LAN drops or any other device failures on the board. Board was always fine except for cold boots (war mod fixable).

The whole 06/19 series gives my board warm boot problems that it never had before. Some of Hellfire's versions work better than the stock 06/19, but still have warm boots or even resets while Priming. Nothing about my rig is much different from the norm either (Mobile 2600, 2x256 Mushkin BH5).

I can beat the livin' tar outta the board with 01/21 w/war mod and no problems whatsoever.

RG, thanks for your info on the AGP latency dif. in 01/21, maybe something to toy with on other BIOS versions."

I guess I should POP 1/21 in to see if the sound dropout vanishes.

Im on Hell 6/19-131 now, no change, works great but the sound will cease in Farcry after an hour or so of beating the piss out of it... online or single player. Lan is 100%, never an issue. Online Farcry and AArmy both beat the crap out of the lan, and never a glitch, and AArmy never drops sound either.

Dropping to 230Mhz x10/10.5/11 also stops the sound dropout.

Funny thing is, the NF7-S at 245Mhz x10 has NEVER had an issue with lan/sound dropout of any kind. The principle differences are BIOS and also the fact that DFI has a seperate Vdd-sb supply, set to 1.675V I believe.... just a thought. I do remember reading a blip on AMDMB or Xtreme about a SB Vdd mod that cleared up sound/lan drop issues for someone. I will have to try out the mod just out of curiousity. The NF7 runs Vdd to both NB and SB, so you Vmod Vdd to 1.8V and both chips get it (which is my NF7).

Lots of good info, nice to see everyone working so hard on solutions, great community effort!!

Guest Hellfire

The patch I'm working on should also fix the the sound drop out as well as the lan drop out. The patch is currently in testing with a friend with the LanParty. He used to get lan drop outs with the 6/19 bios but with the patch he hasnt had the lan drop out on him since he started testing it 1 hour ago. I've also fixed the warm boot issue on the 6/19 bios as well but I'm not exactly sure it is working 100% but it does seem to get rid of 80% of my warm boots on my system. :nod: :nod: :nod: I'll probably be releasing this bios sometime this week if all goes well.

Hellfire

A good discussion. My lan has never been dropping, and neither the sound (although it's clicking if playing music and writing on my wireless keyboard), but that's maybe because I run those modest 240 fsb only ;)

Anyway, it would be nice to have a more or less well polished bios finally, although it might have written "beta x 10" after it.