Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hellfire_merged

Hellfire's 6/19 Bios With 12/18 ROMSIP

Guest Hellfire

Well I going to make the drive back home tomorrow because I am currently at an apartment near my college so since I don't have an extra PSU here, so I will probably take my hd back and hook it up to my server at home. Ummm... O Yea forgot to mention that this bios will also have the pci latency as the 1/21 bios for added stablity and will help with the lan dropping out. :nod: I have also refined the bios so that warm boots are cured 90% of the time, as we have tested it on a buddy's lp. When we thought we were expierencing a cold/warm boot we allowed the bios around 6-7 seconds for my injected code in the main system bios to kick in and boot the system.:nod: :nod: :nod:

<<<>>>

I have quite a history in various networking schemes but I've never experienced the problem I am having. Everything will be working fine with all the lights lit on my Motorola 5100 Surfboard hooked to 3000/256 cable and suddenly the LAN will have NO throughput at all. The activity lights will still be flashing like normal. I thought it was locking up so I'd reboot and it would be fine but then do it again at any random time. Sometimes it only takes 5 mins, sometimes 5 hours.

I started monitoring the LAN trafic with the XP traffic monitor. After the apparent "drop" the traffic will flatline but there is a spike of traffic about every minute for 3 to 5 mins then the connection seems to pick up where it left off.

happens when I'm in IE or Mozilla, using Bittorrent, gaming etc. The modem is only a week old, I have Zonealarm 5 and current Nortons, Adaware, and Spybot. System shows clean scans on all.

I had the whole NVMAC issue with 6/19 also last weekend and spent several hours on the phone with RGone. I actually got tired of reflashing and just put in a fresh chip and left it. If I have to I will disable BOTH NV and REALTEK and get a drop in PCI NIC and do it that way. I even went as far as to reload windows and even switched from XP Pro to XP Media Center to try and rectify the situation.

If it was a straight HW issue it'd be no sweatr because I did Network admin work for Earthlink at one time. But if it is an anomaly with the board/BIOS it is something I will have to rectify as this is my main machine. If its an onboard controller issue a stand alone NIC card should fix the problem. It's just too big a pain restarting 4GB downloads whenever the onboard decides to crap out. Now aside from picking the connect back up it will sometimes stay flat lined.

I'm moderately OC'd for this combo but have dropped my Vcore down to 1.675v and while just downloading then freeze health monitor shows 35C on the reboot so I doubt it is heat related as the NB has a Thermalright NB-1 and the SB has the stock NB sink on it. The SATA controller is sinked as is everything else big enough to put a sink on.

Think I'm going to pick this DLink 10/100 up from Newegg this week. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-107&depa=0 $13.95

or this TrendNET 10/100/1000 for $18.98 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-139&depa=0

I left you a message on your machine Sunday night about the situation. I put the new chip in and flashed 6/19beta w/8.24f and it picked up A MAC (not the one on the 2nd PCI slot) and windows detected it. However I attempt to set the one on the slot in Genie and the BIOS locked tightern sheeit. I reflashed and it detected the MAC as FFFFFFFFFFF1FFFF. Got tired of re-flashing it so I left it and windows detected it again. However both the NV and RTS are still dropping/locking the connection. So in my estimation it has nothing to do with the BIOS chip as it happened to 2 brand new ones so far. I will send you the chip @ some time along with the "special" windows cd I told you about. Its got to be some kind of problem in the BIOS routine and it's interaction with the controllers.

Man im sorry to hear abt your PSU, I really hope it hasnt taken anything else with it.

elts_drac,

This is prime 'LAN dropout' characteristics, the time scale u described and the problems u mention are almost identical to what happens on my rig. The one thing which hasnt happened to me, or that I have not noticed is the scrambling of the LANs MAC address.

:)[email protected] Elts_Drac> we shore as hale working this thread over from one thing to another, including a P/s that takes a dump during historic but 'trying' times.

However I attempt to set the one on the slot in Genie and the BIOS locked tightern sheeit

Well since I was on net doing search about MAC address it just seemed the thing for me to do to "see what" they said was the way to 'find' a MAC address of a NIC. So I went into windoors and read the MAC address Windoors said it was using on both machines and they were both the same and the 'same' as my router was reporting. So sitting at the keyboard>rather than scrambling in the case looking for 12 digits> changed the last 2 hex characters reported from Windoors as 03 to 04 in the Genie Bios on LPb; and all was good to go. So 'no' I did not try to insert the numbers off the side of the PCi slot.

Sadly, I don't have but the one 'new' working UI that has not just had the P flashed out of the bioses with ton's of failed flashes on the mobo's to try a thing with for troubleshooting.

RGone...

Originally posted by elts_drac

I have Zonealarm 5

this is your problem. the current builds of zonealarm 5 cause many, and i mean many (including myself), people to have this loss of internet connection. before going out and spending bucks on new lan cards etc, you should try to downgrade to version 4.5. make sure you use the /clean switch on the uninstall of 5.0 or else you may have more problems. zonelabs does, however, have a 5.1 beta avaliable that seems to have fixed some people's issues. but the current 5 series has some major problems.

uninstall/reinstall instructions:

http://don.hoover.net/uninstall.html

Originally posted by knitoe

this is your problem. the current builds of zonealarm 5 cause many, and i mean many (including myself), people to have this loss of internet connection. before going out and spending bucks on new lan cards etc, you should try to downgrade to version 4.5. make sure you use the /clean switch on the uninstall of 5.0 or else you may have more problems. zonelabs does, however, have a 5.1 beta avaliable that seems to have fixed some people's issues. but the current 5 series has some major problems.

uninstall/reinstall instructions:

http://don.hoover.net/uninstall.html

Dont know if this relates to elts_drac problem but onealrm 5.0 is defo a downight bad piece of software!

I was very happy with the earlier version, then they released this 'updated' version, waht a pile of dog poo.

OK I uninstalled Zonealarm Pro 5 with the /clean switch and reverted to Zonealarm pro 4.5.594. I'll leave the machine downloading while I am at the funeral and see if it's still up by the time I get home. *keeps fingers crossed*