Sign in to follow this  
Odie812

Sound distortions and crackling...

Hey everyone,

See my sig for my setup.

Anyway, I've noticed on this particular Infinity that I have (I've had several :rolleyes: ) that the sound crackles and just gets all muddy during games, such as Counterstrike. It sounds like all of the game sounds are getting crunched together and it's quite an unpleasant experience.

I know that the typical fix for this is a heatsink on the southbridge. Well, I have a copper Vantec heatsink on it, in addition to a Zalman heatsink on my Northbridge (the big blue one, I forget the model number), and a 947U on my mobile chip. I think I'm pretty sufficiently cooled. What else could be affecting the sound this way?

Could my overclock be affecting the sound? Could it be an issue with voltages? My VCore is 1.825, my VDimm is 3.2, and my Vdd is 1.8.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because I have a Chaintech AV-710 on the way (7 digital channels for $25 :D ) , but it's really bugging me, and I want to make sure that it won't cause any problems elsewhere in my computer.

Thanks!

Odie :)

.... in the end if it doesn't really matter....?

I've seen different fixes for the problem on different

forums. Lower Vdd... run APIC disabled... different

RealTech drivers... go into BIOS and swap some IRQ's

around (especially for AGP).

Which version of DirectX are you running? Go into DirectX

and test the Sound. See what happens.

Pops.

APIC is Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller it gives you a few more IRQs. IRQs can sometimes get messed up with XP and only way to change them is changing pci slot for your sound card or running APIC off (not recomended). You can also try changing ACPI drivers to another type (probably you have Uniprosessor ACPI in device manager). It will change the IRQs and usually fixes sound problems related to IRQ problems, however DONT mess with the settings if you are not sure what is causing the problem.

What made the sound problems appear in the first place?

APIC depends on ACPI...

If you changed the drivers to ACPI-PC, you'd turn off apic.

APIC can have a negative effect on raid arrays, sound cards, firewire, usb, but has a really positive effect on 3D performance...

I have the same problem too, but i use onboard sound cus im cheap :D, i have latest chipset drivers from the DFI site, and during game play (soldier of fortune 2 :P) it will miss large chunks of sound meaning I get naded alot :'(

Hey all my brother has just developed this problem on his DFI LANPARTY B with counterstrike source.

All his temps are fine, but while playing the game he gets crackling sound. He can get out then back into the game and it'll be back to normal for a little while. Then it'll start up again..

Any suggestions.

I'm just about to try new drivers, then I'll see if that changes things.

Which should I get, the lastest?

I just went to nvidias website and downloaded the Audio Driver package.

I'll try these out and see.

Edit~

Never mind about that package. I'm just getting the latest nvidia driver package...