06/19 Fixes Cold-Boot - Please post HERE!

:confused: I don't know man. Popcicle seemed basically of the same mind as myself that using 8.24F the force switch /F would have no effect. Of course you could have typed the address into the appropriate area of the Genie Bios, I suppose. I have seen them flashing with 8.24F and not a problem. I have seen them leave off the /F and not a problem. I wonder if you are just at the place of LAN at the speed you run is only sorta Ok on the 01/21/04 bios?

Sincerely, RGone...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some info that a believe a few peeps may be interested in. First of all the info is reagrds to peeps losing LAN with various bios'. This has been my only real concern for a while now, but maybe it will be a thing of the past.

To the nitty, gritty.

I have been using Winflash for some time now, it seem to do the job, never having any bad flashes (unless user error), but i have noticed something in the bios flashes I have been doing which has made me reassess just how good Winflash is. What got me thinking was the manner in which the same bios' would act diff with regards to LAN loss when flashed in diff order with other bios'.

To make things more clear,...

BiosX would be good with LAN

BiosY would be flashed then LAN no good

BiosX then reflashed but LAN not so good now

:confused: :confused:

The above is grossly simplified but im sure u peeps get the picture. Anyhow, after reading RGone new success with LPb (nice one :)) I decided I would drop back to DOS flash and use the switches RGone is using with the same awdflash version.

Well guessy whatty, 06/19 LAN, has been going strong for over 30 minutes

:eek:

For me this is a massive difference....could this be down to the dumping of Winflash for gud ole' dos mode?!@? Could it be the switches which RGone uses? I even used the /f switch, causing a small problem with LAN losing its MAc address, something resolved very easily. Or could it be another reason.

The other reason is where i need some outside input, for in this case it may have nothing to do with my actions. Reason.......

Well i saw a thread where it was mentioned that a 'new' beta 06/19 was available and that users should dowload from DFI site. The first 06/19 i was testing was the one linked in a thread here a DFI-STREET right in the beginning. Is this bios different to the one on DFI website?? Why is this important, because the results I have ,have been with bios from DFI site, not the original link posted on this forum.

So can info be brought forward, is LAN problems caused from flash process (i.e DOS does 'better' job then Winflash) or is their a diff in bios now on DFI website then that originally posted link on this forum?

mong hoping for answers

:)

RGone, yeah I read Popcicle's post, and you & he are probably right. But it's not speed. When I first noticed it I was only running 180x10. I'm not that interested in FSB, w/ 1/21 I usually run 205x12.5. With what I do (CAD) that's as fast as 240x10.5 w/ much lower volts & temps.

No biggie, I was just trying 6/19 for the heck of it and will play around w/ it in my spare time. I'll post back if I think that I've learned anything of interest.

Ad

:) mongoled and Ad Nelson. You guys are doing the digging and reporting and that is a huge help.

A_N, I guess I made error and did not see your 210FSB in your signature. I am so used to the 'run it till it breaks' thinking that I assumed and was doing incorrect assuming. Based on what mongoled just posted above you and you might have been typing when he was typing> you might want to try a reflash and just leave the /f off.

Mongoled. There was another 'very beta', 06/19 floating around. I finally pieced it together that the two were not the same and truth the orginal was uh; less than satisfactory on my two DFI sisters. Well it occurred to me first to make 'real sure' I did not mix the two and flashed the DFI official beta over the top of my old original 06/19/04 and the difference was day to night. Certain hints and between the lines told me the DFI beta site bios was the only one I needed to be trying and advised those on the early beta 06/19/04 to leave it and go to the re-compiled 06/19/04 as it was not done at DFI. The Beta 06/19 is the one to be using as it is the one being considered for move to officialdom. All other bets are off.

Now the rest of the story. I hate Winflash. I love FlashMenu. Winflash will jerk me around when I am hung up and not let me get a very dorked bios written over. HOwever I can 'always' work my way out of trouble with a DoS flasher. Let me be more specific here. I have SO far been able to use a Dos flasher and some manner of switches to get out of trouble. So for sure you are not going to hear me say use winflash. Use it if you cannot be bothered and such but I am not using it. Now that is out of the way.

You guys that have been around longer than since just yesterday will understand what I am fixing to say. I have 'stored' on my harddrive bioses that are *saved* from specific users that worked SUPER on their motherboards. I have many for the NF7 beause that is where I first caught up with this clue. Here is what I found. Bios code for no reason I know can be better or worse AS it is flashed onto a bios chip. And if you can find one of those bioses and get it in your hand>sometimes it really is the cat's meow. Strange! You better believe it! But men I did come in on the turnip truck yesterday>but I was driving it and I take advantage of every 'trick' in the book I can find.

Now since I know for sure that mongoled is sharper than, myself and with much more experience, I tell him that so he can do the research and know why the Dos flash may in fact work better, because strange things are out there. I personally believe it writes cleaner to the bios chip when not in windows. I also think the deep cleaning of the CMOS is best. Some too whatever to be bothered and shortcut that step. Now you have some more information to puzzle over.

Sincerely, RGone...:D

I was using the official bios for about a week. As stated before, warm boot problems about 1/3 of the time. The 6-19 bios gave me warm boot problems about 1/5-1/10 of the time. The 6-19 bios also gave me my first ever cold boot problem. :(

Hey.. I ReFlashed to 6/19 with RGone's exact directions.. and I still had Warm Boots (Fixed My Cold Boots).. And Also had random crashes in Windows XP, also OnBoard Sound Problems.. Making Winamp Crash.

Anyways I ReFlashed to 1/31 .. Even though my random Cold Boots...-- I don't have as many problems ..

Oh Well.. I hope that most things can be Solved before making it Official.

Thanks for all the Work RGone.. and All the Effort ;).. I'm not trashing ur work.. :)

Im just giving u my honest perspective.

I flashed this BIOS - mixed results

No LAN problems for me - both ports are good to go

Clocking is nowhere close to other betas - not even to 245 FSB

Still cold boot issues and warm boot issues (used to these however and not much of an issue)

Will be going back to older version - once new savior arrives.

AG & RG,

to speak da truth... only dis bios can help fix cold & warm boots problems on da new UI (da one not usin winbond bios chip)...

as for da new UI user... sum of them happy wit previos beta bioses from Oskar Wu, EvilouS & AdevMod... but still sum of them cant fix da cold/warm boots... dis bios (6/19) is a saviour to them...

ppl here damn happy wit dis bios... we wud like to give 5 stars for fixin cold/warm boots probs... :D

*almost all of us here usin winflash... & sum other usin dos...

need some help

i have had the cold boot issue - having to power up and hit the reset button to load windows

i followed rgones method and flashed to the 6/19 bios but it has not made any difference, i tried winflash as well - no difference

i am new to this all - how can i check what the current bios version i have is? (in case i am not doing it right)

can someone tell me where my board is from using the serial no in my sig?

if using winflash when do i do the powering off, clearing cmos and battery out bit? before changing things

i love the features on the board but would like it to boot up properly and not wail sirens at me - overclocking it will be a bonus

thx for helping a newbie