06/19 Fixes Cold-Boot - Please post HERE!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashed 6/19 using winflash, no problems.

Cleared cmos overnight.

With previous stable setting for 1/21, getting the following problems :-

(1) on some cold starts post stops on the 4th led requiring a reset

(2) on some windows warm restarts post stops on the 4th led requireing a reset

(3) some hard lockups in windows

I did not have these problems with 1/21

I tried Rgone's settings for the extra memory settings, also auto and 1,3,3,3,3,3,4 without luck.

:)

I did not have these problems with 1/21

So I am thinking you will have to run the 1/21/04 as the 06/19/04 is basically aimed at trying to stop the cold boot = no post problem, which you apparently do not have anyway. I have noticed that sometimes people who had a board that did nOt have a cold booting or warm booting issue> but then go and flash a bios that 'is' trying to fix that issue> the result is that cold boots begin. This bios is not designed or intended to speed anything up. In fact it takes a good deal more tuning to get it to run right. That loose timed PC3700 you got probably did run better on the 1/21/04. That is just my guess.

Sincerely, RGone...

well i flashed this bios with winflash with all cheched --clear bios, and all--

load optimized defaults and then reset the bios with the jumper and removed battery and no ac plug for 30 min then changed the settings 4 at a time and everything was going all right

i primed for 30 min at 250mhz and then shut downand removed the ac plug after this

i start the machine but it did not post i pressed the reset nothing turned it off and on nothing pressed the isert while booting again nothing then again unpluged and reset with the jumper for 3 min again nothing then reset again for 10 min it booted at last

then i did all the same as i wrote before and ended with the same none booting machine i suppose this is the COLD BOOT problem which by the way i ve never had before with my old boaed infinity which died a week ago and with the new board i started having this problem.

the odd thing is that when i received the new board after i started it i went into the bios and wothout changing anything i pressed save and exit and the bios died. i returened the board and they put my old bios chip from my old borad and it worked fine it was with the 4-29 bios but i started to experince cold and warm boot problems that i did not have with my old board with exactly the same bios and bios chip.

so i that`s why i flashed this new bios but the cold boot problem is even worse and the strange thing is that with the old bioses after pressing insert when booting it loads the defaults and the board booted al right if i clocked a bit higher. there was no use to even touch the reset jumper with the insert key everything was all rifght but now it is not working.

i will try all the sequence RGONE wrote above and see if this will work but if the bios is going to be official then it should be easier to flash it cause not every one can manege with

all this and if the winflash is selled with the mobo it should be working properly and the new bios should be working properly with it don`t you thing?

You are right I did not have a cold boot problem. :D

I gave it a try because I have a couple of bios chips, I wanted to try a bios with the extra couple of features that came out after 1/21, and had some spare time.

Don't you think that this may be a problem if they make this bios "Official" ?

For the moment I am going back to 1/21. I should have 2 x 256 OCZ pc3500 EB Plat by Wednesday next week, and I will give it ago again. If I find some useful info I will post the results back.

Cold boot is basically already fixed since 4/29 bios for me.

But warm boot, no post after a restart from windows is still there with 4/29.

I need more time to test whether or not 6/19 do solved warm boot issue, it's been 4 days and it's restart just fine everytime, no warm boot so far.

Experience from 4/29 bios, warm boot problem comes after a while of usage, about a 3-4 weeks, and it's getting more often everyday. I really don't get what's the hocus pocus behind this :D

My flash method is:

Returns all overclocked parameter back to default, than flash bios using ABIT batch file, basicly some set of switch for awdflash

AWDFLASH.EXE biosname /py /sn /cd /cp /cc

Turn off computer after flash wait for 1 minute, that turn back on.

awdflash version 8.24f

This bios is the best so far for my board. I flashed using winflash, reset cmos jumper, pulled battery, waited about 10 minutes, put battery back in, mooved jumper, fired up it come right on, loaded safe defaults. Cold boots are gone and some how my doubled sided sticks of ram are running at 230 fsb with cpc on when before 215 was the maximum stable limit with either 12/31 or 1/21. This bios rocks.

:)

Don't you think that this may be a problem if they make this bios "Official" ?

G-Code, I am going to be speaking just as my personal opinion and ideas after many many hours of reading and helping. NF2 chipset motherboards that can 'crank it' are quirky and hot-tempered. Abit 'never' fixed my NF7 to be able to run the best bios for it. It took tictac to do that. Continued study of NF7 has shown me they in general are on the wane. EOL is taking a toll. Low Vdimm(Vmem) made it nearly a necessity to run a particular brand of memory to run the NF7 stock and fast and on the bios that would produce the best scoring without SATA. That was just a fact. Mod the Vcore and 'not' kill the board like *many* did and it was some better alright at accepting different memory. When Abit fixed their bios corruption issues; they also killed a great deal of speed especially stock. Modded of course all bets are off, but you must generally mod so we start comparing apples to oranges.

Suddenly AMD *LOCKS* the processors and many flock to Mobile cpu's on a desktop bios. Power nOw is not in evidence on desktop boards and the design Oskar came with that likely would have done more than adequete with desktop processors began to show some real problems. And during this time frame; Winbond leaves the memory chip manufacturing market. No more BH-5 in production and that hurts big time.

Those are two giant changes in the industry that do not bode well for running rocket ship NF2 boards. Period. But you got to know and be studied and less than emotional to understand this.

Another giant change that occurred in the industry is the very youthfulness of many of the users. They have no clue what skills were required and needed to produce superb overclocks but instead in many cases they just read hype and being more in line with me and now thinking, were grossly underprepared to take any problems or set backs. Not a real clue to what was happening in the industry. So suddenly we have 3 major and giant changes in place that do not bode well for NF2 chipset motherboards of the rocket ship kind.

Add to that another or fourth bit to the equation and that was in the board producers hands itself. They were unprepared for the giant demand for the product I loosely call the DFI sisters and be faced with these shifts in the industry I have mentioned previously. They tested hardware wise with the prescribed cpu for a motherboard as AMD recommended and this they should have done. Motherboards are not built or brought to production over-nite and again the industry and the consumer was in flux.

Now a board designed for the most part before the 'giant' industry swings came into play and I mean three giant industry swings; is going to have rough sledding when the hard core clocker makes his moves to an un-validated processor on a board tuned to try and take on the previous king. Couple that with many youth entering the overclocking game without the skills many of us honed over years of useage. Add that to attitude; plus emotion over a piece of hardware and the makings for mis-satisfaction and frustration are at your doorstep.

I see this as the saga of the DFI sisters to this date. The up-side to all that is that AG became a DFI representative during this time and he along with myself have literally played instructor to a motherboard manufacturer that was late entering the HI-PO motherboard market as a late-comer. DFI is not a new player in production but only in the HI-PO arena. AG, well I won't say the things and pushes and prods and hours of communications he has generated in order to try to get the DFI sisters to perform when the entire industry that supplied pieces to run "in" a motherboard had just changed the "whole" playing field. AG hung to bring all users to the place of the 06/19 today. I was trying to be hired by DFI and as the very lowest rung on a hopeful ladder was able to use my skills to advise as best I could what AG needed to bring up to manufacturing. Again that brings us to the 06/19 and the question of its validity accross a wide range of users.

Most people do not push the boards across the world like many of us here do. They have not the monies nor inclination nor free time to play computer. They need computer. Many have not free monies to pursue computers as a hobby and spend hours tuning a benchmark as if it was the pinnacle of human endeavor. Many just bought the board for 'features' and used it with whatever memory they could obtain and it near stock speeds. I doubt at that point of useage; there would be a failure rate of even 4% and would be well within the percentage manufacturers set for RMA products. In here we have a mind set that is likely less than 1% of the whole of the computer industry. That brings us again to the 06/19 bios.

Thankfully, by and large emotional outbursts must be checked at the door in this forum. Emotion is not conducive to scientific undestanding. I have gathered about 2 points that I feel are of interest to the bios writing and am at this time trying to translate that for consumption in TW. Most of you guys with knowledge and understanding have been specific in your responses to glitches in the bios. You have the logic to know that specific information is all that is any good. My sheet don't work is not valid for repair.

Yes, I know this was long and covered areas that few care about due to emotions and status; but the facts still are facts and fixes are based on fact and not fiction. I am still of two minds on the 06/19 going to "official" status. To hear some in here, the bios could stand a little more tuning. For the other 98% of userdom; the 06/19 might be, "just the ticket" to relieve their cold boot=no post that is possible, perhaps, even in a stock situation. So I am scrambling from my hoped for position and gathering what real valid data I see and just before putting what I see into communications up the ladder to the decision making levels of a large company. I don't make decisions. I make analysis and submit. So I am of the mind right now that if DFI wants to look at a couple of areas of the 06/19 bios before "official-dom"; I will supply them a couple of areas to investigate. The outcome is not for me to decide on.

I know this will pass right by the undestanding of many but for a few of you it is that insight you always desire and that will suffice for me. I used this wordiness to put my thoughts on paper where I could see what they look like as I am in compliling my information. Thank you gentlemen for allowing me that.

06/19? Official 06/19? I think so but I am still making my last minute analysis of what I will report for the good of the most and that is all I know.

Sincerely, RGone...1:nod:

I have just one word to say

LAN LAN LAN LAN LAN LAN LAN LAN

Is no good

Sorry for the child like post, but is their ever going to be a LAN fix?

:(

mong

I flashed using RGone's procedure (awdflash 8.24F with the "/f" switch). Everything went fine but I lost my network. When I switched my bios savior back to 1/21 it was back. Right now I'm assuming that it's as DFI warned ...using the /f switch. I'll try some other flashing schemes.

Ad