New beta bios (6-19-04) for lanparty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused: was there a bios so far beta or otherwise in which halt timing was fixed? I can't remember? If it was supposedly ever fixed then the fixes should be carried forward. Right? This bios is supposed to be built off the 05/05/04 is what little understanding I have of it. So I guess the question is was the timing fixed in 05/05/04? It is not listed as a fix and the list of fixes is as good as we all know.

Sincerely, RGone...

Originally posted by Sachs
Originally posted by RGone

[ This bios is supposed to be built off the 05/05/04 ....

Fixed BH5 bug?

It would seem so ( at least in my case ) .My mushkins L-II's didn't have any problems after flashing or clearing Cmos a few times.

(took me 7 hotflashes to get the 4-29 to work LOL)

@mong: please get the files from WildKard at XS or uwackme. FYI every BIOS since the 2/17 Alphas have the 7 extra mem timing options unhidden.

@ FDM: I don't think the periph drops are SB heat related. I have come to the conclusion that the problem is "APIC Interface"-related. The 1/21 AI seems to be the most stable at x FSB for quite a few people, including myself.

@Tromoto & RGone: the HALT fix has finally been implemented in this new Beta. The 4/29 and 5/5 Betas both use the "incorrect old value" of 1F0FFF01 for 6C as well as the incorrect value of 1F for 6F. The 1/21 Beta uses the correct value of 9F for 6F but uses the "old value" of 9F0FFF01 for 6C. I can't remember what the other Alphas/Betas use but what is important is that Oskar is on top of it now.

I just flashed this morning and here are some more prelim observations:

1) For those that have "Soundx98's war mod" in place for 1.775V, this BIOS will cause it to be interpreted as 1.725V. The L12 mod for 166FSB is still interpreted as 200FSB.

2) The defaults for the 7 extra mem timings are from top to bottom: 3,3,5,3,2,2,3 (just like 1/21, 4/29, and 5/5)

I did have a near-warm boot occurrence once while rebooting after some BIOS changes. Have not turned the machine off to test cold boots yet. Will thoroughly test speed/stability for the next few days/weeks. One thing that's noticeable: nobody has complained in this thread about this BIOS killing their mobos :D

Originally posted by AdvModDev

2) The defaults for the 7 extra mem timings are from top to bottom: 3,3,5,3,2,2,3 (just like 1/21, 4/29, and 5/5)

I get 3-2-5-3-2-2-3.......are these timings different for various mem sticks?

im da new dfi gunea pigs... hahahhaha... :nod:

well... just from a short test bout few hours... dis bios react almost da same wit all other beta bioses...

just like RG told ealier... he dint have any extra mhz... & i also cant seem any higher fsb or max speed...

well few of my frens have try dis new bios & non of them had a bad flash...

& one of my frens dam happy coz hes UI never like any of other beta bioses except official bios... wit official bios he can hit 250 but will have cold boots probs... wit other beta... cant hit 250 but cold boots solved...later try dis new bios... now he can have 250 fsb & cold boots free...

now im back to EvilouS 428 C18 coz dis is da best bios i ever have... :nod:

:) friends are having some fun. Hehehehehe. I think I have seen now some 13 bioses that in one way or the other came from DFI and Oskar perhaps. But I bet if I could get the names all in a row for all the bioses that are now circulating, which are modded off the original 13> the list would have 45 or more entrants. Finally though it seems that there is one that flashes and works on most boards. That is a good thing as it appears to solve cold boot=no post. Have fun man.

Sincerely, RGone...

Originally posted by New-B

I get 3-2-5-3-2-2-3.......are these timings different for various mem sticks?

Unless these values are also programmed into the mem's SPD, probably not. Are we looking in the same place? I got those values from Bus#0, Dev#0, Func#1, Reg94

My HO'finity being one that has had cold/warm boot issues, droping/changing bios settings on boot, and just wouldn't tolerate 4-29 or 5-05 bios' This is a breath of fresh air!:shake:

Removed both of the wire mods that had effectively stopped the warm/cold boot issues for a few weeks now. I had flashed both RD-1 and original bios chip to 12-18 (as advised in bios flashing sticky) made sure both would boot to windows and proceeded to flash 6-19.....all went well, did a complete mechanical cmos clear, loaded optimal defaults, and booted to windows (barely a pulse @6X133, LOL). Re-booted to bios and began to slowly bring settings back to my 24/7 levels.

Did many warm re-boots, and 3-4 cold boots (10-15 min. @ total power down condition) No problems whatsoever! Yahooooo!

Now running 10x240, 11 2 2 2 2.0 13 15 eafe all others auto, 1.8 vcore, 1.7 vagp, chip auto, 3.2 vdimm.

Been running Prime for over an hour at present ,no problemo, and have noticed that the 12V line is not being drained nearly so much with this bios, also other voltages are not fluctuating nearly as much w/ other bios......not sure if that is relavant, but the whole system just "feels" more stable, as I said so far so good.

I will be testing higher OC's later this eve. as I am off to play golf this afternoon:D This will also give me a chance to see what happens affer a long total power down/cold boot. (HeHe, any excuse to hit the links). Will report back additional findings later.

WOW, Sure looks like a keeper for to me!:cool:

Addendum: 7 1/2 hours later.....switched power back on to PSU, hit the main power button and she fired up to correct settings first time! :nod: OH YEAH! Will see what goes on with higher clocks later.

Thank You OSKAR, DFI, et al

ME=Happy Camper!

Originally posted by AdvModDev

@Tromoto & RGone: the HALT fix has finally been implemented in this new Beta. The 4/29 and 5/5 Betas both use the "incorrect old value" of 1F0FFF01 for 6C as well as the incorrect value of 1F for 6F. The 1/21 Beta uses the correct value of 9F for 6F but uses the "old value" of 9F0FFF01 for 6C. I can't remember what the other Alphas/Betas use but what is important is that Oskar is on top of it now.

after reading the forums, i had found that the registers that i had to modify where 6f (to 9f), and 6e (to 01). (using WPCRSET)

is that incorrect?

you say something about 6c there

My UI is a no-POSTing cold boot warm boot champion and is useless without the wire mods. When I flashed to 6/19 I left the wire mods in. Found no problems.

I then removed the wire mods and got my RESET finger ready to go. WHOOPEEE! No cold boot no-POSTs. Even after changing the CMOS contents there were very few warm boot failures.

This seems to be a "very well-behaved" BIOS. :)

I'll be using 6/19...without the wire mods.