Hanging PC Issues - XP Pro?

Hi Gang,

well its been three weeks since I built and fired up this rig. And since then reading these forums I was able to slowly debug the system from regular hang ups to game crashes and the occasional screen freeze.

Last week I received a copy from Microsponge (we are microsoft all will be assimulated) an eveluation version of Windows Server 2003- Standard Edtion.....

Running and formatting XP to accept the drivers and general hardware configs caused a few headaches and random mouse breakages ( I have a very short fuse) I downloaded all the patches all updates and still I got the random system hangs. OK they were far few between but they still happened...

So I thought I'd change the operating system to the 2003 server, WELL.... strike me pink not one issue popped up no hang ups no random freezing and even accepted my drivers with out all the fuss XP did.. which got me to thinking..... (Dangerous past time I'll admit!)

XP ran faultlessly on my Intel chip, but not my AMD

Win2000 ran faultlessly on my AMD but not my Intel

98 ran on my intel no probs but not very well on AMD...

Is this a pattern for anyone else.??

If you run XP and still get hang ups I'd recommend either 2000 or Server 2003 be given a look at ( as well as updating your driver and a few other tips given within these forums).... i'm more then impressed with 2003 so far... games run fine and most of my software run as a XP compatible enviroment.... hey its worth a shot right?? works for me :)

One Happy Chappy :nod:

Tristan_NZ :

I solved the hanging issues a few days ago. I noticed that after i installed the east asian language without putting the language tool bar on the taskbar caused hanging issue. When i double clicked My Computer, it took 1 sec to show up the My computer. I suggest you show your language bar on the taskbar if you did not. It works for me . :nod: :D

Tried that too, I'm very happy with Server 2003 and won't bother with Xp anymore, although I did have the language bar on the taskbar, but this could also be an issue with different Xp releases I noticed from various other forums there are alot of issues with Xp causing hangings... think Microsoft should retire it and put it in the same draw as Win95, but hey its good to hear your issues cleared up :)

cheers

I had similar problems with XP Pro .

I have solved it this way :

-disable APIC in BIOS

-reinstall xp

- follow the correct installation sequence as described in the 'Important information - look here' - thread)

Btw I never had any problem with win XP on any other system.

The most 'stable' windows to me.

-jaco

Supposedly the FINAL release of SP2 is supposed to address some of the collective hanging and BSOD issues with XP. I look at it this way...Small partition for the OS and a large partition for data that can be recovered in dos with ghost, or a small boot drive and raid fer storage. That way ya don't lose anything if you have to reformat/reinstall. Also something I have always done and recommend is that when you download a program you keep the original install file in a folder for just installs. Then I make a multisession dvd and just keep adding to it so I don't have to download everything all over again. I also rename the install by prog and version so later u can figure out wtf they are!!!!

Thanks for the replies, Yes I disabled the APIC before I installed XP and I always have a partition of 10Gb set asside just for the operating system, there are/were never any blue screens of death and I had/have a beta version of SP2, hey look I'm not saying none of these aren't possible solutions, they just never worked for me, now that I got Server 2003, my troubles just vanished...... :D