Sign in to follow this  
Freek

Infinity or LP A

Ok. I have a LP Rev.A now how much better is the new Infinity.

I can`t afford a new LP rev.B but I can buy the Infinity board.

Now how fast is it and is it better than the Rev.A.

I don't know how much "better" the LP is but it does have alot more bells and whistles. That said, I didn't need all the extras that the LP offered so i picked up the infinity. And my infinity flies.:D

Originally posted by sparkie34

I don't know how much "better" the LP is but it does have alot more bells and whistles. That said, I didn't need all the extras that the LP offered so i picked up the infinity. And my infinity flies.:D

I am just curios is the Infinity rev.B better and faster than the LP-A and if it is how much.

well, there's really no telling how much faster (if any) it would be, as it's kinda luck of the draw (plus I don't know how fast your LP.A is). However, there are a LOT more BIOS options (as in more BIOSes to choose from) and there is more voltage available to the RAM and CPU I believe. The combination of a good beta bios and more voltage may get you a lot more speed.

EDIT: Doh, just noticed your siggy. Well, that would be considered probably an average to poor overclock on the infinity (but remember, your other components may just not like to OC)

Originally posted by -jp-

well, there's really no telling how much faster (if any) it would be, as it's kinda luck of the draw (plus I don't know how fast your LP.A is). However, there are a LOT more BIOS options (as in more BIOSes to choose from) and there is more voltage available to the RAM and CPU I believe. The combination of a good beta bios and more voltage may get you a lot more speed.

EDIT: Doh, just noticed your siggy. Well, that would be considered probably an average to poor overclock on the infinity (but remember, your other components may just not like to OC)

my memory is pc2700(333Mhz) so it is holding me back really hard,

plus my PSU is not good. I can get to fsb 220 but with terrible latency. I can put cpu on 2V just like the Infinity only you have vdimm 3.3 and I have 2.8V but I am going to do a volt mod so no problem for that. I have the same options in the bios because I have downloaded some beta bios for my board.The problem is that they are not putting any more new bios for this board so I have deal with this one.

On default fsb 166(333) and with latency 2-2-2-6 i get in AIDA 2550/980.

:D all these 'faster' terms we throw about are really rather pointless overall. Judging by your own admissions your system is woefully equipped to pull the power hungry DFI sisters to a pace commiserate with the phrase 'overclocking addicted'.

You are asking about upgrading the motherboard, but as I have said more than once that is just the tip of the iceberg. You don't appear to have any components in your old system that work well with the DFI sisters except the 2500+ and then it really only if it is a mobile processor or a 'very' stout, unlocked desktop processor.

I had everything in hand to BE running my NF7 in the 250x10 speed range. I *thought* to just (swap) to the DFI sister mobo. Boing, oooohAwwggaaa. Wrong answer in the wrong contest. The stout memory that I had procured to run my NF7 was not the much ballyhooed BH-5. The power supply I had in the case would not pull the DFI sisters to the level I wished to try and run and the list of things to amend or upgrade for my pre-supposed mobo (swap) was not short.

In essence you would need most likely a new power supply and memory that will 'work' and work well in the DFI sisters or your migration up or in some cases only a little laterally from an already good LPa board>will be less than satisfactory. I hope you can read this paragraph with an eye to what I said and not what you think I said. I intended to refocus your attention from the hype surrounding the word 'faster', that is so easily mis-understood. Speed is relative. The term speed is seldom mentioned in the same sentence with the real world requirements for reaching X speed and maintaining it. I hope you now have a scenario of the real world speed you can sink your understanding into.

The best I can do; sincerely, RGone...:nod:

@Rgone: I now my system is old and bad except the Board and the CPU which is an unlocked desktop model.

In any case in your opinion which memory the DFI-s boards like best.In my country I get only get Kingmax,Corsair,GEIL..I can`t buy stuff like Mushkin or BUffalo there is no more BH-5 memory-s to buy.

I am an overclock maniac I push everything to the limits.So I am still in a Dilema.Because not many people have the LP-a board.And the sad thing is I bought it 5 months ago and just one week after I bought it REv.B comes to the store.MY STUPID RETARDED COUNTRY.:sad: :sad: :sad:

which memory the DFI-s boards like best.In my country I get only get Kingmax,Corsair,GEIL..I can`t buy stuff like

just one week after I bought it REv.B comes to the store.MY STUPID RETARDED COUNTRY.

From those quotes you say your country will not likely have the good stuff. Translate that to mean, perhaps the 'right' stuff. I don't know your country of residence and I do not know the sites that you 'can' buy from over there. You can ask 'kash4u' the hard time we had in finding what was considered the best available at "HIS" pricepoint in his country. Plus the fact he wanted to equip his board with 2x512 instead of the faster 2x256 setup. No NF2 chipset likes to run dual channel with over 2x256 very well or ultimately 'fast'. The chipset is dated.

If you email me to the address in the blue of my sig; the links to the etailers available in your country> I will look them over as I did for 'kash4u' and I will try to sort thru and give you a couple of ideas that you can pursue on your 'own' and quite obviously at your 'own' risk. You can also email 'kash4u' as he has already had this gone thru by me for him. I only attempt this sort of service when the market is totally out of my region and totally out of our UsA knowledge. And quite frankly it is rather stupid to even try and suggest memory for those in countries that I am unfamiliar with as all of us that can buy from nearly any supposed good market are right now faced with buying other; "than what we really would like to be able to buy"!

There are a couple of good threads in here about memory that the memory 'experts' have participated in that speak volumes in the words and in between the words. I would see if you cannot get a glimpse into some of the nuances of memory choices from those threads as well. Every company is scrambling to supply for the next round of releases and many of us are only just now movng up to the 2 year old technology. That technology was implemented with an eye to what was available at that time and much of it; at least memory wise is deceased. You would do well to measure your wants against your needs in a very thoughtful and practical manner.

Sincerely, RGone...

PS: You could also just throw caution to the winds and buy you what you perceive to be a faster platform and see how it works out for you. Many do so and it has a good end. At anyrate you would be posting along with the rest of us about our DFI sisters. Hehehehehehehee. RGone...Again...:nod:

Thanks RGone:angel:

but I still don`t have the information on how fast is the Infinity.

I really searched the WEB but I coludn`t find any overcloking on LP-A i pushed my to 220 with Samsung 333Mhz memory.So I don`t know is this the top.If it is then it would be better to buy an Infinirty.

:) I have run my mouth all, that I will. You are now returned to your regularly scheduled programming.

Have fun and happy putering.

Sincerely, RGone...

with PC2700, the overclocking is usually not going to be as good as with the faster memory like 3200, 3700 etc.

As for your question of 'how fast is the Infinity'...thats the same as when users ask us 'whats the best bios?'. There really is no good or right answer.

I'd have to say most users run the board at stock speeds. The majority that come here or to other forums (which in reality are still the minority of owners) have theirs overclocked anwhere from 167Mhz to 290Mhz FSB.

if you are asking 'how fast' in the sense of 'how fast is this board in benchmarks at xxx speeds vs an Abit/Asus/Giga/MSI/Soltek/etc board at the EXACT SAME speeds'...then we could probably provide you with a variety of benches.

but benches never tell the whole story. I know that RG claims that while his NF7 was very fast, the UI at same speeds etc is faster. I have heard others claim the opposite. Speed is a relative term that is more up to each individual than it is to everyone.

A NASCAR (american redneck racecar driver) would tell you that 175mph is slow...because he is used to doing 230mph in a straight track...but I would say 175mph is insane and dangerously fast because I have never been in a wheeled vehicle that has done more than 140mph (and let me tell you, 140mph in a car even out on a deserted road is pretty scary).

this probably isnt the answer you were looking for, but I think its the best answer you are going to get.

Does the Infinity overclock better than the LPA? yes and no. Its really up to your equipment and your skill. Is the LPA faster than the Infinity? In a general sense no, because they both utilize the same NF2 chipset. ;)