The please explain your HANDLE thread.

elts_drac

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh I see that was a different page......

Ok My Real name IS Tristan and I live in New Zealand (NZ) used various other handles from Unforgiven_au to Master Wolf, fed up with trying to find one that sticks and childhood nicknames to describe me I wouldn't post such vulgarities...hehehehe

Mine comes from what kinda got me into this whole computer thing..... GAMING . My first video game console I purchased myself (SEGA GENESIS) and my favorite game for it.. (GOLDEN AXE). The main bad guy's name was deathadder... I use it for all multiplayer FPS's.... so if you see the name it's probably me!!

Off the coast of Scotland, miles off shore is the Isle of Staffa, a remote, black, rocky loaf made of basalt. In it is a weird cave called Fingal's Cave. Queen Victoria once visited it in a paddle steamer.

Mendelssohn wrote an overture about it. Pink Floyd recorded it for the soundtrack Zabriskie Point but it didn't make the final cut. Look for one of the soundtrack bootlegs.

How did Holothurian get his name:

Many years ago my wife, some friends and me were playing Trivial Pursuit. About half way through the game I got bored and started making up the questions when it way my turn to read the cards. (“What is the distance between San Francisco and LA in nautical miles?” “In 1938 the Vice President of the United States was in a now famous 3-way car accident. What was the nick-name of the dog involved?” etc. Try it sometime, at your own risk!) When it came time to read my wife’s question I asked, “What is the scientific name of the common sea cucumber?” Well, I had forgotten that she has seen the same National Geographic special as me, so after a few minutes she gleefully came up with the correct answer “Nudibrac!” I was busted. I had to own up to making up all the questions, lost all my pie pieces, and she was really pissed!

A few days later I was signing up for my very first internet account and was having a really hard time coming up with a logon that wasn’t already used, and I didn’t want to be something numerical like bob1453 or warf124, I wanted my own unique ID. After about 20 minutes of trying to think up a “cool” ID, my wife wandered past the den door and asked what I was doing. I explained my dilemma and she retorted, “Well, you could always be nudibrac!” and stormed off. So I tried nudibrac and it was already taken (I could have been nudibrac8, but, well, you know). I tried sea cucumber, but same thing. So I whipped out the dictionary and started looking at other related terms for nudibrac. I soon found “holothurian”, entered it as my login and it went though! That account is long gone but I’ve been Holothurian ever since.

hol·o·thu·ri·an: Any of various echinoderms of the class Holothuroidea, which includes the sea cucumbers. From Latin holoth ria, water polyp, from Greek holothourion.

Well, mine also stems back a ways

it has been shortened a bit over the years

Originally it was geebo21 Which was a conjunction of geek(who'da guessed) and rambo and 21

geek -rambo..go figure

got that from my commercial diving career,geek cause I always had the latest and most technical equipt...rambo cause I'd dive anywhere anytime no fear of storms etc..

the 21 cause at the time I was 21..which explains the rambo part as at 21 we all think we're invincible

so at my first internet account (ao'hell) I tryed just geebo..course it was taken but in the suggestions it came back with gebo21 so I kept it....that was 19 years ago and I haven't changed it since and use it anywhere I go.

I'm always amazed at how long people keep their handles. Same with me.

Back in 95 I was hired to run a Chicago-based Company called Sound Experience (I called it soundx for short, anything with an "X" was pretty kewl those days). Since soundx was taken by some other dork, I used soundx98, looking into the future and all of course. hehe. Guess I sorta forked up around 99.

Was gonna change my handle to that Prince symbol dealy thinger.

But I can never find a keyboard with it.

• 4 months later...

Well, my handle is quite ironic and was put by some of my closest geek friends.

Xeon as an irony because I'm an AMD Lover All the way!

I added 3D because it was the 1st thing that came into my mind when setting up my nickname on our IRC Servers (national ones) that use Nickname registering.

Sometimes I just sign on as X on some forums...

Me likes X ya know!