The please explain your HANDLE thread.

elts_drac

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose "ronin" when I was about 12-13 years old (31 now) to use on BBS's I visted with my C128 on my 1200 Baud modem hehe.

I had just read "Shogun" by Clavell and loved the idea of the ronin. Even then you'd see people with "ninja" as part of a nick, and Shogun seemed too pretentious lol, so I went with ronin.

After the movie with DeNiro came out, the nick exploded on the net, and everytime I tried to signup for a website it'd come back with a "nick already in use" error. So since I was very active in a virtual navy group playing 688 Hunter/Killer Subsim I morphed it into ronin688. I've never had a problem registering it since.

At least a few times a month though, I get somone saying "Oh ronin was a great movie!" and I've gotta grind my teeth hehe. (Not that I don't like the movie).

Love to see all the explanations here. I always wonder how people's nicks evolved.

Jazzpicker= Jazz for the style of music, picker= one that plays guitar.

I''ve played guitar all my life and in the last 15 years or so started studying jazz guitar.

I don't know if it's good or bad but I haven't run across another jazzpicker on the net on all the years that I've been using the name.

A guitarist, Hank Garland (played on many popular recordings) was "jazzbilly", I guess referring to jazz/hillbilly.

:)

SeanDude05

Sean, my first name.

Dude, my football nickname. One of the assistant coaches was an a-hole who kept yelling at me "hey dude run that route again, hey dude nice catch" never bothered to learn my name, and it stuck with me throughout school.

05, which is actually 0-5 which is a joke my friends started about how many attempts it took me to get with my girlfriend. Whom I am still with today, persistence pays off sometimes folks! :)

My nickname comes from a finnish gothic rockband named Nightwish.

I was registering on a forum not knowing which name to choose (while listening to their music) i choose that name.

The 68 comes from 1968 my year of birth.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... mine started way back with the descent series game. I used to just put 'Kevin' and deal with it, but in IRC one day everyone tried to give me a nickname. Started out with snugglepus from Sesame Street, then it was snugglealufacus (I don’t even know how to say it so don’t worry). Since then I've shortened it to Snugg or Specops_Snugg...

I have a tattoo of a dragon on my right inner forearm and a tattoo of a wizard holding a baby dragon on my right calf. Not one dragon tattoo, but two DragonTattooz. ;)

I use TorqueWinsRaces on automotive-related boards. That name has started quite a few discussions.

I use STFU n00b on a couple of private boards that I go to. Larger public boards like this won't let me use that name. I think it's hilarious. Thing is that the board moderators don't get the joke- and being that it's an "inside" joke, I wouldn't expect them to.

When I was using the TWR name on a private board some kid was invited by another member and he misunderstood something I wrote and told me to "STFU n00b". He was banned. But, the funny part is that I'm far from a n00b. I had the moderator of that board change my name to STFU n00b and I've been using it ever since.

EDIT:

Oh, you might get a kick out of this. Here's my sig on the private boards. Yes, it makes for a huge sig, but again, that's part of the joke-

Super Supreme Slumlord Almighty

rwstfu5do.jpg

shutup0aw.gifstfu4bb5dz.gif

About 10 years ago I was trying to pick a screen name that wasn't used in AOL. My 5 and 9 year olds, at the time, where there helping me. I also lived in Jacksonville, Florida then. My oldest said Daddyjaxx. I said huh. She said, you are Daddy and you live in Jacksonville. :)

I really liked my first one too after watching Ghostbusters...Staypuffed, but everything has been Daddyjaxx for al this time.

It's all about the graphics (special effects) and gaming power for me, hence "FXed". In my 20+ years of building computers for a living (mostly Mil-Spec computers for the military and the U.S. Government), and building PCs for myself over the past 7, I've found that if a computer can handle the high-end 3-D games out there then there's very little else they cannot do. I also use FX CPUs in my main rigs, which only furthers the name for me but that wasn't the only reason I'd chosen it. It's also fast to type and easy to remember. I also have about 5 different screen names on different forums, but "FXed" is reserved for the DFI-Street forum exclusively.