Sign in to follow this  
bypolar

My New 35W 2400M

Sparkie34 - very nice. Great Overclock. Can you get the same performance through bios adjustments or just when using ClockGen? Is this your Prime, 3D01, etc stable 24/7 performance testing or max overclock? Will you add some of your system specs and voltages in a sig for us.

I run this setup 24/7 at 242x11 cpc on at 1.9vcore. I only use clockgen to get an idea of what my fsb will be then i adjust it in the bios to my 24/7 setting. No this is not this chips max. I'm on water but its been a little warm in the house lately so i don't want to run it too hot. After priming at 24hr. temp is 43c.

Kewl, Very kewl, - green, very green, with envy all ready.

You water-coolers always do that to me. Can you do me a favor?

Open Sandra

Information Modules

CPU & Bios Information

Select Processor

Haflway Down is

POWER RATINGS

And tell us what "CPU Core Power" is reading at 242x11?

just for grins and to humor me. I'd appreciate it. You may be surprized as well.

Maybe a post in the "Case Pics" thread in Off-Topic when the rig pictures are ready?

nice screenies bypolar, shows you the power delta as speed goes up.

sparkie34 - 143W @ 250x10 on HO#2 over here. Thought you'd be surprized.

Anyone else gonna give us their readings?

35W or 178W. kinda makes you wonder WTF the thing is really using doesn't it? But I'll bet you money ours are consuming way over their rated power. The Fact is all the mobiles seem to increase in temp dramatically above 2300. The boards don't accurately allow us to monitor CPU socket temps, and diode readings (or whatever that is) are totally useless.

178 watts. friggin kewl (sorry, meant hot):nod:

Originally posted by soundx98

nice screenies bypolar, shows you the power delta as speed goes up.

sparkie34 - 143W @ 250x10 on HO#2 over here. Thought you'd be surprized.

Anyone else gonna give us their readings?

35W or 178W. kinda makes you wonder WTF the thing is really using doesn't it? But I'll bet you money ours are consuming way over their rated power. The Fact is all the mobiles seem to increase in temp dramatically above 2300. The boards don't accurately allow us to monitor CPU socket temps, and diode readings (or whatever that is) are totally useless.

178 watts. friggin kewl (sorry, meant hot):nod:

Actually Sandra wattage "estimates" are at the input of the computer power supply. Not the CPU

itself. It's not hard to figure out for yourself though and is just simple Watts law. The wattage

goes up at the square of the ratio of the Vcore change going up and the square root of Vcore

change going down.

Assuming that AMD's rating of 35w at 1.35Vcore is reasonably accurate for the average 35W Mobile

then the wattage change from 1.35Vcore to 1.950 Vcore change would be;

1.950/1.350 = 1.4444^2 = 2.0864 x 35 = 73.025 watts.

Core current draw would go from about 25.93 amps at 1.35Vcore to about 37.45 amps at 1.950Vcore.

For the WC gang out there it works out to (73.025/1000) x 3414 = 249.31 BTU's/Hr.

The MB's Vcore switching power supply is typically about 75% or so efficient so that 73 watts CPU

would be 73/.75 = 97.33 watts input to the MB's Vcore PS. That is also the wattage drawn from

the computer PS to support the CPU. A typical computer switching PS is about 65% efficient so

97.33/.65 = 149.74 watts at the wall plug give or take a few watts just to power the CPU!!!.

Viper

that's some really handy info there ViperJohn :)

How did you calculate the current draw of the processor? And would that be peak amperage?

I don't know many PSUs capable of delivering 37+ amps on the 12v line (which is what the CPU gets it's feed from, iirc).

Originally posted by -jp-

that's some really handy info there ViperJohn :)

How did you calculate the current draw of the processor? And would that be peak amperage?

I don't know many PSUs capable of delivering 37+ amps on the 12v line (which is what the CPU gets it's feed from, iirc).

Again its Watts law for DC circuits V*A=W or W/V = A.

That is 37 amps off the MB Vcore PS at 1.950 Vcore. In the example above the current draw

from the computers PS 12V rail to power the MB's Vcore PS would be 97.33/12 = 8.11 amps.

It would depend on how AMD calculated and published the wattage of the CPU ( average or

worst case ) as the current draw is based on AMD's 35 Watt spec. I couldn't find anything

at AMD that defined what the wattage rating was representative of as far as average, best

case, worst case, etc.

Viper

ViperJohn, dang you make it easy! I think I followed the whole thing. w00t.

There is somethin funky with AMD's mobile power ratings. Don't believe thats at "full power". I believe the 35 watts is rated differently cause of the Power-Now design? ALmost an idle mode? Think most of the higher end chips are rated at 65W so overclocked certainly has to be close to your figure. Sandra seems pretty close as well. I know the temp jump around 2300 is large on most of the mobiles.

But the explanation/walkthrough is great! Big Thanks To Ya.

Can you take a minute to walk us through some typical graphic cards power calcs? I know they consume lots of da juice. Gotta love hearin from the smart guys:)

And aaahh, what did that overclocked rig of yours read?

Originally posted by soundx98

ViperJohn, dang you make it easy! I think I followed the whole thing. w00t.

There is somethin funky with AMD's mobile power ratings. Don't believe thats at "full power". I believe the 35 watts is rated differently cause of the Power-Now design? ALmost an idle mode? Think most of the higher end chips are rated at 65W so overclocked certainly has to be close to your figure. Sandra seems pretty close as well. I know the temp jump around 2300 is large on most of the mobiles.

But the explanation/walkthrough is great! Big Thanks To Ya.

Can you take a minute to walk us through some typical graphic cards power calcs? I know they consume lots of da juice. Gotta love hearin from the smart guys:)

And aaahh, what did that overclocked rig of yours read?

I would bet AMD's spec in the nominal average power comsumption of the core at 1.35 volts

in the case 35w CPU so box builders can calc typical run times per battery charge. If you are

just idling at the windows desktop it's probably lower and if your are 3D gaming higher.

The mobiles definately produce less heat and run somewhat cooler than a regular Barton does

at the same Vcore, fsb and multi. My TEC cold side temps are consistantly 5-6C lower with the

mobiles than normal bartons when whipping the $ell out of the FPU looping 3DM01se Nature.

Viper