Hmm I think I like my new rma'd 9800

Just got back my 9800 rma from newegg.

1. Sapphire 128m :)

2. 'The heatsink' (you know, the 'one') :)

3. 'R360' on the core :D

Am I right that this is a 9800xt core????

After I am sure it is okay this time, I want to flash the best bios for a 9800xt 128meg if this is what I think it is :nod:

Verification and pointers to correct bios for this combo please.

Everyone else wait until you see verification and then go get 'dem sorta XTs!!!:shake:

Originally posted by mad mikee

After I am sure it is okay this time, I want to flash the best bios for a 9800xt 128meg if this is what I think it is :nod:

Everyone else wait until you see verification and then go get 'dem sorta XTs!!!:shake:

If you looked around rage3d forums, you would notice that people do not get very excited about r360 cores on 128 MB 9800 Pro's. That's because they overclock worse than r350 cores especially if voltmodded and coming together with Samsung 2.8ns BGA memory ...8E-GC2A. Yes, the r360 cores if flashed to XT bios might get better 3dmark scores by 100 or 200 points at similar clocks because of shader optimizations, but gaming fps would be worse than for a similarly overclocked r350 core and the latter still probably would have some headroom in it.

See

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33757771

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33759347

Originally posted by mad mikee

R360's have been going on 9800's since about mid January '04. The latest wrinkle is the 9800Pro's

are now being built on the XT PWA with just a change of memory chips.

The bad news is with rare exception R360 core ares poor overclockers compared to R350's.

There are many R360 cored 9800Pro's built on the reference 109-A07500-xx PWA that can't

even break 400 core stock.

Viper

Yeah. Right... but hey perform worse than the XT cause the vgpu is lower in most cases... and the older r360 cores just performed worse (ati took the bad batch r360 for the pros).

But if you can coll the cards well and supply some serious voltage to the core you'd be able to get 500MHz core as well... :D

I have BOTH sitting here.....one on my right the other on the left.

The 9800pro R350/Samsung is faster, and takes TheVolt better than the R360/Hynix. My brother is a bit miff'd, he would rather have an older 9800pro. I did flash it to XT finally with a real 128Meg XT bios for Hynix/R360. Works fine, the better shader Im sure does help in some things.

The R360 with good cooling starts to freak at Vgpu over 1.725V while the R350 takes 1.95V with no complaint. So I cant get past 420ish on R360 but can hit 480ish on R350. Ditto the ram, Hynix unhappy at over 2.95V but Samsung takes 3.2+ with ease.

Originally posted by SAE

My samsung does not like more than 2.95V (8E-Die)... must be the pcb!

That is normal for 8E chips as they are a 2.500 volt chip to begin with. The memory OC will start going

backward with Vdd over somewhere in the 2.900 to 2.950 range.

Samsung RA chips are 2.800 volt chips and like the Vdd higher.

MJ

I should rephrase.... my sammies "take" TheVolt well, but I dont get any benefit over 3.050 so thats where I am. The old Infineon 3.0's on my old 9700faux loved 3.2Vdd.... 3.0Vddq.... 1.5Vref :nod:

I havent done the Vref/Vddq mods yet. Hear people say it kills boards.... hmmmm. But I wonder if treasure to be found in modding them.

The R360/Hynix hates TheVolt.

is there still issues with the 'black grids' showing up in some DX9 games when flashing an XT bios on a pro? I tried this awhile back using a few including a gigabit bios which was the most recommended at the time and game 2 of 3dmark03 among other games showd black grids. I am willing to reflash my pro to an XT bios if a new one is out or a fix has been found.

I had no clue there were shader differences between the pro and XT. Would flashing an XT bios give me better picture than my pro because of this?

Originally posted by cantankerous

is there still issues with the 'black grids' showing up in some DX9 games when flashing an XT bios on a pro? I tried this awhile back using a few including a gigabit bios which was the most recommended at the time and game 2 of 3dmark03 among other games showd black grids. I am willing to reflash my pro to an XT bios if a new one is out or a fix has been found.

I had no clue there were shader differences between the pro and XT. Would flashing an XT bios give me better picture than my pro because of this?

That should only happen when flashing an XT bios to an R350 cored card!

Originally posted by cantankerous

As SAE said you flashed the XT bios to a card with a R350 core. Before you go flashing the bios

on the vid card you need to ID the core and memory chips first!

Viper