2 dead mobos on arrival.

well,it´s my first post here,i´m from portugal,so sorry for my poor english .

i recently used to own an abit nf7-s,which i killed by scratching the back side of the mobo,pure stupidity.

i was very happy with the board,in therms of stability and overclocking,never has one single problem with the board .

i had to purchase some new enthusiastic´s board,and the choices were :

buy another abit,or buy dfi.

read some reviews bout dfi and i was very pleased with the overclocking capability of the board ,as well as the excelent bundle.

i decided as an enthusiast user of pc´s to go DFI lan party b.

the board arrived,put on my hardware,turned the mobo on the fans working,but no picture on screen.....wtf??

the four leds of the board on.....

well ,i tryed another cpu ,had a 2400+,and a duron 1400.

no picture on screen,4 leds on....

i tryed 2 sticks of ram,elixir 3200 ,and ocz 3500 e.l.

nothing.....

changed graphicas card....geforce 3 ti 200,radeon 9800pro,s3 virge(pci)

nothing....

well the hardware is ok,i tested it on another board.

i noticed the socket was a little bit high on one side,but i did not payed too much attention.

i called the shop ,and they sent me a new one.never happened nothing like this to me,receiving a dead board,but i decided to give dfi a chance.:angel:

the 2º board arrives,mouted my hardware on it,outside of the case to avoid any mistakes .

put cpu mems graphic card ,a 500w psu that i bought.

turned mobo on,4 leds on,no pic on screen,tryed all hardware i mentioned before.

the socket was not close to the pcb on one side (near the keyborad /mouse entryes) i checked the back side of the mobo,and some pins of the socket did not came out of the board,they usualy do.

thought to myself :what a bad soldering job...:eek:

today i expect to receive my 3º board,and i´m not sure what i should do if this one comes the same way....

i´d like to know wht are ur oppinions about this.

as dfi is selling products to ppl who really love hardware like myself,i think it is not good for this company to sell boards in this conditions don´t u?

i whish my 1ºs post was about how happy i was in changing from abit to dfi ,but it is not....:(

:) it certainly sounds as if you have had your share of bad luck or circumstances and I think were I a consumer in your shoes would have taken my good for Abit components as you state and been back to something your components were happy with and myself back to happy if I were in your same journey.

Peoples journeys, do not all come to the same end and I would alter my roadmap if my journey became as bumpy as yours has been for you. I like a little smoother ride than the one you have been on. Ultimately the road taken is in the hands of the one taking the journey. I would look at a new roadmap should I have found myself as you.

Sincerely, RGone...

I believe doa boards are simply corrupt bioses. First thing to look for with the official 11/27 bios is that u turn it on, and then press reset. Its strange to have to do this but it is not random, it will happen everytime u cold boot with 11/27 bios. It was the same with the original shipping bios on my epox 8rda+ nforce2 board (approximately 2 years ago).

I would recommend a bios savior however. This can recover from bad flashes. I tried 4/29 on my 1st board, and it crashed real hard. I was getting a blank screen with bios and bios savior. However it was recoverable. I removed the memory because I was getting a rapid bleep (infinity has no diagnostic LEDs), and the reason to pull the graphics card power cable was because the on screen prompt told me the graphics card power cable was not plugged in.

After resetting the cmos the error will not be the same one, i.e. if u had memory error bleeps:

remove memory>clear cmos>reseat memory>clear cmos

then the board will not have the same error. All this takes a number of hours.

I clear cmos like this:

turn off psu>

set clear cmos jumper>

remove psu power cable>

turn off power strip/wall socket>

replug psu cable>

turn on power strip/wall socket>

turn on psu>

set cmos jumper back to normal operation position>

press power button on front of pc case.

Now u should be fully qualified to get a bios working again. Be sure to have a bios savior for the time when u cannot post directly after a flash. Then u should use

awdflash824

Use these switches to recover from a bad flash:

AWDFLASH bios.bin /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /f

All this can't help a warped socket however!

Originally posted by RGone

:) it certainly sounds as if you have had your share of bad luck or circumstances and I think were I a consumer in your shoes would have taken my good for Abit components as you state and been back to something your components were happy with and myself back to happy if I were in your same journey.

Peoples journeys, do not all come to the same end and I would alter my roadmap if my journey became as bumpy as yours has been for you. I like a little smoother ride than the one you have been on. Ultimately the road taken is in the hands of the one taking the journey. I would look at a new roadmap should I have found myself as you.

Sincerely, RGone...

sorry,but i have dificulty understanding ur post,u say i should go for abit or another mobo manufacturer?

ur post sounds like budhism m8,and í´m just a guy who loves hardware....;)

Originally posted by x-seed

sorry,but i have dificulty understanding ur post,u say i should go for abit or another mobo manufacturer?

ur post sounds like budhism m8,and í´m just a guy who loves hardware....;)

He said u had bad luck and that if he had the same bad luck he would have got another Abit.

none of the solution worked for me,and i dont hava a bios savior,and can not buy it here,i dont know where.

if i could i would have one ,if the corrupted bios is the problem...

but it cames from factory corrupted already??

none of the solution worked for me,and i dont hava a bios savior,and can not buy it here,i dont know where.

if i could i would have one ,if the corrupted bios is the problem...

but it cames from factory corrupted already??

I am sure this place will sell u one:

http://www.eksitdata.com/_uk/index.asp

The bios could come corrupted. Just look at the socket, that was warped so anything is possible.

I am sure some users just don't know how to cope when they see a blank screen.

Originally posted by MasterAtArms

I am sure some users just don't know how to cope when they see a blank screen. [/b]

well i must admit i don´t know what to do wen a board doesn´t work out of the box,appart from changing and checking my hardware...or rma it.

the idea of a board with a corrupted bios from factory is not normal in my opinion.

maybe dfi should include a bios saviour in the bundle,that would be nice ,and ,as i can see ,a "MUST".

well i think i will receive a new board today,and post the results,as well as pictures of this one,if it cames like the others.

do u think it could be some incompatibility between the memory modules and the board?

One of the guys over at XS had 5 brds DOA, it turned out it was his mobile CPU which the mthbrd didnt like (it was one of the earlier version mobiles).

Can u get some of your system settings in a signature, like mine for example, then it will be easier for us to help diagnose a problem.

If the third board is DOA then u definately need to start lookign at other possibilities then mthbrd

well ,i tryed another cpu ,had a 2400+,and a duron 1400.

no picture on screen,4 leds on....

i tryed 2 sticks of ram,elixir 3200 ,and ocz 3500 e.l.

nothing.....

changed graphicas card....geforce 3 ti 200,radeon 9800pro,s3 virge(pci)

;)

X-seed, my heart goes out to you. It it inded a terrible feeling when you have all 4 LEDs on and no post. As far as having terrible luck with two boards I must agree. Especially out of the box new like that.

I am sure some users just don't know how to cope when they see a blank screen.

I certainly don't think this was meant as a shot at YOU. Master at arms was simply stating the fact that it throws most of us into a tizzy when it happens. Sometimes nothing seems to work, and sometimes it just cures itself after a day or two. Master at arms IS extremely knowledgeable as well as being fluent in RGonian. (Sorry little inside joke there)

It usually is the result of a bad flash or some components not playing nicely together. Wish I could give you a better answer but it all seems after the fact now. And If it happens on the third board, I have to believe something else could be causing it.

I will also tell you that of the three boards I have, the L12 and Vcore defualt pin mods have stopped booting issues completely. There is info on them within the forum or feel freel to PM me if you have questions.

Best of luck with board #3 and please keep us posted on it. My apologies for the flames at the other forumas well.

Oh, by the way these boards are rocketships when running properly.