Momentary Freeze NF2 400-AL

I just recently picked up a DFI NFII 400-AL motherboard and Athlon XP2800. I was playing Joint Ops online and noticed it started to momentarily pause or freeze (screen freezes, if sounds are playing, they will loop for that time interval) , sometimes for 1 second, some times maybe 2-3. I have also noticed this problem when using Windows Media Player when playing MP3's and you can see the visualizations lockup (although sound is not affected). I suspected it to be Video Card related, but I swapped it out with my roomates and still same problem. I even replaced the CPU to see if that was causing the problem. The RAM was used in my previous machine with no problems. The only thing I can think is that is it Driver related, but where to start? This is the 2nd board I have recieved with the same problem. I also have a friend who has encountered the same problem using this MB. Any advice or help is appreciated. I have not tweaked any of the voltage or timing settings either.

My system as it currently sits:

Athlon XP 2800

DFI NF2 400-AL

2 x 512MB Kingston PC2700

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

80 GB Seagate IDE HD

Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP1

Thanks,

Mike

Are you using the nvidia SW-IDE drivers? I would suggest uninstalling your chipset drivers and reinstalling the latest set from nvidia. Make sure to say NO when it asks if you want to install the SW-IDE drivers.

I had some similar problems when I first set my system up. I'm pretty sure that's what fixed my problems. I'm not totally sure, though, because I had some other stuff causing problems at the same time.... so it's tough to say exactly what fixed what. :rolleyes:

I will give that a try. I dont have my home computer in front of me, but is are the chipset drivers part of the A/R Progs? Or will I have to go through and find it in the Device Manager?

TIA!

I tried unloading and reinstalling the Nvidia drivers, it seemed to be good for about 15 mins, but is started doing the same thing. Any other suggestions to remedy this problem?

Thanks!

To be honest..... I have no idea.

I guess the next thing I'd do is make sure my video driver is up to date and that I've got all the Windows updates. Then I'd probably start disabling onboard stuff to see if anything makes a difference. I'd probably also try bumping my voltages up a little bit just to see if it help -- sometimes when I've been pushing my system a little farther than it's comfortable with I've had similar things happen.

And lastly, I'd be hoping someone in here who knows what they're doing comes along to help. :)

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "SW-IDE" drivers?

I have the same board (new) and am going to be building a machine for a friend as soon as my last shipment from NewEgg gets here (probably today). Most of the hardware is put together already. Just wondering about the driver installation difficulties to ease the pain.:D

Problem:

C1 Halt Disconnect problem on nForce2 systems

Description:

A hang is caused when the CPU generates a very fast CONNECT/HALT cycle

sequence.

Workaround:

Set the SYSTEM_IDLE_TIMEOUT to 80 ns. This allows the state-machine and

timer to return to a proper state within 80 ns of the CONNECT and probe

appearing together.

Since the CPU will not issue another HALT within 80 ns of the initial

HALT, the failure condition is avoided.

This will require changing the value for register at bus:0 dev:0 func:0

offset 6c.

Chip Current Value New Value

C17 1F0FFF01 1F01FF01

C18D 9F0FFF01 9F01FF01

Northbridge chip version may be determined by reading the PCI revision

ID (offset 8) of the host bridge at bus:0 dev:0 func:0. C1 or greater

is C18D.

From site...: http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cache:Wf...offset&hl=pt-BR

I'm willing to try this configuration change, but where can I find the below? Registry, Device Drivers, or BIOS?

Originally posted by NoOne

Problem:

C1 Halt Disconnect problem on nForce2 systems

Description:

A hang is caused when the CPU generates a very fast CONNECT/HALT cycle

sequence.

Workaround:

Set the SYSTEM_IDLE_TIMEOUT to 80 ns. This allows the state-machine and

timer to return to a proper state within 80 ns of the CONNECT and probe

appearing together.

Since the CPU will not issue another HALT within 80 ns of the initial

HALT, the failure condition is avoided.

This will require changing the value for register at bus:0 dev:0 func:0

offset 6c.

Chip Current Value New Value

C17 1F0FFF01 1F01FF01

C18D 9F0FFF01 9F01FF01

Northbridge chip version may be determined by reading the PCI revision

ID (offset 8) of the host bridge at bus:0 dev:0 func:0. C1 or greater

is C18D.

From site...: http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cache:Wf...offset&hl=pt-BR

Originally posted by Warhawk71

Forgive my ignorance, but what are "SW-IDE" drivers?

I have the same board (new) and am going to be building a machine for a friend as soon as my last shipment from NewEgg gets here (probably today). Most of the hardware is put together already. Just wondering about the driver installation difficulties to ease the pain.:D

The 2 that I had problems with or having problems with were brand new as well. (i've got a friend who picked one up and experiences the same issues.) Mostly noticeable during game play.