What's Next?

Guest pastryrocks_merged

Guest pastryrocks

Well I suppose at some point I would be asking these questions. First off, this is my first time overclocking a computer, had done my poor video card with other system.

Messing with the BIOS is something new for me, my other system had an Intel mobo, no BIOS messing to speak off. Waited as long as possible before I began to crank up the CPU, seems though I have reached an end to the cranking. Here where I am at:

236x14 =3360 GHz (stable)

Vcore @ 1.4

Dimm voltage @ 2.6

Locked the AGP/PCI/ATA @ 66/33/100

Memory Frequency is set to auto (3.0 - 3 - 2 - 8)

Have made it to 3.4GHz (242 FSB) but not stable, games stop playing, can’t even watch a movie anymore. At this speed the computer does not re-boot, it just freezes. According to Motherboard Monitor, heat is not an issue. At 3.3GHz it took less than 2 hours to reduce a 5Gb movie down to 1Gb, the CPU Temp would not break 47ºc-48ºc and the case temp was 33ºc-34ºc.

Like I said, I very new to this overclocking stuff, so I though I would ask what’s next?

Please be kind with your reply.

Thanks, Pastryrocks

Here’s my system’s:

New System:

Intel P-4 2.8E (Prescott)

DFI Infinity 875P

OCZ PC-3700 Enhanced Bandwidth Platinum Series 2x256Mb

ATi AIW 9600 Pro @ 400 core /324 memory (back to stock until finished with CPU)

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Pioneer DVR-107D (8x DVD-R+/- 4x DVD-RW+/- 24x CD-R/RW)

LG 16x DVD player

Seagate SATA 120Gb 8Mb 7200

Aspire X-Alien metal w/420-watt Turbolink power supply

Vantec Nexus Fan Controller

6x 80mm case fans

Thermaltake Tiger 1 Chipset Cooler

Swiftech MCX478-V with Vantec Tornado 92mm

Vantec IceberQ Copper Cooler with OCZ Copper RAM sinks (VGA Cooling)

OCZ Ultra 5+ compound

hrmmm...your limiting factor might very well be that Prescott cpu...they aren't as strong overclockers as the Northwoods are...

have you upped the AGP voltage? (it controls the agp and NB voltage)

have you upped the vdimm voltage any?

another thing is to ask OCZTony what he recommends with that EB stuff since he has all of our boards and works for OCZ ;)

Guest pastryrocks

Ok, I’ve upped the Vcore to 1.45 and the FSB to 245(x14=3430) and it worked. Ran 3DMark01SE, no problems, however, Prime95 only lasted a minute. Temp no problem.

Guest pastryrocks
Originally posted by Angry_Games

what are your mem timings at that speed when prime fails?

They are

FSB:DRAM 1:1

3.0 - 3 - 2 - 8

In the BIOS Setting the 'DRAM Timing' is 'By SPD'. Though of course I can change these values. As I understand or what little I understand, the Enhanced Bandwith memory has high DRAM timing settings, I though this would be enable a 'stable' overclock.

Guest pastryrocks

Well made it to 250 FSB with the Vcore set to 1.475, max setting in BIOS. I am aware that there is a voltmod that has been done on other mobo’s; I assume that the same could be done on the DFI 875P? Of course if a RMA is required, I suppose a voltmod could be problematic.

Anyway, ran 3DMark01SE and broke 15,000, not too bad with an AIW 9600 Pro, the CPU temp was 50°c at the end. The idle temp is about 35°c, the case temp is 29°c, and in a room that is 20-21°c. Hope the air conditioner doesn’t break this year.

Two questions, since the computer is two weeks old, over time will the CPU and system become more stable?

Also, would changing my memory timing help to stabilize my system? I don’t suppose that I could run Prime95 for 8 hours or so, but I would like a somewhat stable overclock.

generally, as you "burn in" your CPU, it can become more stable at higher speeds. Ie: I had a 2500+ Barton, after about 3 monthes I was able to take the multiplier up from 9.0 to 9.5 at the same FSB even though 9.5 wasn't possible before.

loosening your mem timings can and will help stabilize the system overclocked...but also maybe some different memory....

PLEASE put your specs in your sig as I have no clue again what you are running!!! This would help me and others immensely!!!

as for burn-in...there's two schools of though...one is that its stupid and no such thing, the other (which I subscribe to)( says yeah, this is true. I see it like a car...when you first get a car, you arent supposed to go over a certain speed, or drive it at a certain speed for the first 6,000 miles etc as it can cause some weird engine damage etc.

but...after a month or three and 6000 miles, you can then start screaming it up as fast as it can go as its been broken in, the seales are well oiled etc. I believe the same thing about electronics...but i could be an idiot and wrong lol.

Guest pastryrocks

The first thread had my specs. Though I suppose that by keeping an updated sig would be easier for those wishing to help and for those who are just looking. I am new to all this 'stuff' and I am learning.

Been able to get to 250 FSB (3.5GHz) but no way is it Prime95 stable, can run 3DMark01 without a hitch. Some games are a little funny at times, and the heat is running about 50-52ºc at that speed. I am running Prime95 at 230 FSB (3.2GHz), temp hovering around 49-51ºc.

OK for 1.5 hours, so now I'll crank it up some and see what happens.

Thanks,

Pastryrocks

Guest pastryrocks

Ran Prime95 tonight, at each setting I ran for over an hour without any problems. The room temp is around 20-21ºc.

FSB= 230, Vcore 1.435, Dimm 2.6, Memory timings set by SPD max temps 49 CPU-31ºc case

FSB= 235, Vcore 1.45, Dimm 2.7, Memory timings set by SPD max temps 50-31ºc

FSB= 238, Vcore 1.45, Dimm 2.7, Memory timings set by SPD max temps 50-31ºc

FSB= 240, Vcore 1.45, Dimm 2.7, Memory timings set by SPD max temps 50-31ºc

My P-4 1.7 Willamette is 29-27ºc in the same room.

I am guessing that this is good?