DFI LP NFII Ultra B Reliability

Greetings All

Just require some advice...

I currently own a Abit KD7-Raid Mobo. However, I have had numerous random crash / re-boot problems ever since purchasing (coming upto a year now) . I have been repeatedly trying to get it stable but have given up in disgust... :mad:

The point is that after much research I think that the DFI LP NFII Ultra B would suit my needs very well.... but after reading many posts on this and other forums I am concerned that I will end up with another unreliable board. I had hoped that a new BIOS release would solve many of the issues raised but I am somewhat surprised to discover that DFI have not released a new official BIOS for some time.

I am not an over-clocker but do require a solid, stable and trouble-free platform - are my concerns unfounded or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks

As far as i know and the 3 boards i have seen or tested, none of them have had a problem that wasn't fixable. Sure, the boards had cold boot problems, but who is powering off their computer all the time? I do that like once in a month or so. However, the 4/29 bios solved all that. Never had a cold boot problem since.

I can't see why this board would not fit your needs, but it's a ₪₪₪₪ of an overclocker.

Edit// Looks like the word (h e l l) got nuked by VB.

:) I think you really need to expand or explain what it is that you call stable and some more detailed information about what you mean random crashes and so forth with a KD7 setup that you have had had for nearly a year and you say you do not have it like you want it yet.

See I know that few people had problems with those boards you mention. My brother has in service at this time a KD7-E and it is by his estimation one fine motherboard of that style and time frame.

Now I know many don't agree with this idea but it is very true. This DFI board you ask about; the LPb is aimed at the enthusiast and are built with that in mind. You did not just wander into this forum as a non-overclocker and start to ask questions about this rocket ship with some problems for some people, board. There are tons of mainstream; load it and go boards.

Something is up in your mind that you either don't recognize yourelf or you are brainstorming something you are considering that you haven't revealed yet. When I see this it gives me a little uneasy feeling. See I had a board that would not cold start. It is gone to DFI Taiwan as of now for examination of it along with at least two more I arranged from among the customers I know. This cold boot failure drove me nearly to distraction as I 'always' turn my computer off after use. No many don't but I do/did and it drove me into cussing fits when it came time for me to start the computer and go.

Yes, I patched that board to startup cold as many did. No not all had one that had this problem. I have no idea how the board would run clocked to defaults. I never have ever run one of them that way. No clue man. But something tells me you are a clocker in the closet and you want to come out as the phrase may be and I am not sure you have all the information you need to do so.

It is just very strange for someone with a board with a years worth of problems to come into a forum supporting a board that when spot on will fly and ask if the board has problems and you know it has some oddities at times for some users. I do you less than a service if I do not question this action. What is up my man? Humh?

Sincerely, RGone...

RGone, have you ever thought of being a phsychologist? If not, then you should :D

As for this board, I dont know why anyone would buy it to run at stock speeds. I do have some cold start issues, but they dont bother me enough to take action. I could do some mod, or I could swap my bios, but I dont choose to. I dont need to. If it wont boot up cold, then I just hit the reset switch and it comes to life. Great board, and I say this with the original bios that came with it (11/27/03 maybe?). good luck with your purchase.

:nod: actually over time, I have found that just working in the nuthouse has a rubbing off effect. HEhehehehehe.

Now humh?

Great board, and I say this with the original bios that came with it (11/27/03 maybe?).

Lanparty NFII Ultra B - Mobile 2500+ IQYHA 0348(250*10) - 512*2 OCZ EB PC3700 -

And I repeat: "now humh?"

I think you are going to need to expand the settings you use on the EB PC3700 you are using and if for real you are at 250x10 and if it will run 246x10.5 or so and complete 3dmark2k1. I was able after learning the UltraInfinity to go back to the 11/27/03 official bios and run 238x10.5 with my "now gone BH-5" and do so with regularity. It takes knowing what is going on and tuning the board to make these rockets go. It is not load and go. But that aside; is that EB3700 doing that well or are you using an old signature?

I have followed the threads on EB3700 and again as with anything computer related the 'luck of the draw' plays an important part. I want to know point blank if 'yours' runs that well? I don't have any good flying memory at this time and have considered the EB3700 as a trial replacement for my missing good stuff. I am aware of dice rolls and if OcZ sells me some memory that will not run the numbers>then it will go back. However your sig and statements quoted above intrigue me greatly.

Ain't this thread jacking in its highest form? HEhehehehehehe.

Sincerely, RGone...

I'd recommend you check out some of the MSI boards with a VIA chipset (8237) if you want a rock solid performer. Found them to be boring and slow with lackluster support, but it sounds like what you're lookin fer. Reliable as all hale.

Oh, and keep that stick of ole 2100 around ifin you go with DFI. Kinda curious what the hale you do with a 1G hard drive. No offence intended sir.

Originally posted by RGone

:nod: actually over time, I have found that just working in the nuthouse has a rubbing off effect. HEhehehehehe.

Now humh?

And I repeat: "now humh?"

I think you are going to need to expand the settings you use on the EB PC3700 you are using and if for real you are at 250x10 and if it will run 246x10.5 or so and complete 3dmark2k1. I was able after learning the UltraInfinity to go back to the 11/27/03 official bios and run 238x10.5 with my "now gone BH-5" and do so with regularity. It takes knowing what is going on and tuning the board to make these rockets go. It is not load and go. But that aside; is that EB3700 doing that well or are you using an old signature?

I have followed the threads on EB3700 and again as with anything computer related the 'luck of the draw' plays an important part. I want to know point blank if 'yours' runs that well? I don't have any good flying memory at this time and have considered the EB3700 as a trial replacement for my missing good stuff. I am aware of dice rolls and if OcZ sells me some memory that will not run the numbers>then it will go back. However your sig and statements quoted above intrigue me greatly.

Ain't this thread jacking in its highest form? HEhehehehehehe.

Sincerely, RGone...

OCZ eb3700 are completely awesome. 250fsb at 2.9volts, hands down supreme memeory. Of course, I have not messed with the timings, they are bone stock. I will tweak them more once I get my SF II blowing on them, that way I can throw higher volts at them and not worry about frying them ($345 :eek: ). But yeah, those are awesome.

EDIT: they were worth every penny too! :nod:

EDIT2: CoD and other games still seem to have hickups at some places tho. you would think that they would run smooth as butter with these speeds. Like in CoD, I run it maxed settings at 1600x1200 with vsync on and it gets 75fps (all my monitor can handle), but at certain places, it just drops down too much! like around bushes and stuff. it is annoying... I believe it is my video card, I have hated it from day one. I guess everyone made such a big deal out of it and I was expectin way too much out of it. Oh well, x800XT has my name written all over it :D

:D yep, I priced that stuff an it is pricey little dumplings. Where I shy away and get nervous feet is in reading others reports on the EB stuff and they are not nearly so lucky as you are.

And me being so unlucky as to be without my own little blue-skirted darlings> I hate to force my dice roll. HEhehehehehe. I had rather play seven card as the odds are better for me it seems and I don't feel like memory roulette right this minute with any manufacturer. But dang it is tempting. Hehehehehe. I am just going to go call one of the 'counseling' hotlines. HEhehehehe.

I see kash4u is in the forum and I hate to walk all over his thread but he might as well know what we all tend to seek with these DFI sisters and just how crazy they can make us sometimes. RGone...nutso...

OK.....I'll try to answer all the questions....

1. As to what is wrong with my current mobo - nothing - except that it decides to re-boot itself completely at random (as far as i can tell). Sometimes it goes for days without any problems (i do shut down the computer every night) and then all of a sudden bang - its rebooted right in the middle of say surfing the net or watching a TV program or listening to some audio or editing a word file, etc... etc.... - i can't figure out what causes it to suddenly pack up. But it does this often enough and randomly enough to get me really annoyed.

I have the latest bios (official), I have not overclocked the system in any way. I have downloaded the latest WHQL certified G400 drivers (thinking maybe it was a graphics card problem). Windows XP SP1 is relatively up-to-date. No problems with sound, hard drives, cd drives, etc.... I went to great lengths before purchasing the motherboard to ensure I had a decent power supply (because I had read that with this particular mobo - having a decent well spec'ed PSU solved alot of problems othe users were having). I ensured I had good ventiliation...... I don't have a RAID array set up - i just use the drives as standalone. As far as I can tell there is nothing special about my setup - standard equipment, standard software. There is one other thing which I find odd. Although each cold boot is successful in terms of the fact that it boots into windows xp without any obvious problems - on occassions (perhaps as much as 30% of the time) after logging in to my account I find that there is no sound and that certain aplications simply do not work (for example zone alarm pro). And I am unable to reboot from within windows - I have to press the reset button - and upon the subsequent re-boot everything works fine. And its always on the second reboot (via the reset switch) that it works (if it fails on the first). This is also annoying.

2. I am not an amateur with computers but I have never tried overclocking before - simply because I haven't got round to reading these things up before trying it out - although ultimately if i can get the system stable using normal settings then it would be nice to overclock the system somewhat.... :)

3. With regards to the 1GB its from the 486 DX50 days.... - seems to work fine (so I haven't thrown it out yet) and I use it to store my "user/data files" - that is non-system files (and no audio/visual) - mostly just office/pdf/html etc.. type files because performance wise it wouldn't make any difference to put it on the faster drives. The other drives have about 8 partitions between them (for performance reasons - eg, my page file is not on the same drive as my OS, my emails are on a separate partition, etc...)

4. My reasons for the LP Ultra B is that I want the best platform / combination of features for the processor I have at the moment (including the potential to overclock). Any hard drives I purchase will be SATA as opposed to IDE so why go for a mobo with only one SATA channel? I like the fact that I can have up to 4 SATA HDs and 4 IDE devices. I was thinking about the KT880 chipset mobos from VIA but there isn't any competition (just Soltek, Asus and MSI) - and from the reviews they are just playing catch up with NF2. The no. of USB/Firewire ports, Dual Channel support etc... are also good features (my mobo has no dual channel support and no firewire port). Now having said all this if I can get my current mobo to behave then I'll probably stick to what I have (at least for a while) - but I haven't been able to...

Right.... so whats the bottom line... if I purchase it then overclocking will be a pleasure (:D ) and I should not experience boot problems (or atleast not enough to drive me crazy)??

PS. I intend to purchase better memory anyway (the PC2100 came with the mobo - else I would never have purchased it in the first place)

If that board o yours has a one year warranty I'd suggest getting an RMA immediately. Soundz like you're getting so mad at the sucka a 10 day reprize from it may even do you sum good. If the replacement board works well. you have your answer and we'll see ya when the DFI 64s start shipping hopefully.

Your HDD explanation makes sense to me, although I was hoping you had it in cause it WAS 1G. (kinda retro ya know). Would like to point out that the extra drive may decrease air flow, generate heat, and use up to 20w of power. PLus sometimes those older drives "don't work and play well with others". never did well myself in that category.

Oh, got a 2G HDD in the work HO. Cause I can. kinda retro like I said.

Would have RMAed but got the mobo from ebay (believe me never gonna do that again). Got plenty of power and ventilation so no environmental probs and the 1 gigger and me have been through alot...:)

So if I am going to pay for a new mobo - i'd rather get the best of the bunch which brings me back to the Ultra B and if I can overclock it - even better.