Official CASE pic thread! 56k BEWARE!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thespin
It's not nearly as clean or nice as some of yours, and the cable management (or lack thereof) will likely give some people mild aneurisms, but here's my rig:
Post a side pic with the window side off and the lights off ...

Has anyone built a case in which the drives ount on the side? I mean rather than out the front. You can see how I have my computer on my desk:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/akai-...ei/IMG_1466.jpg

it makes it slightly difficult to access the front of my disk drives. But if I built my case with the drives coming off of the side, then it'd work better. Has anyone done this? How deep (from my perspective, that is, it's width on front access towers) would I have to make it?

Are you referring to cases that rotate the drives 90 degrees so the front faces the left panel? If so, there are many examples here in this thread.

I believe ExRoadie or THunDA have examples as well.

I have built a few computers using cases with that mounting. Such as the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811170026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811133142

From my perspective, drives are easily accessible but cabling can be a chore to run if the manufacturer does not allow for enough room at the back of the drive cage.

Depending upon the manufacturer's design of the drive cage, airflow over the drives may be reduced to a great degree. This is mainly present in cases which use a thick drive rail design which leaves little room for air to pass through.

Has anyone built a case in which the drives mount on the side? I mean rather than out the front. You can see how I have my computer on my desk:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/akai-...ei/IMG_1466.jpg

it makes it slightly difficult to access the front of my disk drives. But if I built my case with the drives coming off of the side, then it'd work better. Has anyone done this? How deep (from my perspective, that is, it's width on front access towers) would I have to make it?

Guest thespin
Has anyone built a case in which the drives ount on the side? I mean rather than out the front. You can see how I have my computer on my desk:
If you are thinking having access to the CD/DVD drives from the side, I haven't seen it. Some have HD mountings from the side like the Antec P160 but that's 3 1/2" with the side panel off.

If you want access to a CD/DVD, the simplest thing is to buy one that's external and put it anywhere on your desk ...

If you are thinking having access to the CD/DVD drives from the side, I haven't seen it. Some have HD mountings from the side like the Antec P160 but that's 3 1/2" with the side panel off.

If you want access to a CD/DVD, the simplest thing is to buy one that's external and put it anywhere on your desk ...

Well, I'm planning on building an acrylic case like Dragoe. But yes, having access to the CD/DVD/FDD drives from the side panel is what I have in mind. I'm also probably going to use backplanes so I'll want to have a lot of 5.25" bays. I also haven't decided if I'm going to mount them in a single column on the right or have three or four horizontal rows at the top, but that's just design.

IMO the best design, especially if you are going to have the computer sitting on your desk, is with all drives at the bottom of the case.

Optical drives on the bottom layer. Hard drives on the 2nd bottom layer.

This may be a job for Super AutoCAD! lol

IMO the best design, especially if you are going to have the computer sitting on your desk, is with all drives at the bottom of the case.

Optical drives on the bottom layer. Hard drives on the 2nd bottom layer.

This may be a job for Super AutoCAD! lol

Ooh, there's an idea :D

Optical drives on the bottom layer though? I would think it'd be better to have them up at least a few inches so that desk clutter doesn't interfere with the drive bays, is there a particular reason why you prefer the HDDs above the opticals?

Even under heavy load, optical drives do not require as much cooling as hard drives do which is why my preference would be to place them on the very bottom of the case.

They don't have to sit directly on the bottom though. If you plan on having a base, either comprised of case feet or something that will raise the bottom of the case off the off the desk, then 1 to 2 inches should be fine.

Of course, with "desk clutter" being the variable, only you can decide what suits you. :D

Optical drives on the bottom layer though? I would think it'd be better to have them up at least a few inches so that desk clutter doesn't interfere with the drive bays, is there a particular reason why you prefer the HDDs above the opticals?

lol, thats just what i was thinking. i'd never get my roms open if they were at the very bottom, lol.

TGM

fyi on my case; i got my cooltechnica "WYE" connector and some uv blue cool sleeves today in the mail. the elbows should be coming really soon. i met a mod on another forum and he's sending me a SLK948U to do some air testing on my Newark 4000 while i'm routing and stress testing my water system. should be fun to see the difference.

My new TJ107, pretty much a case dream come true for me. Had to make a lot of my own wires though because I'm so damn maticulous about wire placement. Guess i'm still to used to having a windowed case. Anyway, it's plain looking to many, but I love it. It's actually an "engineered" case. enjoy.

100_23401.jpg