NFII Ultra Infinity & XP-M Questions

This is my first post here :P

I have a couple of questions to clear up now... :rolleyes:

Firstly, is it possible to solder some LEDs on to the board in the space for the POST diagnostics like the LANParty and have them work, or is the Infinity lacking some other hardware required to control them. If it is possible, what voltage of LEDs are required, and what orientation must they be installed in (I could check with my meter to answer probably all of the questions above, but I'm lazy :D)

Secondly, is my XP-2500-m lame or something? Everybody else seems to be getting 2.5GHz+ or 250FSB out of the damn things and my IQYHA FQQ4C 0406 2500-m can't cope with FSB250 (My ram is fine, as long as I drop the memory timings a bit - my old TBred had no problems) or much above 2.3GHz regardless of voltage (it's stable at current speeds on 1.75 but giving it more doesn't help in the slightest...) Seems like I'll never qualify for a toaster, but only just on both FSB and CPU core x_x

Thanks

To answer the second part of your question, NO your CPU is not lame, you just have to start easy. I started at 5x230, primed for about 20 hours, then upped it to 5x35 then 20 hours, upped it to 5x45 then 20 hours, then 8x145 for about 20ish, then 9x145, and now stable at 10x250. I am not done yet. SO this gives you an idea of how people get where they are.

As for the first part of the question, one of the techs on this forum will answer. good luck

someone asked about hte LED's a few months ago and the engineers in TW answered a strict NO, it is just not possible to put the diagnostic LED's on teh INF board.

im sure tho, if you were crazy enough, you could find a way to do it ;) best have a firetruck outside your house lol

ok so you can run it 9.5x248 and you said the Vcore is 1.75. What are you running the [email protected]??? Have you burned it in slowly? Do you have active NB cooling? Extra sinks on the Vdimm mosfet(its runns upwards of 90c when you are really pushing it)? How stable are your rails on the PSU? You may have already explored this but since its not in your sig and you didn't mention it, I thought I'd ask.

My VDIMM is at 3.3v... I don't have active NB cooling but I'm more concerned about the SB since I burn my finger touching the heatsink - the NB is only warm-ish ;) Also, I doubt that this is the problem since my old TBredB ran fine at 250-255. I don't have any cooling on any of the MOSFETS since I don't really want to invalidate my warranty irreversibly... But again, the fact that it ran at 250+ before no problems tells me it should be the CPU. I'm not so sure about the PSU since it's only a cheap 400w model. Read with a DMM or the board's own circuitry +5v and +12v are about 0.31v over, but the +3.3 is a little low - running at 3.26-3.38, but nothing I'd worry about.

Uhm, so putting HS on the mosfets will ruin the warranty? even if you just put them on there with thermal tape and remove them in case?

About your problem, since you say it is the processor, feed it more voltage and break it in some more. see if that does it. if not then that will just have to do it for it then.

Actually - Since I left Prime95 torture test running sine I first posted this topic it runs stable at 250x9.5... I've always been pretty sceptical about the whole idea of needing to 'burn in' CPUs to get optimum overclock as my TBred was pretty good from day 1 - that said I may have been unknowingly burning that in from day one since it started off in my old Shuttle SN41G2 running at 10.5x200 on 1.7v - when I got the Infinity I was able to run it at 250x9.5 orr 255x9 from day one on lower voltage.

I'm gonna back off to about 2GHz now and leave it running Prime for a few days and see how it goes :S

Edit: Shame about the LEDs thing - I would have liked to have some matching RED LEDs not only for POST diagnosis, since all my other case lighting is blue and it looks cool where the two RED LEDs for Suspend power and RAM power on are now :)

Actually, I was a bit silly there - I'm worried about attaching some heatsinks to the MOSFETS, like soldering LEDs to the board won't invalidate my warranty :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's priming, still :D I'll just leave it a while, but like I said 250FSB was never stable before.

One more concern - I was thinking of changing the SB heatsink - is it better to get a slightly larger passive one (old heatsink off a geforce 2) or use a really little fan that came in an old laptop that fits the existing heatsink perfectly? I can't put a fan on a larger heatsink or use an even larger NB style heatsink on it as it'll never clear the VGA Silencer... :(

Originally posted by Angry_Games

from my pic above, thats from an old GF2 MX vid card (the black one on the SB)

from this pic, you can see where I pulled off an old Asus A7V266-E's NB cooler and put it on my LPB's SB =)

Hehe. Nice Angry... :)

I have a gf2-mx400 sink there :D