question about alpha and other extra timings.

Guest Zero_merged

Guest Zero

i am pretty sure it hasn't been asked here yet :P (i don't know what to serch to find it fast enough on amdmb), but i would like to ask about what those timings are, or how to configure them the safest, and the fastest (then i'll check what my system can handle).

right know i am at 11 2 2 2 2 13 15 1 3 3 3 3 3 4.

i would like some input on the last 9 timings.

:) ... as far as most of us know there is no rhyme nor reason as to how you must set them. Your settings are very close to a few I have seen posted and from 'my' personal testing> I see no real performance boost from varying the settings much from what you are using. What I 'have' found is to set them much differently from what you have will NOT boot up with some kinds of memory.

I do not use a bios with those settings in it but have before and I set them 1, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1 and 3. That is mighty close to what you have and I bet you could spend a week looking at combos of those settings and not make 1% difference anywhere. Oh yeah, except for the times it gets where it won't boot.

A friend of mine that was into statistical probabilities said the combinations approach some 6 million due the number of places you can change and the options in each place.

I am not going there at all.

RGone...

Guest Zero

when on auto they where like this: 3353224

(using evilous 429c18r other timings set at 11 2 2 2 2 13 15)

i wanted to know, not for the performance, but for the stability i might get from this.

right now memtest is ok or almost with mem at 3.3v, but prime fails, or worse, it crashed windows.

and now, memtest is crashing when i tell it to do only test 5, but only with 217b02 bios, when i switch the saviour to the original 11/27 it doesnt :(

i think i'll flash another bios later

should i leave the one thats at 13 and the other thats 15 like that too?

...man there is way too much difference from one board to the next to try and give a for sure you must set like this formula for the timings.

I change my timings around depending on what and how fast I really want to go. There are some benches that like cpu mhz. There are some benches that I know like a combo of as much FSB and cpu mhz as I can muster up to use. And then there are a few benches that the FSB almost exlusively is the 'king'.

Now since I have 5 close friends that have a total of 8 UI mobos and all push them like myself> I have to be serious about my tests among ourselves.

Example of what some of my buds run...

Now with those types of marks on air with just stuff we do as a hobby, it is very important that I science my own rig out. I do so. I test and test and keep setups that run certain benches better and I adjust accordingly when I am going to run for some numbers. This is part of the fun of the puter hobby to me. Tune, test and tinker until I know what mine does and that to me is really what has me hooked.

Sincerely, RGone...

:) Saulous posted these settings for 05/05 style bioses for 'highlander' in another thread. Numbers here then go find linky. ...Saulous posts about 5 down...

For the newer 7 settings FAST at top to SLOWER toward bottom is what he said they were. And I am sure he would say with certainty that you venture at your own peril. Those you see with the " 0 " listed as first will not boot my computer at ALL. They actually do not want to let 'me' back into the bios as 'they' are so FAR off for my board. Caution is paramount.

RGone...

Guest Zero

since yesterday, i´ve been having trouble with memtest test 5...

with 217b01 memtest would hang, not give erors (fist time for me to have this problem)

i swithced to 215, and it seemed fine. It was able to run more than 10 passes. i left it overnight, and it hanged on the 121 pass.

on a previous bios, i ran 300++ passes.

edit:

mmm, 215 bios runs the first set of alpha timings (fastest one if you are right),

weird that you could boot with it

:) ...hey man I am only reporting what I see and what little I can gather. Also you 'meant' can *not* boot with it as that is what I said.

One word here and that is that I 'only' run the 12/18/03 and the 12/31/03 bios as they have been the best so far for my personal infinity and my friend who is a 3dmark2k1 nut.

I do not flash off those two bioses to any later one "if" I can possibly help it. So no I really do not venture off into a bunch of new stuff as the few times I gone, there the later bios was not faster. Not for me. YMMV and you will have to test for yourself. Just be careful is my heartfelt admonition.

Sincerely, RGone...

Guest Zero

mmm, ok

12/31 = 1/31? if not, can you give me a link to it?

also, lower is suposed to be faster for avery timing?

PD: have you ever had the memtest hunguing thing?

edit: 12/18 = c18 and 12/31 = c/31, right? (i already have them)

:confused: ... I think you are confusing the issue perhaps. I do nOt run a bios with a swapped out romsip as indicated by the c18 you show. I only run the 12/18/03 or the 12/31/03 beta bios done by Oskar Wu. Not something done by others .

Original BETA bios by Oskar Wu version 12/18/03

Original BETA bios by Oskar Wu, Version 12/31/03.

Those are two of his original betas for Ultra Infinity boards and I think you have Ultra Infinity as well. You have LPb and I will have to get other links. Those are the two I run with Kingston BH-5 at 248x10.5 with mobile 2400+ with wire mods in the socket. Those two have no attempt at cold boot fix incorporated and were made when BH-5 was the rage.

Sincerely, RGone...

Guest Zero

yes, i knew, i have them, i wasn't clear.

N24IDC31.BIN

N24IDC18.BIN

what u do to figure it out is

(number of choices for first)*(number of choices for second)*...*(number of choices for last) = (total number of possible combinations)

:)

Originally posted by RGone

:) ... as far as most of us know there is no rhyme nor reason as to how you must set them. Your settings are very close to a few I have seen posted and from 'my' personal testing> I see no real performance boost from varying the settings much from what you are using. What I 'have' found is to set them much differently from what you have will NOT boot up with some kinds of memory.

I do not use a bios with those settings in it but have before and I set them 1, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1 and 3. That is mighty close to what you have and I bet you could spend a week looking at combos of those settings and not make 1% difference anywhere. Oh yeah, except for the times it gets where it won't boot.

A friend of mine that was into statistical probabilities said the combinations approach some 6 million due the number of places you can change and the options in each place.

I am not going there at all.

RGone...