[Infinity] Problem with Dual Channel and Crucial memory

gjweb

Hi, i have a strange problem with my new infinity, 2*512 crucial sticks (micron) PC 3200 and barton 2500+ unlocked

when FSB>215Mhz and vdimm>2.6V in Dual Channel mode i can't get my system rock stable with prime95 or OCCT for example but memtest doesn't show any error (test 5*100 with no error)

in single channel mode it's rock stable

for example at 230*[email protected], [email protected] (or 1.6V), timings 11-2-2-3 cpc off:

in single channel, vdimm @2.9V: memtest:OK, Prime95:OK, OCCT:OK

in dual channel, vdimm @2.6V:memtest:lot of errors, prime95:not tested, OCCT:OK (doesn't stress a lot memory sticks)

in dual channel, vdimm @2.9V:memtest:OK, Prime95: fail after 1 or 2 minutes, OCCT: fail after 1 or 2 minutes :(

same result at 230*[email protected] :help:

I've already tested many bios without success :(

PSU: Antec True Power 430W (same result with an enermax 350W)

2*Hitachi 7k250 in RAID0

APIC is off (system randomly locks with it enabled)

At the moment, my system run rock stable at 220*[email protected], Timings: 11-2-2-3 cpc [email protected] with dual channel, BIOS:1/31

Thx for help and excuse me for my bad english

Originally posted by gjweb

At the moment, my system run rock stable at 220*[email protected], Timings: 11-2-2-3 cpc [email protected] with dual channel, BIOS:1/31

So.... at these settings everthing is good but when you change move the vdimm to 3.2V it stops being stable? :confused:

Have you tried using some different timings when you push the FSB up? Maybe 11-3-2-3 or 11-3-2-2.5

Originally posted by king of nothing

So.... at these settings everthing is good but when you change move the vdimm to 3.2V it stops being stable? :confused:

yes @2.9V system stops being stable :(

in single channel, it's work well even @3.2V

:confused:

Well.... I don't know what to tell you.

It's possible your ram just doesn't like dual channel. That's why some companies make matched sets.

It seems from reading that 2x512 dual channel is often tricky to overclock. I have no experience with it, though. Some people choose to run single channel because they can get enough of an additional overclock to make up for the not using dual channel. Others feel differently about it. There are a lot of people around here with far more experience than me. Hopefully some of them will give you some advice.

some memory modules have voltage limiters on them...and some just wont work well beyond their rated voltage.

Winbond CH5 is a good example of this...there was a lot of CH5's that would crap out hard after 2.8v, some wouldnt even go over 2.6v

since i live Boise, Micron's back yard, I'll try to find a tech here that can maybe give a bit more info on this ;)