Western Digital HD?

I'm planning on getting a new hard drive. I've been eyeing the Western Digital 80G Special Edition at newegg and I was wondering what you guys thought of them.

I've read the sticky about WD IDE drives and their special preferences. I don't think that will be a problem... (I'm planning to set it as slave to my 40G Maxtor)... please let me know if I'm wrong.

There's also been several posts at amdmb lately about partitions getting messed up on WD drives. Is this a common problem?

I guess I'm just wondering if I should get something other than WD....

thanks

k0n

since my sig isn't done...

Lanparty - A

XP2500+

Buffalo PC3200

Maxtor 40G

G4-Ti4800-se

350W Enermax

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WD drives are OK, they haven't won any points with me lately since two of them died in my workstation at work. I've always liked Maxtor drives, but Maxtor hasn't won any points recently either. Have you looked at Seagate lately? They've got a lot going for them especially with the SATA drives.

Daddy

:)

Got 4 of em for $19.99 at a Office Max sale after instant and mail-in rebates. w00t.

Only issue most folks have with WD is using a single HD and setting it to Master. If you use a single drive pull out all the jumpers. Just set it as a slave to Maxtor and you should be good to go.

I have six different WDs running around my room. I had a problem with one twice in a row. They replaced it though.

Seagates are nice, but from what I have seen tend to perform a little less than Maxtor/WD. Not much though. They are very quiet however.

i have 7 WD800JB hard drives. I love them all. Whether single drives or RAID-0 drives, they perform top notch for me, and not a single one has failed or corrupted on me.

the price at newegg is awesome. I'd buy more if momma would let me...

Just something to consider, if you got the money a Raptor is the best HD available, expensive but worth every penny.

Theres no contest between a Raptor and any other HD available right now. Yes, the performance is definitely noticable, the increase in access time is wonderful. Did I mention their boot up time can't be mateched or beat by any of the others too. Did I also mention the time it takes to install of an OS is cut in half.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, nonetheless, at this time, Raptor's are the best HD performer.

Originally posted by Soap

Just something to consider, if you got the money a Raptor is the best HD available, expensive but worth every penny.

Theres no contest between a Raptor and any other HD available right now. Yes, the performance is definitely noticable, the increase in access time is wonderful. Did I mention their boot up time can't be mateched or beat by any of the others too. Did I also mention the time it takes to install of an OS is cut in half.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, nonetheless, at this time, Raptor's are the best HD performer.

Ditto, I agree whole heartedly with the Raptor. When your pushing these boards as fast as we are I've seen a lot of corruption in my maxtor. When I went with the Raptor that no longer occurs..One last + is a 5 year warranty..

Good Luck..