[Resolved] cd-rom drops after a while?

im not sure WHY this is happening or WHAT is causing it but that is why i have come for help!...any ways, after a while my cd-rom drives seem to "disappear" from "my computer"...it really blows because it only happens when its working, or trying to work, so always when i am doing important things...

specs:

dfi infinity

zalman 400b-aps

liteon cd-rw,

generic cd-rom

thats all i think that is important..please help! :)

1/31 but im about to go to 4/29 with 1/21 romsip(evilous)...should i wait till this is fixed or flash and see if it fixes?

...all the time to include the bios version you are using in a post asking for help. There are reasons for this that are beginning to form in my mind, as I see more and more people report some oddity after a flash to a mod bios.

Please respond your bios version so that I may add it to my bank of data.

Thanks RGone...

:) ...and others that may have seen this join the party.

I know you have had that board for some time and I have never seen you mention this before. When did it start? What have you changed that afterwards you now see it happen?

Now as for the flash to Evilous 04/29, I would certainly not recommend it as it is beta. One of the reasons I was asking you 'which' bios you were on was because I have seen a similar thing happen when using one of the mod bioses. I thought you might already be on one. I had the hardest time removing the fuzzies from my bios/cmos after flashing off to a mod and wanted back to the original bios or the early betas. There is something afoot that I do not have my finger on and may not be smart enough or equipped well enough to put my finger on.

Of course check to see if the burner has a firmware update and make sure that your Nvidia chipset drivers are not using the SW EIDE drivers from Nvidia but still on the MS furnished ones.

I was extremely interested to know if you were on some variant of the 04/29 or 05/05 or had been on one of them and now back to the 01/31 as I am trying to determne, if I see a pattern.

Thanks RGone...

This has happened to me once or twice before. Some CD/DVD ROM devices don't like being on the same bus as others using cable select. Try manually setting it for primary or secondary. Also, if there is a HDD on the same bus you will probably be better served to put the CD/DVD on a different bus as the primary. If you must put it on the same bus be sure to set you HDD as primary and you optical device as secondary.

Daddy

Originally posted by RGone

:) ...and others that may have seen this join the party.

I know you have had that board for some time and I have never seen you mention this before. When did it start? What have you changed that afterwards you now see it happen?

umm, i went to a different case, unplugged everything, used same psu tho, replugged everything in, and it happened..then i popped in my new psu and it still is happening..

Now as for the flash to Evilous 04/29, I would certainly not recommend it as it is beta. One of the reasons I was asking you 'which' bios you were on was because I have seen a similar thing happen when using one of the mod bioses. I thought you might already be on one. I had the hardest time removing the fuzzies from my bios/cmos after flashing off to a mod and wanted back to the original bios or the early betas. There is something afoot that I do not have my finger on and may not be smart enough or equipped well enough to put my finger on.

sounds good...ill wait and see if i get anywhere here, and if not ill flash..no big hurry really...a simple reboot fix's it..

Of course check to see if the burner has a firmware update and make sure that your Nvidia chipset drivers are not using the SW EIDE drivers from Nvidia but still on the MS furnished ones.

no upgrades at the moment....on the lite on...on the other one i dont know... as for which ide driver, when i go into device manager and click on the primary ide channel and then click on the "driver" tab, it says that microsoft is the driver provider...i assume that means it's MS's and not nvidias...

I was extremely interested to know if you were on some variant of the 04/29 or 05/05 or had been on one of them and now back to the 01/31 as I am trying to see if I see a pattern.

Thanks RGone...

never ever ever ever gone to 4/29 and 5/05... i have been on 11/27(stock) 1/21 and 1/31...so far 1/31 is the best....but i do get an occasional cold boot and im hoping that 4/29 and/or 5/05 will fix that... i have a back up bios, and have hot flashed many times, so no biggy if the evilous bios's mess with me :D

I'd recommend holding off on flashing any versions of 4/29 and 5/5 fer a bit. Don't think it's gonna help the diappearing drive issue at all.

Both drives doing a "Houdini" doesn't sound Kosher to me.

maybe:

Replace cable if current one is plugged in securely.

Using Nvidia IDE drivers perhaps?

Does it occur with the old CD-rom unplugged?

daddy- i had many issues with this before, it would be all confused and see one, but the other one i had to click on to see and random stuff like that..so i have em on primary/slave....good idea tho, i wasn't even thinkin of that kinda problem :D

Originally posted by boardsportsrule

daddy- i had many issues with this before, it would be all confused and see one, but the other one i had to click on to see and random stuff like that..so i have em on primary/slave....good idea tho, i wasn't even thinkin of that kinda problem :D

It is all good in the hood. I get the strangest problems when that is the deal tho. Things showing up, then disappearing, incorrect detection etc etc. I wish you luck!

Daddy