is the Intel chipset LP any good?

Here are a couple of memory read/write comparisons

aida%20read.JPG

aida%20write.JPG

So like AG said I think I will stick with the 875B since they have the bugs knocked out of it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JungleMan

Don't forget that his system is OCed.

An OCed 3400+ would smoke a P4 in almost anything ;)

ya if you could overclock a A64-3400 like you could a P4...but you can't so its a moot point.

as ohl says, the A64's are nice, but tehy don't compare to the P4C (the FX A64's do but those are what....$700?), and the platform is not nearly as mature nor stable.

stick to P4 if you need a work machine or have to have a reliable rig. Go with A64 if you want a toy to play with.

Well...it sounds like the P4 setup is a nice toy too!!

I'm not ready to make the jump to 64bit yet... seems the standards haven't really been figured out.... 939 due to be released (or is? I don't keep track) ....

seems the 64 platform is still a little bit in the air.

May 25th the 939's come out (tomorrow methinks!)

64-bit is still struggling...chipsets are still buggy, overclocking is moot at this time as its nowhere near as good as AthlonXP or P4...did I mention chipsets? Right now the best chipset is the VIA chipset as the NF ones are still buggy as heck.

but

i can tell you from this A64 3400+ K8M800-MLV im typing on...i can see why A64 is going to be the big deal...man this thing is uber incredible!

they dont oc as much, but the amount they do oc will scale better...and ANY a64(at stock) will kick ANY a-xp at stock... a 3000 64 will kill a 3200 xp... the chipsets blow tho...and to many things coming out now/soon to really judge anything..with pci-x ddr2, socket 939( some new socket with intel, im sure will come out) we best be waitin to make a call yet...im prolly goin with amd because generally its cheaper and i dont video edit(what p4's are best at)...mainly just game :)

DDR2 is something that Intel is pushing, not AMD. They (as well as most of us) believe that DDR2 is too high latency to provide a benefit, especially with newer DDR1 mfg techniques that are pushing the limits of what DDR1 can do even higher.

PCI-X is something we will have to wait and see if companies like ATI/NV take advantage of. If they only produce a few cards, then mobo chipset makers wont be pushed into including this feature.

Intel's new Socket T (775) is coming, but I dont have much information on this as of yet.

Gaming on a P4 is the same as gaming on an Athlon or A64...pretty damn good =)

haha yea, i wishi had a p4/A64, right now my A-xp works, but i really want something faster( end of summer i will upgrade....arg, i hate being poor!) socket T looks like it might be a bust, VERY fragile pins/chip, intel WONT warranty so MOBO makers dont want to get tons of RMA's due to such fragile cores/pins, thus board that not much effort go into, will be made :(. i hope we see some BH-4 come out...and i hope DDR 2 lowers the latency...great potentual, but so far poorely incorperated...as for PCI-eX, from the review of the alien ware dual pci-ex computer, i think it will kick some mega bootay :) but for now it's all speculation...damn i hate waiting!

Guest JungleMan

AG, A64s don't need to OC as much as P4s. a 3400+ already is smoking fast, and you can get 15-25% out of them on moderate aircooling, at that speed they will clearly dominate ;)

My P4 is pretty fast though...

Hi there;

Can,t wait untill the end of this week my DFI Infinity 875 B1 arrive,s.

Hear some good thing,s about it here in Holland.

Together with my preselected 2.8MO and a Gig. Adata Vitesta 4000 a hope to reach 250FSB.

Groetje,s Oranje

Guest JungleMan

Good luck! I did 250 with my 865 and 2.6C, you should reach it with ease :)