HELP with Lanparty NFII Ultra B needed

Just the other day ran into a situation where my system won't boot up, this board is only a couple of weeks old and was running well up until now. Now it won't initialize video, and the four onboard led's are all lit. I can't even get into the bios to revert to defaults. Is there something I'm missing or do I have a bad board?

Athlon XP 3000+ Barton w/333 fsb

2x512 megs Ultra PC2700 ram

GeforceFX 5950 Ultra 256meg

Diablo 450W PSU

I recently flashed to the latest bios on the dfi website, worked with no problems. I'm wondering if I need to do a 'hot flash' as per another post here, but not sure how to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, tis no probs...

Step 1 - Fire up the good board and get it to the point of being ready to flash bios.

Step 2 - Remove bios from working board

Step 3 - Insert dodgy bios chip

Step 4 - Flash

Step 5 - Remove bios chip

Step 6 - Put original bios chip back again

Step 7 - reboot

Step 8 - Put the chip you have in yer hand back where it belongs!

(advice given by Marci @ over-clock.co.uk)

~Kelt~

Hi Angry, I'd certainly appreciate any help you can offer. But the bios I flashed was right off of your website? Didn't say anything about being beta. It's appearing that the bios saviour is a good idea before flashing this board at all?

where did you get the bios from? here at dfi-street?

The alpha and beta bioses are provided by DFI for testing and troubleshooting, but are in no way honored under DFI warranty.

User assumes all risk in flashing motherboard to any bios other than Official releases at the DFI website.

If you plan to use Alpha or Beta BIOS, please have a backup plan in place, like an extra BIOS chip or a device like the BIOS Saviour.

Please do not contact DFI for warranty if you have flashed to any BIOS other than an Official BIOS. Support for the BIOSes listed on this page can be found through the Forum link on this page.

All dates are listed as MM/DD/YY.

from here: http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html

edit: please read the sticky and put your system specs in your sig ;)

No, the bios I used would be dated 11/27/03 from here

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bio..._FLAG=A&SITE=NA

I was just reading a faq on another site, this seems to be such a common problem it seems more people are experiencing it than not? Is this a design problem with the board itself? It's a pretty serious issue when the motherboard simply won't boot.

And also, if I have to pull my bios chip and ship it out to have it reflashed, would this not void my warranty? Wouldn't it make more sense to return it for a replacement considering it's less than two weeks old and simply not working as it should? I'm seriously not so sure I should be having to do all this just to get this motherboard to work properly :(

But if I invest in this bios saviour, will I be able to hotflash my old chip myself without having to send it out to anyone?

I appreciate any advice; I'm still deciding whether or not to simply to ask DFI for an rma on this board but I don't want to wait a month for a replacement.

Hi Flagg, I must admit that you have me a bit confused. You say your board is a couple of weeks old? Well, all new boards (mine included) were shipped with the 11/27 bios version installed.I'm sure AG will confirm this.So, maybe you've given the board a problem trying to flash from 11/27 to 11/27, not sure, but hope you get it sorted.:)

~Kelt~

ya now I am confused. All the boards ship with the 11/27 bios which is the last official bios.

if you pull your bios chip and send it to us to have it reflashed it wont void your warranty (unless you do crazy stuff like scuff your feet across the carpet and zap it a few times!).

its cheaper this way for both parties than to send the entire board.

but

you can RMA the board if you wish back to the vendor and have it replaced (as being only a couple weeks old it should be under vendor RMA return period still).

just let me know what you want to do and I'll help you get it done ;)

I can't remember what date the original bios was, but I'm almost positive it wasn't 11/27.

Anyway, can I fix this problem by getting the bios saviour? Will I be able to flash my old bios chip in it if I install it on this board, what bios will it come with pre-installed?

This seems to be the most sensible approach, failing that I can send it to Angry's tech if need be.