Boldeagle

Which Brand Of Hd4850 Should I Get, Wanting Technical Input Please

Okay after seeing all the reviews on the HD4850 and HD4870 I just can't help myself and have to get one. I currently have a Crucial x1900xtx and it's getting dated and holding back the rest of my system. Also I have Crysis coming in 2-3 days and don't want to play it on mid-low settings.

I have a choice of the following 5 Brands and would really like some technical input into which may be the better choice, especially after noting some reviews talk about the heat being generated from these cards:

GeCube

Gigabyte

Hightech

Powercolor

Sapphire

I come from Australia and we wont get some of the brands that you may, here is a link from on online retailer that carries the most brands of HD4850:

http://www.onlinevip.com.au/advanced_searc...amp;x=0&y=0

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

It's not going to make much difference I think, especially seeing as everyone is going to be using the reference board at the moment.

Compare price and warranty lengths to decide really.

RMA procedures might be influential as well, but I don't have any experience dealing with any of the companies in that regard (and RMA service can vary by region anyway).

Note that Sapphire are still the biggest OEM for ATI cards, but that doesn't mean they will be any better / worse.

There all basically the same just choose one that has good warranty, and good customer support, unless you come across a visiontek card i say go for that one since they have life time warranty.

I like my Sapphire HD4850, I was able to get higher clock speeds with it than Alan was able to get with his PowerColor.

My scores were slightly higher than his were with the same setups. I would put my money on the Sapphire card. It also seemed to run cooler than his did

Scratch GeCube off your list. They leave service/support to the vendors. The vendors generally don't accept returns after a very limited time.

Scratch GeCube off your list. They leave service/support to the vendors. The vendors generally don't accept returns after a very limited time.

Cool thank you will keep that in mind.

Gigabyte

Powercolor

Sapphire

whatever gets you a free game or cheapest (depends if the games worth it)

Gigabyte

Powercolor

Sapphire

whatever gets you a free game or cheapest (depends if the games worth it)

Haven't found any games with them at all, maybe cause there so reasonably priced they have left the game out? Strangely I can get them for ~$220AUD and yet the 4870 is about ~$440+ so can get crossfire 4850 for same price.

Haven't found any games with them at all, maybe cause there so reasonably priced they have left the game out? Strangely I can get them for ~$220AUD and yet the 4870 is about ~$440+ so can get crossfire 4850 for same price.

theres already a huge demand on the 4870's, and there are hardly any around in stock. they can sell them for way too much. if you want a 4870, wait a month and youll get it for way less

I went with 2 ASUS 4850s. They were reviewed in a couple of places that preferred them over a few of the ones you mentioned. Comes with software to manage the fans that takes care of the heat issue somewhat.

3 year warranty which is way more than the life of the technology.

I have had good RMA luck with ASUS. I have only had to RMA 1 thing ever to them out of dozens of their products that I have owned.

I am using this in addition to help cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835888112

It helps!

They use the ASUS 4850 in this comparison

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4850,1957.html

Edited by InCrYsIs

good luck, keep this thread alive, when you get everything, post some pics of your build and some benchmark scores and temps! I am interested to see what you get for scores

what motherboard did you get?

Id personally go with a Powercolor. There will be no performance differences at the moment between any brands because they are all reference cards.

However Powercolor, Gigabyte, Asus and Saphire have been around the longest so you would expect to get the best manufacturer support out of these brands. And powercolor will be the best value