Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

Farcry 2

Anyone else having stuttering under DX10?

I get it on all resolutions with all settings on all cards and drivers, 4870X2 right through tri-SLI.

Only fix I've had that worked is setting [ gfx_maxfps 39 ] in the console. Kind of sucks when you can get >100FPS otherwise...

Anyone else having stuttering under DX10?

I get it on all resolutions with all settings on all cards and drivers, 4870X2 right through tri-SLI.

Only fix I've had that worked is setting [ gfx_maxfps 39 ] in the console. Kind of sucks when you can get >100FPS otherwise...

Yup. Same here. I'd say a good 75% of the time my frames are well above 60 fps for smooth gameplay at 1680x1050, but otherwise I get horrible stuttering, lagging, etc. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm on the latest ati 8.12 catalyst drivers. The game is patched. This is . me off, because this could be a superb gaming experience if it wasn't for that 25% of the time where it lags. It also crashes every now and then, and I've already learned the hard lesson twice of not saving frequently.

Edited by Crow47

I haven't experienced any stuttering or odd graphical anomalies, but I'm using an nVidia card. From what I've read elsewhere, it seems everyone having performance issues with this game is using Ati.

I haven't experienced any stuttering or odd graphical anomalies, but I'm using an nVidia card. From what I've read elsewhere, it seems everyone having performance issues with this game is using Ati.

Sadly it seems to be like that. I wonder if I should RMA my 4870's and get a gtx280 lol.

in my 2nd week of playing..no problems at all with my nvidia card. and farcry 2 is finished!yeap...:)maybe if i play again with ati...it will take 3 weeks:P

Sadly it seems to be like that. I wonder if I should RMA my 4870's and get a gtx280 lol.
I should say that my stuttering isn't really "choppiness" or lag, per se. It's just a 9800GX2-like micro-stuttering, if anyone has seen that. I get >100FPS with the tri-SLI setup, but things only get butter smooth when I lock down the gfx_maxfps to a number <40. It's truly frustrating.

On the topic of the the GTX 280, I have been supremely happy with it. The value is somewhat lower compared to the other cards, but I was able to step-up my quad SLI setup and get 2 for free, then get a third with my 730x.

Even with 1 card, I get >40 FPS in FC2 (or pretty much any other game, for that matter) with literally every quality setting maxed. It's quite a change from the <30FPS spasm that is Crysis.

Personally, I think the best value in the industry right now is 2 of the GTX 260s. I've seen them as low as $200 a pop after MIR in the US recently, which means you could get 2 for the price of even a bargain 280, and the performance boost is noticeable. Had I been building a system from scratch, I likely would have gone for 260's in tri-sli, as think that is the better value.

in my opinion spending too much money for 2 or 3 videocards it`s not making any sense.anyway in 12months it`s going to be "old" it`s enough to buy one 4870x2 and u know that this one can keep up with the new games..

Yup. Same here. I'd say a good 75% of the time my frames are well above 60 fps for smooth gameplay at 1680x1050, but otherwise I get horrible stuttering, lagging, etc. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm on the latest ati 8.12 catalyst drivers. The game is patched. This is . me off, because this could be a superb gaming experience if it wasn't for that 25% of the time where it lags. It also crashes every now and then, and I've already learned the hard lesson twice of not saving frequently.

I have a 4850 and i was having those problems so i went back to old drivers and i stopped getting those stutters and lags.

P.S. Before i changed drivers i was getting textures on the wrong things, like road signs mapped out onto hill sides and stuff like that, until i went back to some old drivers. Don't know if that helps or not.

I'm in the southern section now and have had a blast playing it. I really suggest to people to SAVE YOUR GAME FREQUENTLY!!! Especially after each mission or after you've found a few diamonds, etc. I also recommend the Strategy Guide. It explains alot and gives some good advice, not to mention "maps". Also, you don't need EVERY weapon in the inventory at the Gun Shops. Many of them are pretty pointless. The biggest Sniper Rifle is overkill. The mid range one has the same stats except for the magazines are 10 rounds instead of 5 and the gun has less kick, which allows you to stay on target better. Along with that, I keep my Uzi and RPG and that's all I've pretty much used B:)

I did have one glitch yesterday... I took a buddy mission for the Xoing guy where I had to go to the Ranger Station and destroy some breifcase full of passports. I got almost all the way to the target, and went to a safehouse to wait for night so I could sneak in. I got in and out without much hassle, but upon returning to the Mikes Bar for Debreifing, I couldn't get in, although the red icon showed me I was supposed to be there. I took off and tried another mission and came back to try and get in and still couldn't. So... I had saved the game after accepting the mission, so I restarted there and went through that mission without waiting for dark, and came right back and got inside for debreifing without hassle. I have no clue what the hiccup was.. Maybe the safe house?

Also, there's plenty of missions where you go to take out someone. I took one where I had to go to the Dogon Villiage to obliterate some dude. I went to my safe house that's on the other side of the huge hill and then walked around staying low on the cliffsides. The target guy was wandering around aimlessly. I just watched my map for him and then when he was in the open, I sniped him in the head. I had zero run-ins with the "locals" B:)

On the downside and actually, kinda funny side, the "bots" are actually pretty stupid for the most part. I wish I had been making a few trailers for some of the scenerios I'd been through. There's been a few where I'm watching a couple twits in the jeep or in the car try and take off after me, only to drive straight off a cliffside or bridge :lol:

I loved Far Cry, but Far Cry 2 is definately my vote for Game Of The Year so far

I had the same problem with the bar i couldnt get into it even though the map said it was where i needed to go. Not sure what was gong on so i just back tracked and continued on without doing that mission...