Sign in to follow this  
Kamikaze_Badger

Farcry 2

Darn! I did a pre-order in store pick-up at gamestop and they won't have it until tomorrow. Patience is not one of my virtues!

Yeah, I was hoping to pick it up Tuesday but they didn't have it yet. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

8.5 from Gamespot and 8.9 from IGN. Not bad but thought it would do better.
What's odd is that if you read the Gamespot review (I didn't read IGN), it sounds like it'd score higher than 8.5 (not that 8.5 is bad or anything). Their whole review is glowing except in regards to the main storyline. The only other thing they complain about is the travel time, which IMO is a silly complaint...everyone's been praising the open-world African environment since it was announced...what does the reviewer want, teleports and rocket ships?

PS. It got a 94/100 from PC Gamer US and UK. I tend to trust PC Gamer US reviews the most out of anyone, though I haven't read theirs yet.

Far Cry 2 has been gotten and it is good! The whole travel thing is a load of BS, IMO. There are plenty of cars at guard posts and stuff plus there are four bus depots across the map to make traveling huge distances easier. Terrain is beautiful(All max on my rig sans AA. I can deal because it's amazing). Story is a bit bland and voice acting could use some work but I honestly don't give a damn. Everything is looks so vivid and feels alive. Crysis just got bumped down a notch, IMO.

Expect to see me shoot down anyone who says the game isn't absolutely gorgeous and fun. :lol::ph34r:

Yeah, I was hoping to pick it up Tuesday but they didn't have it yet. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

What's odd is that if you read the Gamespot review (I didn't read IGN), it sounds like it'd score higher than 8.5 (not that 8.5 is bad or anything). Their whole review is glowing except in regards to the main storyline. The only other thing they complain about is the travel time, which IMO is a silly complaint...everyone's been praising the open-world African environment since it was announced...what does the reviewer want, teleports and rocket ships?

PS. It got a 94/100 from PC Gamer US and UK. I tend to trust PC Gamer US reviews the most out of anyone, though I haven't read theirs yet.

I tend to agree with PC gamer. I do agree with the assessment on the gamespot score. Reading it you would have though 9 or better.

Well I got it this morning and it is truly beautiful. Visually, it's stunning - the trees have individual leaves, everything burns, etc etc. In terms of game concept, it reminds me of Just Cause/GTA - you work for a few people, set up safehouses, buy weapons etc. The healing is very nice: you get too low and you will die very shortly, so you have to pull a bullet out of youself (nice animation there!) and get to a low level of health by doing so. If you do "die" then one of your buddies comes and rescues you, taking out a lot of the bad guys (he left me with one when I died) and leaving you at a low level of health.

In terms of performance, it runs on my rig with DX10, 1600x1200 (yes, I am not yet on a widescreen) with all settings to maximum, at about 60FPS. I think that's pretty impressive.

Notwithstanding DRM issues, as a game itself, I have to say I'm mightily impressed.

I'll give multiplayer a try in a few days - for the moment, SP is good enough!

Edited by dode74

I tried to love it,

I have been playing for 2 days now and im sorry to say i just dont like it. I guess its a dissapointment as i wasnt a fan of GTA and seeing as this game plays the same way i dont like it :(. i was looking foward to an action packed game like Farcry 1 but all i got was a GTA in africa, it does look pretty but its just nmot my type of game such a shame.

gets 6/10 from me and i will be putting it on the shelf, also multiplayer is pretty crappy aswell, damn it i was so frikken exited when it arrived the other day.....truely dissapointed!

Edited by jackbrennan2008

I'm hoping it'll run decently for me. I'd be happy with native res, no aa. Hopefully my recent core 2 upgrade will help me a bit. I may wait for prices to come down a little on the game.

It might be time for a 4850, though. >_<

Edited by Crow47

Picked it up, tried it on my laptop (T7250 2.0GHz / 4GB PC2-5400 CL5 / Intel GMA X3100 256MB), obviously was crap :lol: 800x600 everything as low as possible = 3.84 FPS average :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to get home today, should have a nice couple of packages waiting for me :D

I love it...but it won't start about 50% of the time due to it thinking I'm using a "backup" copy. That, and it crashes every few hours to desktop with no explanation.