Uh Oh?

I'm using Coretemp, Everest and Real Temp.

Coretemp and Everest gives me 50-56 across all four cores on idle, and they move to 60 while playing Counterstrike Source, while Real Temp is giving me 40-50 on the cores on idle.

I've seen people complaining they idle at 40, so this worries me as I believe Everest and Core Temp are correct.

I'm only OC'ed to 2.6 ghz from 2.5, voltage at 1.2.

So should I worry? Everest says my idle is at 30 degrees celsius, but has four other cores that are atleast twenty above that.

Thanks.

By the way, sorry about making another Overheating topic.

Edited by Stryker125

My best guess is that you have a bad contact between your CPU and heatsink as that is a pretty good heatsink. Take it off and check to see what the contact is like by the mark the thermal paste has left on the CPU. If it has made it out to the edge and is spilling over then there is too much, this could be the problem. It could also just need reseated ie one corner is higher than the rest. 60 Degrees is high(ish) but not fatal but you definitely don't want a difference of 20 degrees between the CPU temp and core temps. Usually you want under 10 degrees difference.

Normally I would ask you too use some sort of stress program to take your CPU to 100% but I would be afraid that it might damage your CPU, CSS won't really put a decent load on your CPU at all so your not getting real load temps. For the time being I would remove the overclock and try reseating the heatsink or cleaning of the excess thermal paste (if there is any) or completely clean it and use a better kind of thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or my personal favorite OCZ Freeze.

Another factor is that you have a pretty recently made CPU and it takes time to find an accurate temp monitor as the TJ max varies from program to program, Everest is very good but you have to be using the very latest version that will recognize your CPU correctly, sometimes a BIOS update may be needed too, but unless your confident on a BIOS update I would advise you not to try it, its probably the number one way to kill a board if done incorrectly.

Very nice Rig by the way

Good luck Stryker

Realtemp is the right one and uses a TjMax of 95C for 45nm chips.

I get 30C on one core, 45C on two other cores and 40C on another core. They all even out to about 60C under load if I remember rightly. Very annoying, but never mind. So long as it stays stable, I don't really care.

q9300tempsjq0.png

q9300tempsjq0.461757985b.jpg

I don't think it's anything to worry about personally. I don't think my temperatures changed much at all when I overclocked.

Branjo, thank you for the advice it is dually noted, especially about the part about excess thermal paste. The only problem is the Zalman 9700 is a tough SOB to install, some people crack their mobos, I've survived the experience once and don't wanna try again unless its absolutely necessary. It shifts 15 degrees if moved by hand, which is normal I've heard, so it might be the setting too but I don't think so.

Arctic Silver is really tough to get rid of, so if I ever decided to mount a new hsf or whatever the case may be, I'd need to use chemicals or alcohol to get it off. The Zalman thermal paste is pretty good, not $10 good, but pretty good.

My Bios has been up to date since I've booted the system. It's the first thing I did after the POST. I downloaded the new one last week and flashed that in, making the board better in my opinion. Some people are in love with the original, but that's another issue.

Anyway, I've run Prime95 several times from 1 hour (When a good tv show comes on) to 6 hours (sleeping) and it's never really gone above 65-66 that I've seen. All 4 cores were at full load too.

I'm typing this after coming back from running Orthos for 1 hour and playing Counter-Strike Source while it was running. It (being Orthos) only occupied 2 cores and everything worked fine with the rest being at 50% load.

I just want to see what temps others have running with the same CPU, overclocked, underclocked, and try to get a feel for where it should be on the core side, as I'm not worried about the 34 CPU temp I'm getting.

By the way, Thanks for the compliment, I worked pretty hard on the rig and I've got the cuts and empty bank account to prove it.

markiemrboo, I'm still hearing discrepancies about the TJMax of the new 45nm chips. Do you have any documentation to show that it's 95? Because then this would not be an issue anymore as the temps would be nice.

By the way, Thank you both for your quick and intelligent replies.

Edited by Stryker125

Arctic Silver is really tough to get rid of, so if I ever decided to mount a new hsf or whatever the case may be, I'd need to use chemicals or alcohol to get it off.

With Isopropyl Alcohol, it's really easy and takes literally a few seconds to get rid of all trace of AS5

I'm running OCCT Infinite CPU @ 69, 66, 68, 66 right now... 1.575V on water... I'd be concerned if it was much above 70...

I'd be bothered about temps in the mid 60s using anything other than stock cooling using only 1.2V however, unless the room is quite hot...