Pc Games Are So Expensive

Rogue_Zero

I used to get a lot of games from sellers that ship their stuff from Hong Kong. Usually $20 would get the english version of the game (no box or manuals, disc only) and a legit key. It took about 2 weeks for delivery but I never had a problem with a key not working.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be nice but then cost me another 35USD to have it shipped to Australia, thats how much 2Gb of RAM cost me from Crucial (close to the same weight!). My point is, it sounds like you have it very good were you are but in Australia we pay high prices for all forms of media and mostly due to middle-men with baseless justifications. When Nine Inch Nails performed over here they had heard how much their Music CD's were selling for and they blatantly told the Audience/ Crowd that we were being ripped off and to go and "steal" the CD from the music shops (the Video footage can easily be found on the internet)!!! This clarifies a very important point, don't even begin to fantasise that the producers (musicians, software developers etc etc) are getting their reasonable allocation of the sales/profits because they are clearly NOT!

So basically consumers in Australia are being "exploited" and therefore piracy is flourishing. As most decent hackers state DL the game and if you really enjoy it go out and buy the original!

Why don't you try downloaded the games? I'm not talking about piracy here, I mean using sites like Direct2Drive.com or the Steam engine. Won't it be the same price then, which means you would get games cheaper because the AU$ is worth more than US$.

Why don't you try downloaded the games? I'm not talking about piracy here, I mean using sites like Direct2Drive.com or the Steam engine. Won't it be the same price then, which means you would get games cheaper because the AU$ is worth more than US$.

I am certainly looking at alternative methods of consumption and I just got Crysis at what I feel was a reasonable price of eBay for $37.95AUD. Aussie Dollar is still less than the US, currently at 96.05.

pc games are expensive? cant say i agree

at first, i live in europe, so try to buy any game online for $50. saves me 20 euro. but i buy lots of games in a retail package in stores. just love having that box

so, 50 euro. I play games a lot. most games i play are being used for a minimal of 30 hours. This comes down to 1.66 euro an hour. gee, not all that expensive. i buy lots of DVD's as well. i wish i could finally buy my stargate DVD Box season 7 8 and 9 (season 10 sucked, dont want it) for 1,66 euro an hour. A season lasts 1109 minutes, lets say 1200. so thats 20 hours. wish i could buy them for 30 euro's

you pay 50 dollars or euro's for a game that will let you play it for hour after hour. some good games that really suck you in will get you way and way more. I remember my Diablo 2 time was over 2000 hours (bought it for roughly 15 euro), Europa universalis was used for nearly 900 hours. where else can you get so much of good quality time for just 50 dollars/euro's?

also, recently ive been keeping track of the indiegames that are always featured in the gamemagazine in buy every month. they usually cost like $15 or even less. in europe that means you pay for such a game about as much as a pack of toilletpaper. and these games are brilliant.

Last point, who ever said you gotta buy a game the day it comes out? just lag 3 months behind. or 6 months. games drop in prices faster then nvidia launches overpriced cards (they do all the time). so get some patience!

What i don't understand is why computer games cost so much

I'm afraid I cannot agree with that statement, PC Games for what you get are I think good value. They are cheaper than console games and if you think how many hours playing time you get out of each one, then I think the cost is fair. To maybe bring it into perspective, compare the price of a PC Game and a DVD Movie? You will get around 2 hours entertainment out of a movie for a price that is only around 50% less than a top game.

BUT, what hurts the PC Game industry and the pricing, is Piracy........... Whatever way you cut it guys, it's theft. Developers work very hard in a cut throat industry to give gamers the best they can. They then get ripped off for hundreds of thousands of dollars from cheapskates who pirate. And that also includes music - makes me angry :angry: . And the excuse about 'I wanted to try is first' is a lame one - download the demo. If we want cutting edge development then we should pay for it. It will never stop I know, but the prices could be so much lower if we all paid for what we used.

It's the same old story, the honest amongst us have to pay the price of subsidizing the scumbags of life!

[/rant]

I'm afraid I cannot agree with that statement, PC Games for what you get are I think good value. They are cheaper than console games and if you think how many hours playing time you get out of each one, then I think the cost is fair. To maybe bring it into perspective, compare the price of a PC Game and a DVD Movie? You will get around 2 hours entertainment out of a movie for a price that is only around 50% less than a top game.

BUT, what hurts the PC Game industry and the pricing, is Piracy........... Whatever way you cut it guys, it's theft. Developers work very hard in a cut throat industry to give gamers the best they can. They then get ripped off for hundreds of thousands of dollars from cheapskates who pirate. And that also includes music - makes me angry :angry: . And the excuse about 'I wanted to try is first' is a lame one - download the demo. If we want cutting edge development then we should pay for it. It will never stop I know, but the prices could be so much lower if we all paid for what we used.

It's the same old story, the honest amongst us have to pay the price of subsidizing the scumbags of life!

[/rant]

If a game is available on Steam, I don't pirate it, I buy it. A developer loses $3-4 on a $50 game that's pirated. Online publishing and self-sales are where they truly make money. Right now, developers need to start going the same way Valve went.

Oh please don't give me crap about music. Do you have any idea how much an artist makes off of a CD sale? Their money comes from merchandise and tours (which sell more merchandise).

Oh please don't give me crap about music. Do you have any idea how much an artist makes off of a CD sale?

Yes I do, as I have many friends who work in the industry, trying to make a living. Pirated music is a massive problem, much larger in scale than games. It's something I care about as I am a music fan of over 30 years. CD sales are dwindling, which is why impetus has moved toward tours and merchandising, to try and recoup the losses made from piracy. It's not something they wish to do, but something they have to do.

If you think it's crap, then that's your opinion - but I don't think it's crap and I know it's a serious threat to the future of the CD market, which is something audiophiles are very concerned about. True music fans are also collectors and we would rather have an album with artwork, sleeve-notes etc, as opposed to a digital download, which is normally poorer in quality than an original recording.

Apologies if this has gone slightly off topic, but piracy can only ever have a detrimental effect on whatever product is being stolen.

Piracy is a problem in any place it occurs. people spend lots of time making there cd's or games (few exceptions there though). however what is done against it isnt working at all. ive made a point of buying every game i play. i did the download part, free games for nothing. but it just didnt feel right, its really steeling. howeevr with the increasing piracy threat to developers on the game industries they developers make 1 major mistake: they use copy protection. copy protection doesnt work now, nor will it ever work. usually its cracked before its even released. still they keep putting them in every round disc they see. and these protections only give problems. i had to download C&C3 becouse the copy protection refused to boot my game, bioshock was downloaded as well, even though i own it legal. then there are all the no-cd cracks, remove video cracks etc. you can almost say most games work better and faster when its illigal then buying it legal. talking about a good way to scare off your potential customers.

the same goes with DVD's. some years ago when StarWars 2 was released, i was eagerly waiting to finally see it. and suddenly it showed up on the internet in very very good quality. also i really dislike the cinema. if they released it on DVD the day it came into cinema i would have bought it, now its still on my to-buy list

I also own a matchbox20 CD. i never listen to it. when used in a pc it gives some weird annoying mediaplayer and i just cant load the music in my winamp or WMP. i understand why this would have been done, but i ended up downloading it in mp3 so i could just listen to it

i would hate to see everything moving online. i like the cd cases, the dvd season boxes and the wall filled with my game cases, however as it is now there simply isnt any reason to buy stuff instead of downloading......quiet the opposite. id like to ask all the developers and stuff to finally see that its better to remove all copy protection all together, its not like its working, so do the people who do buy legal stuff a favor!

(sorry, bit off topic)

Piracy is a problem in any place it occurs. people spend lots of time making there cd's or games (few exceptions there though). however what is done against it isnt working at all. ive made a point of buying every game i play. i did the download part, free games for nothing. but it just didnt feel right, its really steeling. howeevr with the increasing piracy threat to developers on the game industries they developers make 1 major mistake: they use copy protection. copy protection doesnt work now, nor will it ever work. usually its cracked before its even released. still they keep putting them in every round disc they see. and these protections only give problems. i had to download C&C3 becouse the copy protection refused to boot my game, bioshock was downloaded as well, even though i own it legal. then there are all the no-cd cracks, remove video cracks etc. you can almost say most games work better and faster when its illigal then buying it legal. talking about a good way to scare off your potential customers.

the same goes with DVD's. some years ago when StarWars 2 was released, i was eagerly waiting to finally see it. and suddenly it showed up on the internet in very very good quality. also i really dislike the cinema. if they released it on DVD the day it came into cinema i would have bought it, now its still on my to-buy list

I also own a matchbox20 CD. i never listen to it. when used in a pc it gives some weird annoying mediaplayer and i just cant load the music in my winamp or WMP. i understand why this would have been done, but i ended up downloading it in mp3 so i could just listen to it

i would hate to see everything moving online. i like the cd cases, the dvd season boxes and the wall filled with my game cases, however as it is now there simply isnt any reason to buy stuff instead of downloading......quiet the opposite. id like to ask all the developers and stuff to finally see that its better to remove all copy protection all together, its not like its working, so do the people who do buy legal stuff a favor!

(sorry, bit off topic)

Its only stealing if you're wearing a black sock over your head.