Help, I'm Burning Up.

I need help. No matter what I do, I can't get my core temps below 56C (133F), idle.

Even when I underclock to 2.3 GHz, my temps are still the same. I run my fan at 2800 rpm constantly. I lowered my cpu voltage to 1.14, the lowest it goes before I can't boot up. I don't know whats going on, this is my first build and OC, can some one please help me here. Here are my specs.

Intel q9300 (OC to 3.0GHz) I set my FSB to 400MHz (shows in BIOS as 1600) synced with ram (shown as 800) Multi is at 7.5 (highest it goes)

EVGA 780i mobo

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm /w that thermal stuff

2X RX3870 512MB GFX

OCZ ReaperX HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), I don't know how to set timings, so i left it default

Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1

Some one please help a newb out. :smack:

Also, another things that I can't figure out. In CPU-Z it shows that my multi keeps going from 6.0 to 7.5, back an forth, what seems like random to me, how do i keep it static?

Edited by NueBewb

The multiplier going back and forth is a power saving feature you can turn off in the BIOS. As for the temperature, is it an onboard sensor you're using? Did you try reseating the heatsink?

Yes, its an on board sensor, I also have a heat senor which i jammed as close to the CPU as possible in the heat sink, that says about 35C, which is much better, but I don't trust it.

As for reseating the heatsink, I haven't tryed that yet. I'll give it a try right now and let you know what happened.

I'll rummage through bios for the powersaving thingy, not sure what it would be called though.

I just re-did my heatsink, cleaned it up a little, apparently I put a little much thermal stuff and it leaked the tiniest bit out of the sides.

I also re-positioned my chassis' heat sensor to right on top of the copper square that sits on top of the CPU, before it turns into the tubing and heatsink. So its even closer to the cpu. The temp its reading now is 28C. but my everest is telling me each cores is at least 56C. I don't know maybe I'm reading it wrong, are the cores supposed to be that hot, because it says CPU is at 27C and CPU #1 Core #1-4 are all at 56C. hopefully I'm just being over analytical and reading too far into this and the cores are supposed to be that hot. If this is the case, then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Also had another question, how/where can I find good timings for my RAM? Should i leave the ram V alone? How about the FSB V?

Coretemp is showing 55C-57C range, Realtemp on the other hand is saying 45C and lower. I don't know who to believe. Chassis heat sensor is still showing 29C.

Edited by NueBewb

What method are you using to apply thermal paste?

For Intel quad cores it's a bit different.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html (last one)

Unless of course the new ones are all on the same die and I'm just that far behind in technology...:(

Wow, I actually did not know that there was a specific method to applying the compound. Thank you very much, I will re-do it tomorrow when I'm sober. :blink: