Trying To Get My E8400 To 4.0

Well I finally put in the money and got a new system. I could say the specs are in sig but I haven't updated that yet so they are as follows.

Core2Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0ghz

DFI Lanparty X38 DK

4gb G.Skill DDRII 800

600W OCZ GameXStream

Diamond HD3870

Tried raising the vcore a bit to get it higher which did work but I'm not really sure how far I can push that w/o frying it. Can you guys think of anything I might be missing? I've seen on a couple forums that people have gotten 4.0 on these E8400 Wolfdales so I hope I can too.

Edit: specs now in sig too.

Voltage is around 1.36. Ram is at 400/800 using default settings for ram which appear to be 5-5-5-15 and the ram is at 1.8v. Need anything else? Have gotten it to boot and load up at 4.0 but it freezes and fails in prime95.

So far so good at 4.0 hasn't bosd' or froze for 5 minutes so its more stable than before. Testing with prime 95 now. You think 6hrs is a good length to see if its stable?

Edit: And its not stable after running for 4min. Any idea on how I can get it to be stable. At least its stable enough now to run idle.

Guest ajmatson

Bump your Core Voltage up a bit. I had to set it to 1.45 for my E8500 to get it stable at 4.322MHz. Just cool your Northbridge too and I hope you are not using a stock Intel heatsink. What temps are you getting? Can you post some BIOS screenies because i am not familiar with many DFI boards. Maybe the DIY guys can chime in here :)

No not using the stock intel heatsink those things are rubbish. Board came with an awesome NB heatsink and I mounted a fan on it so that should be fine. I suppose I can bump the vcore up a bit. I'll see what that does and post some bios screen shots in a bit. As for temps I'm not sure what to trust. Realtemp gets around 53C but Coretemp says 63. The motherboard sensor says 28C.

Edit: Bumped vcore to 1.37. Realtemp now at full load stress testing is at 70C while coretemp is at 80C and MB cpu temp is 60C. I think its stable now its been running for longer this time without failing.

here is a cpuz from my Xeon E3110 (same chip as E8400)

you can get there...

that was at 1.65 volts but i have great air cooling from my dual fan TRUE.

temps do not exceed 60C with all 4 cores under load.

post-18473-1214357281_thumb.jpg