Parents Threatening To Kick Me Out And Cut Me Off...

airman

So I just ran into my dad tonight just after I smoked a cigarette. He smelled it on me and says if I keep smoking that he'll cut me off, not help me out on my tuition nor allow me to live in the house anymore. I really don't see the issue here...I am of age to do so, I don't smoke more than a pack a week, and I definitely don't smoke inside the house or when they're around. He said that by helping me out with tuition, he's essentially helping me buy cigarettes which he doesn't condone. I have a job, I make about $150 a week. Is this irrational? It's not like I am doing drugs, I am more than willing to pass whatever test he wants me to.

I've wanted to move out for a while, but I really don't know what to do here.

I don't want this to turn into a thread about how smoking is bad for you and that I should stop, that I know. It says it right on the box. I'm really trying to get some insight about how he would feel so strongly and so strict about it...especially threatening to kick me out and cut me off.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KrankyOldLady

Just stop smoking and dont make a big deal off it, tell him he is right and leave it there.

Carry one of those small cans of Axe or maybe some cologne to mask the cigarette smell before you walk back into the house.

Don't encourage him kash :P

I hate to say it but there just looking out for you and your health. But trust me that will turn into an addiction i have a GF who used to smoke like 1 a week, now she smokes like 5 a day, and shes only 16 :( iv tried as much as i can to cut it down, and STOP permanently, but its hard she says shes addicted. That's not to say iv given up, im still trying my part.

I don't want this to turn into a thread about how smoking is bad for you and that I should stop, that I know. It says it right on the box. I'm really trying to get some insight about how he would feel so strongly and so strict about it...especially threatening to kick me out and cut me off.

Did nobody read this?

He's perfectly within his rights to smoke and obviously understands the health issues, so forget about that for a minute.

airman - As for how strongly your parents feel about this, I do think it is a little harsh considering you don't smoke in the house itself. I assuming you've made the points that you understand the risks and basically pay for them yourself already, which is about all you can do. If they still want to cut you off for smoking then just accept that you have a choice to make.

its a nasty habit, kick it now before you're smoking 2-3 packs a week. oh and you will be :)

Just stop smoking and dont make a big deal off it, tell him he is right and leave it there.

I hate to say it but there just looking out for you and your health. But trust me that will turn into an addiction i have a GF who used to smoke like 1 a week, now she smokes like 5 a day, and shes only 16 :( iv tried as much as i can to cut it down, and STOP permanently, but its hard she says shes addicted. That's not to say iv given up, im still trying my part.

Clearly nobody knows how to read...

clearly EVERYBODY knows his parents are watching out for his health, and clearly EVERYBODY knows smoking can and will turn into a habbit/addiction, they say they will stop and look what happens teens addicted :(

But if you want disregard what i just said and just take it that THEY ARE LOOKING OUT FOR YOUR HEALTH

yet again occ turns into a parent help forum. either move out and be a big boy our listen to someone that who is older then you and whose house you live in. no matter what age you are when you live in someones house you need to live by there rules or get out

keep on smoking. i've been doing it for around 7 years and i don't smoke more than a pack or two a week - in fact i didn't smoke a single cigarette yesterday. those who insist that you will smoke more and more are the reason people smoke more and more. when will people realise that it is that attitude that creates addiction - it's no myth, but it doesn't help matters to constantly reinforce it. when people are constantly told that they will become an addict they have a tendency to believe it after a while and simply stop caring.

what is likely to hurt your future more - smoking a few cigarettes, or being kicked out of your home and cut off?

when you look at it like that, it's hard to say that your parents have your best interests in mind.

Edited by psycho_terror