Ati ---or--- Nvidia

When I built my rig last November, I had been an ATI user for a long time. When I saw the specs on the 8800 series, and had looked into the ATI offerings, I went with the Nvidia 8800GTS 640 at first, but then also found a used 8800GTX for a mere $20 more. I bought it, and then resold the GTS for the exact same price I paid for the GTX :P

Anyway... after completing my friends new rig, which is very similar to mine, he was considering replacing his "beloved" ATI All In Wonder X1900 video card. I've been trying to get him to try an Nvidia card and every time we look into one of them, he'll ask about the ATI cards. I've been googling for 3 days now looking at benchmark tests between the Nvidia 8800's, 9800's and the ATI 3800's and 4800's. Just when it looks like the Nvidia's are winning, the ATI's will beat them out on this game or that game, etc... 6 months ago, the Nvidias were stomping all over the ATI's and now the ATI's have finally grasped a "clue" and have kicked themselves in the . and got back into the race.

We're looking at replacing the X1900 with the 8800GT, but the Nvidia 9800GTX's and ATI HD4850's are getting pretty attractive. On top of all that, he wants to stay under $300 if possible

What are peoples opinions on the Nvidia 8800's and 9800's vs the ATI 3800's and 4800's?

Are you a loyal "brand groupie" or a "mercenary" who goes for performance or price/bang for the buck?

When I built my rig last November, I had been an ATI user for a long time. When I saw the specs on the 8800 series, and had looked into the ATI offerings, I went with the Nvidia 8800GTS 640 at first, but then also found a used 8800GTX for a mere $20 more. I bought it, and then resold the GTS for the exact same price I paid for the GTX :P

Anyway... after completing my friends new rig, which is very similar to mine, he was considering replacing his "beloved" ATI All In Wonder X1900 video card. I've been trying to get him to try an Nvidia card and every time we look into one of them, he'll ask about the ATI cards. I've been googling for 3 days now looking at benchmark tests between the Nvidia 8800's, 9800's and the ATI 3800's and 4800's. Just when it looks like the Nvidia's are winning, the ATI's will beat them out on this game or that game, etc... 6 months ago, the Nvidias were stomping all over the ATI's and now the ATI's have finally grasped a "clue" and have kicked themselves in the . and got back into the race.

We're looking at replacing the X1900 with the 8800GT, but the Nvidia 9800GTX's and ATI HD4850's are getting pretty attractive. On top of all that, he wants to stay under $300 if possible

What are peoples opinions on the Nvidia 8800's and 9800's vs the ATI 3800's and 4800's?

Are you a loyal "brand groupie" or a "mercenary" who goes for performance or price/bang for the buck?

Get the 4850 - coming from a total mercenary. I dropped AMD in a hearbeat for Intel as soon as I could get myself a 45nm :lol:. Price:performance is what it is about, and "fanboyism" will often leave you spending more for less. The egg has em for $170 after MIR and the performance is AMAZING for that price - it destroys the 8800GT.

Two of them would put him over budget but give top of the line performance - and for under 400 bucks to boot.

Personally I am waiting on the 4870X2's performance and price to become available.

Yeah, definitely go ATI. Up until about a week ago I was a die-hard nvidia fanboy when my friend gave me his used hd 2900. The thing is, ATI just seems to work, plus they're usually great on overclocking.

I'd get a 4850 but if you can wait get a 4870 those are supposed to be priced at around 300 dollars.

nVIDIA is the BEST.

naive much?

well think again, as soon as you think ATI has the win, Nvidia steals the spotlight once again in the, supposedly they are to release a 9800GTX+ that should compete with their 4850 and maybe with the 4870, just like how the 9600gt, and 8800gt wiped the 38** series.

As for me im planning on going with a 4870, and in about a month or so will buy another one for Crossfire.

Does anyone think it's kind of funny how....

Intel Slammed AMD down with early duo-core, quad core advantages that rocked amd's attempt to follow (dont they own ATI?)

and how when ATI even speaks of releasing cards to try and come back to re-gain market share

nvidia slaps out the 9800gtx+, the 2xx series, just like intel did to AMD

why does this seem so strangely familiar.

i always try to match boards, my amd's have ati's and my nvidia chips have nvidia cards, i dont like to just buy a card soley on any one thing,

you have to fit it to what your using and going to use..

its too broad of a market anymore to just buy a card

and expect it to compete in the long run with how fast cards like that come out anymore

i was a loyal ATI follower, until i upgraded to the 7950 gt oc, and have used nvidia ever since. i just cant stand the heat every nvidia card i have had has put out...

Edited by cirro

Okay, PC Gamer just gave gave the GTX 280 a 97% in the august issue. Here is the thing. Do I wait and see what the 4870 does? Is the Physx a big deal? DX 10.1 vs 10? 649? Christ thats crazy!

I hate these decisions.

i always try to match boards, my amd's have ati's and my nvidia chips have nvidia cards, i dont like to just buy a card soley on any one thing,

and expect it to compete in the long run with how fast cards like that come out anymore

Lol, well that's just silly. You shouldnt buy any AMD stuff atm, and since Intel is having a big hissy fight with nvidia, Ati would be the prefered choice because you can cross-fire them. Also nvidia boards are generally sub-par to the intels, the only reason for buying a green team board is SLI.

Edited by Comp Dude2

Does anyone think it's kind of funny how....

Intel Slammed AMD down with early duo-core, quad core advantages that rocked amd's attempt to follow (dont they own ATI?)

and how when ATI even speaks of releasing cards to try and come back to re-gain market share

nvidia slaps out the 9800gtx+, the 2xx series, just like intel did to AMD

why does this seem so strangely familiar.

i was a loyal ATI follower, until i upgraded to the 7950 gt oc, and have used nvidia ever since. i just cant stand the heat every nvidia card i have had has put out...

The 9800gtx+ is basically just a die shrink and price cut. Same chip on a smaller process, not a new card. The new ram used oc's better, but it is nothing to go crazy about performance wise. They just do not want to get CREAMED in the price:performance category so they HAD to release something that they can make and sell for less cash to compete. At 230 bucks it is a much better deal, but still about the same speed and 60 bucks more then you can get a 4850 for right now from the egg...and it is not even released yet.

The gt280 is a nice card - as fast as a 9800GX2 while having only one core, but again it is nothing revolutionary gaming performance wise. Unless you fold I see NO reason to get that card and would recommend the 9800GX2 over it. The $650 dollar price tag is way overkill for no performance benefit over their last top dog 9800GX2, which is now cheaper. They will try to poise the 9800GTX+ in the sweet spot to replace the amazing 8800GTS which had NO competition for its price, but that is not the case now that the 4850 is available. Smart move on nvidias part, but we will see how it works out.

Who cares if the one core is the same as two of the last gen cores if the power draw is too high to put two on a single card??? I was expecting big things from the gt280, but after releasing a 650 dollar card with the same performance as their last gen card Nvidia can, to be frank, blow me. Folding performance far exceeded my expectations, but I was not impressed with its fps.